when did they go to electronic ignition?

-
OK here is what I got from the sun cards they are 99% right usually. 72 all slants are P(points) E (Electronic) came in in 73
all these are 72
340- 240 hp are E
360- 175 hp are P
400- 190, 225, and 265 hp are P
440 -225 hp are P
440- 280. 290hp and six pack are E

73 all electronic. 71 all point, now there are the special orders like MP and dual point options to consider these are the stock production years. Hope it helped. Good question though. I knew 72 was the crossover just did not know exactly what and when.
400 4bbl on RR were electronic.

Crossover was October 1971, look at post 12

another question: was 70 the first year for 2 field alternator and therefore?? the "newer" style VR ??

70 was the first year for "standard" production of the isolated field alternator and the new "flat" VR. The alternator still looked Just like the 69/ earlier one (separate press in diodes) until ??73?? when they went to the new "squareback" design.

They started puttin in electronic ignition when they stopped point type ignition.

I have a 71 SLANT duster, the underhood wiring harness (original??) it has the two field wires, but looks like it was set up for the points dist ( it still has)..
question is when did they go to ECU ? and did the slant go to that at the same time as the V8 ??
From My own experiences, ScampMike has it right, I owned (2) '72 Swingers, the 318 was EI OE, the slanty was points, the '72 Duster I have is a slanty with A/C and has
points. As far as the squareback isolated field/electronic ground controlling regulator systems, they were implemented for the '70 model year, and has been My experience
so far..............

There was actually a FEW isolated field units BEFORE '70........don't remember the details.........but I DO remember that the original VR had THREE terminals...which is why the connector is shaped the way it is.

HERE IT IS NOW.........from the MyMopar files, the factory "Master Tech Service Conference"

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Browser MTSC by Topic - Electrical & Ignition System

NOTICE that what many call "dual field" the proper name is ISOLATED FIELD, and notice that in this tech writeup, the INSULATED FIELD is DIFFERENT and uses the oddball 3 terminal regulator, which was abandoned

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/269.pdf

"the movie version"

So here, from the movie, are the 3 alternator types as of 1970

Below, the familiar 69/ earlier "single field" terminal with one terminal grounded

69single.jpg

Below the familiar "isolated field" -------incorrectly called "dual field" that we all know so well

isolated.jpg

And last, the oddball. This was used in "some models" of the big boats in 69, has an INSULATED field but is connected differently, AND USES the oddball 3 terminal regulator

insulated.jpg

And here is the oddball 3 terminal VR used with the oddball "insulated field" alternator

regulator.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that is covered in the very musty, well-used 1970 Motors manual, in fact the early 3-wire set-up is the only electrically regulated (Mopar) setup covered in there.

Mopar was the first to offer electronic ignition standard. Just another useless fact.
I always thought 72 was the switch over year. Never saw a 71 with electronic.

Mopar was the first to offer electronic ignition standard. Just another useless fact.
Had at least four 1972 Plymouth/Dodge cars in the family. The 72 Dusters with the 225 and 318 had point ignition. The 72 Charger 318 had point ignition. The 72 Duster 340 had electronic.

Maybe Imperials and a couple other top option Mopars? Just like EFI, the early '80's Imperials had a MAF based TBI system, long before the trucks & 2.2/2.5's got it.

Glad I lucked out when I bought My Blue '72 318 Swinger, I used that for the SB swap In My old '69 Custom HT, including the EI set-up. Nobody made "curve kits" for them,
so I made My own mix & matching, then using a lighter to weaken them. Lol, I only had to pull the dizzy 3 times to get it right where I wanted it!:)

-
Back