When shopping, are LA & Magnum cylinder head bolts the same?

-
The long bolts for the Magnum are about two threads longer than the LA's.

As for the main cap bolts, I've not seen anything about them being torque to yield so should be good to re-use.

I don't replace them until the power levels go up a bit. The small block mopar lower end is pretty good until you start in the 450+ range. As long as the caps have no sings of walk or distortion the bolts should be fine.

Assuming they just never been over torqued, reuse them. Inspect the threads to tell.

And yes the head boltsare different, as mentioned.

I want to say one head bolt was significantly shorter on the magnum heads, but I could be (am probably) wrong. Maybe that was on Edelbrock heads.

Magnums use 5 long under valve cover and 5 shorts like LA on outside.

No, you can't. Unless you have 8 other long head bolts from other LA teardowns you have to have the Magnum set.

No, you can't. Unless you have 8 other long head bolts from other LA teardowns you have to have the Magnum set.

I've done the swap. I purchased the ARP head bolts for a LA and they are perfect, plenty of thread engagement and no worries at all. I dont know if those are different length than stock, but I bet its close.

Last edited:
I see on the ARP site that they list different head bolt sets for LA vs Magnum, and the illustration sure looks like the Magnum has all longer bolts for the uppers, and the LA just has one long bolt and the rest are 'not as long' bolts for the upper row. I cannot recall the length difference between the long and 'not so long' bolts, but it may be that the 'not so long' bolts will 'kinda-sorta' reach through the Magnum heads.
ARP - The Official Site | Chrysler - Small Block Kits

And of course, to confuse things, the Edlebrock Performers take 2 long and 3 'not so long' bolts ......ARP makes another set for that application FWIW.

-
Back