When purchasing merch

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
How do you go about deciding on merch to buy?

Do you prefer the bigger YouTube channels that have huge facilities and spend hundreds of thousands on projects?

Or are you more likely to purchase from the smaller guy in a home garage or small shop just getting by as best they can?

I have been considering getting a few shirts and seem to be leaning toward the smaller more average guys.

How do you go about deciding on merch to buy?

Do you prefer the bigger YouTube channels that have huge facilities and spend hundreds of thousands on projects?

Or are you more likely to purchase from the smaller guy in a home garage or small shop just getting by as best they can?

I have been considering getting a few shirts and seem to be leaning toward the smaller more average guys.
Small guy with a home shop get's my vote. . How big of a budget does a small You Tuber have? I follow some Whiskey tubers that have $70-100,000 in Patreon alone. Not including their merch profits.

I prefer dealing with local small businesses here. My other go to is dealing one on one with members here.

I try to seek out the mom and pop types.

Small guy with a home shop get's my vote. . How big of a budget does a small You Tuber have? I follow some Whiskey tubers that have $70-100,000 in Patreon alone. Not including their merch profits.

I consider smaller YouTuber ones like 12 volt Dave, DD Speed Shop, Dead Dodge Garage and 318 Will Run along with some others.
I agree that some “small” are not that small as they might seem.

Cletus, Tom Bailey, Vise Grip are some that I feel don’t need my money.
Then of course there is the added limitations where I don’t care for a lot of the merch they offer.
Like “We’re gonna lose the shop” or the stuff specific to events I’ll never be able to go to, or have never been.

doesn't matter to me if its a big or little place, if i see something i like then screw it i'll buy it. i don't go looking to buy merch so its really only when something catches mt eye.

I consider smaller YouTuber ones like 12 volt Dave, DD Speed Shop, Dead Dodge Garage and 318 Will Run along with some others.
I agree that some “small” are not that small as they might seem.

Cletus, Tom Bailey, Vise Grip are some that I feel don’t need my money.
Then of course there is the added limitations where I don’t care for a lot of the merch they offer.
Like “We’re gonna lose the shop” or the stuff specific to events I’ll never be able to go to, or have never been.

how is 12v dave not big but vise grip garage is? doesn't make much sense to me. 12v dave is far from a smaller one in my opinion. maybe he plays it off well for some

how is 12v dave not big but vise grip garage is? doesn't make much sense to me. 12v dave is far from a smaller one in my opinion. maybe he plays it off well for some

Either way, I’m sure you understand the question.
Haven’t seen/noticed merch from Dave’s channel.

my number one criteria for a shirt is what it looks like. if i don't like the logo, design, or color it's a non starter for me.

all the rest of the decision falls into: do i like the person/business, how much the shirt is, will the design/logo attract the type of person i don't want to engage in conversation with.

i'm kind of not the demographic though, in that i don't wear t-shirts out like as casual wear. they're work shirts, usually under a long sleeve work shirt. but i'm more likely to buy from a smaller operation than a larger one. and i'd probably buy one from you if the design and color was appealing because you've given good advice and answered questions i've had here on the forum.

my number one criteria for a shirt is what it looks like. if i don't like the logo, design, or color it's a non starter for me.

all the rest of the decision falls into: do i like the person/business, how much the shirt is, will the design/logo attract the type of person i don't want to engage in conversation with.

i'm kind of not the demographic though, in that i don't wear t-shirts out like as casual wear. they're work shirts, usually under a long sleeve work shirt. but i'm more likely to buy from a smaller operation than a larger one. and i'd probably buy one from you if the design and color was appealing because you've given good advice and answered questions i've had here on the forum.

Huh, we have a lot of the same criteria.
Can’t see myself doing merch, though I do appreciate the confidence in my opinions.

Dave Newbern aka 12volt Dave.
He spent a lot of time on Mike Finnigans channel before going out on his own.
Merch? (merchandise) What does he have available? That was my question.

I prefer dealing with local small businesses here. My other go to is dealing one on one with members here.

I try to seek out the mom and pop types.
If we don't support small/local businesses, there soon won't be any.

I bought a t-shirt recently from Lucky's Garage Show. I know Lucky's a big Motortrend star, but this is his own YouTube channel. I like him and I can relate to him. I also bought a Dr. Diff shirt recently. Cass is a good guy and I appreciated his help and want to show my support.

Merch? (merchandise) What does he have available? That was my question.

I don’t think I have ever seen anything on his channel.
Might look into it today out of curiosity.

I bought a t-shirt recently from Lucky's Garage Show. I know Lucky's a big Motortrend star, but this is his own YouTube channel. I like him and I can relate to him. I also bought a Dr. Diff shirt recently. Cass is a good guy and I appreciated his help and want to show my support.

I keep up with Lucky as well.
Seems like a decent guy with fairly normal stuff going on for the average car guy.

T shirts??? Plain ole WalMart all cotton XL at $6 ea.\
hint: darker color show less dirt and grease:steering:

Same here, but I don’t care about grease.
I just get new ones once they are all stained and I don’t have a clean one to wear.

Same here, but I don’t care about grease.
I just get new ones once they are all stained and I don’t have a clean one to wear.
Reminds me of my vet's X that inherited quite a bit of $$ from her deceased mother. She quit washing her underwear just wore and tossed every day! He was pretty frugale and sent her packing...with her moms money and all. :rofl:

The determining factor is like anything else it really boils down to if the vendor is reliable, trustworthy, and will deliver a (quality) product in reasonable time at a reasonable price. There's good and bad vendors on both sides of the fence Corporate vs mom and pop, as we all too well know!

-
Back