When parting 66 Dart what all do you sell

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I ran into a 66 Dart that I can buy at a decent price. Its a /6 engine that I was told was last run a year ago. The car hasnt been on the road since 95 according to the sticker. Its a GT car but most of the trim is not in good shape but all there. I think I can put it onto a trailer and tow it home, Probably about a 25 mile trip. The front seats are not original but are high backs. Back seat is factory black. Has door panels and arm rests. Console and factory shifter with trans. Rear looks to be a 7 1/4. It has drum brakes all the way around. So what all would be sellable? Not sure on floors but would guess trans tunnel, dash and glass? Im trying to decide if its worth my efforts. rear quarters looked to be rusted in normal spots (wheel well and lower quarter. Not sure about frt fender condition. How do I decide what to offer. Im really only interested in the front grill and one headlight trim but he wont sell separate. Hoping to hear what all is worth removing and hanging onto to sell to get my money back. Last issue is no title at this time can be found. Your thoughts?
Thanks
Rod

If you have the time and feel like drilling spot weld almost every piece can be sold. Parts car early A bodies are worth around 8 or 9 hundred.

I was going to say - whatever someone needs that's better then what they have and they have money for will sell. Try to get it for scrap price or just above (few hundred tops).

one warning - you can get frustrated trying to get the parts off & shipped in a timely manner--- it can be rewarding but you will have to spend some time & effort to make it work. Lawrence

What color are the door panels and arm rests? What shape are the tail light lenses and front parking lights/turn signal lenses?

Almost every part on the car can and will sell! Patience will pay off here, and when the car is completely stripped, you can still make $125 on the shell as scrap! DO NOT put a " I'm parting this car, what do you need thread" as it will drive you crazy taking off parts out of "order"! Just take 6 or so items off at a time and list them seperately!

The fresh air box under the drivers side dash is always a good sell if it has a nice unbroken door hinge! Geof

Almost every part on the car can and will sell! Patience will pay off here, and when the car is completely stripped, you can still make $125 on the shell as scrap! DO NOT put a " I'm parting this car, what do you need thread" as it will drive you crazy taking off parts out of "order"! Just take 6 or so items off at a time and list them seperately!

The fresh air box under the drivers side dash is always a good sell if it has a nice unbroken door hinge! Geof

This is so accurate and will cost you a lot of extra work to make the same money.

I have not parted out a car in about five years but I could never predict what someone else might need. Being a one year only model and having the specific trim for a GT makes a lot of the parts difficult to find but that doesn't mean really expensive. Any decent trim or bumpers always find a home. Any chrome that is presentable will be needed eventually since nobody can afford to get stuff re-chromed. Nice interior trim is usually popular but look for cracks, wear and damage.
For me it was more about getting something I needed from a parts car and re-couping the cash. It takes a lot of space, time & effort to part out a car, specifically the packing & shipping portion.
As for an offer it would need to have some nice stuff on it to offer $1000, also $500 is cheap for a parts car.

My time is better spent at work earning a wage.

I will then pay someone else to find a parts car, buy it, tow it home, store it, take it apart, advertise parts, deal with interested buyers, sell parts, package parts, and ship parts.

The worst part of all is buyers think you should do it for practically nothing. I guess I'm probably wrong in my thinking, but I just don't see it as a good way of making money. If I wanted to make money on the side I think changing oil and brakes pads in the driveway for friends and family would be way more profitable and the neighbors probably would prefer that over a half cut apart car sitting alongside the house for a couple years.

I only buy parts cars if I need a lot of parts myself then the rest goes to the scrap yard.

Save EVERY part that is good, even damaged trim can be restored....it will all eventually sell.....they don't make these cars anymore.....

Every single part on that car has a value to somebody somewhere...if not right now, somewhere down the road. I do this stuff for a living, and it's NOT EASY!!...but, take your time, be as systematic as possible, and don't overlook even damaged parts as a source of income. When you advertise them, just be as honest and descriptive as possible. Research time will pay off well.
A car like that, complete is worth anywhere between $800 and $1200, and properly parted will net you around $6000. Sounds insane, right? See those sun visor screws? Someone in Norway is doing a big dollar resto on a car just like that, and he'll be happy to offer $20 for them. That's how it rolls!

My time is better spent at work earning a wage.

I will then pay someone else to find a parts car, buy it, tow it home, store it, take it apart, advertise parts, deal with interested buyers, sell parts, package parts, and ship parts.

The worst part of all is buyers think you should do it for practically nothing. I guess I'm probably wrong in my thinking, but I just don't see it as a good way of making money. If I wanted to make money on the side I think changing oil and brakes pads in the driveway for friends and family would be way more profitable and the neighbors probably would prefer that over a half cut apart car sitting alongside the house for a couple years.

I only buy parts cars if I need a lot of parts myself then the rest goes to the scrap yard.

My time is certainly better spent at work also, but when I'm not at work and need something to make a few bucks on, I always have a parts car to work on! My deal is that I need to make $100 a day, when I'm at work I can do that easily, but when I'm not, I can certainly take off $100 worth of parts and list them! Keeps me in the hobby, gets others the parts they need, and allows me car money!!

-
Back