Where can I find a drum brake hardware kit?

-

Nidhögg

Reaction score
Hey!
I´m currently looking for parts to buy for my Dodge Dart GT -68, I´ve figured most of it out but I´m having trouble finding hardware kits for the rear drum brakes (discs in front).
I´ve concluded that I have 10"x1 3/4", and I´m gonna buy new brake shoes from Classic Industries (Link).
The trouble is that I can only find hardware kits for 9" drum brakes.
I want new springs, clips, self-adjuster and anything else that might be worth replacing.

Can I get these from newer models, or don´t they fit the small bolt pattern that I have?

I used 1969 Dart hardware on my 1968 Barracuda. They use the same drums and backing plates but in 1969 the hardware changed. That was about 5 years ago so hopefully it is still available.

Nidhögg;1970323483 said:
Hey!
I´m currently looking for parts to buy for my Dodge Dart GT -68, I´ve figured most of it out but I´m having trouble finding hardware kits for the rear drum brakes (discs in front).
I´ve concluded that I have 10"x1 3/4", and I´m gonna buy new brake shoes from Classic Industries (Link).
The trouble is that I can only find hardware kits for 9" drum brakes.
I want new springs, clips, self-adjuster and anything else that might be worth replacing.

Can I get these from newer models, or don´t they fit the small bolt pattern that I have?

I found a complete kit (with the exception of the adjusters) for 10 inch 1 3/4 inch shoes on eBay. I'll see if I can find the seller.

Well, that sounds a little promising, perhaps I would be able to use this hardware set for 10", 69-74, and this self-adjuster set, also 10", but 69-76?
The self-adjuster screw doesnt look like the one I have, but if they had the same drums and backing plates perhaps it would fit anyway?

Nidhögg;1970323504 said:
Well, that sounds a little promising, perhaps I would be able to use this hardware set for 10", 69-74, and this self-adjuster set, also 10", but 69-76?
The self-adjuster screw doesnt look like the one I have, but if they had the same drums and backing plates perhaps it would fit anyway?

It is shaped different because of the level that adjusts the wheel.
Mine worked fine. I had a broken lever and couldn't find one anyplace so I used the complete 69 set up.

I tell the parts store to look up a 72 Duster 340 or 318 car with 10" rear brakes. Get all of the parts for a 72 Duster.

The 68 10" brakes used a lower return spring that went from the front shoe to the self adjuster and the spring and cable assy attached to the other part of the self adjusting lever.

The 72 brakes used a lower spring that went from the front shoe directly to the back shoe with a radial spring for the self adjuster.

Order shoes, left and right hardware kits, and spring kit for a 72 Duster. Then you will have everything to make it like the 72 system.

Also the spring that goes on the rear brakes for the parking brake lever is available at NAPA part number 80744 and come 2 in a box. this is the oval spring that fits on the front of the parking brake strut that goes from the front shoe to the rear shoe at the top.

Also inspect the shoes when you pick them up. They sometimes give you shoes with triangular holes for the top two springs -->it won't work. You need the shoes with the round hole.

The 72 series parts may be easier to get a hold of and I think easier to install.

Oklacarcollecto: I would probably have to order brake shoes from the later model as well?

krazykuda: Yeah, the problem is I´m typing from Sweden and gonna have everything shipped by boat, so, inspection is not an option, unfortunately ;)

Nidhögg;1970323535 said:
krazykuda: Yeah, the problem is I´m typing from Sweden and gonna have everything shipped by boat, so, inspection is not an option, unfortunately ;)

Is it true about all the hot blonde Sweedish women? :prayer:

I use these shoes and they are the same from 1967 thru 1972 on the rear 10" x 1 3/4 shoes. $16.99 a set.

Attachments

• iuytfg.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 332
Autozone and Car Quest also carry them.That's where I got mine. The brake shoe retaining pins are shorter for the 1 3/4 shoes. "Some" kits will have both sizes for the 10x1 3/4 and the 10x 2 1/2 shoes. Just something to look out for.

krazykuda: Yes. Yes it is. But the brunettes and redheads we have are on par as well ;)

Oklacarcollecto: Sounds good. Looked a little closer on the brake shoes on Classic Industries and it said they were for 67-72 as well, but your source had them cheaper.
Axle set means there are 4 of them?

Nidhögg;1970323578 said:
krazykuda: Yes. Yes it is. But the brunettes and redheads we have are on par as well ;)

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Wow! Girls in all three flavors... That's like having a triple scoop ice cream....:icescrea:

Darter6: Thanks, will look it up as well!

Oklacarcollecto: Shipping for smaller parts isnt that big of a problem, worst case scenario is I can send it by plane, it´s usually cheaper with shipping from the US than to send something within Sweden....
And everything is about half the price when buying in the US due to our strong currency atm, so one time I ordered like 10 motorcycle helmets, 2 for me and the rest for co-workers and friends, even with shipping it was less than half of the cost here..

But I will probably be able to buy from different stores, I have been talking to a swedish guy in the US (Arizonaclassic.com) that reguarly sends containers by sea to Sweden, and I will send them a shopping list and they will order, wait for all the deliverys and then haul it off.
If it was smaller items I would send it by plane, but I´m gonna buy calipers, leaf springs, shocks etc so it will be a pretty heavy package.

SWEDEN ! I better start looking at the location,,,,,Looks like on line buying for you. The hunt begins.......!

Nidhögg;1970323578 said:

Oklacarcollecto: Sounds good. Looked a little closer on the brake shoes on Classic Industries and it said they were for 67-72 as well, but your source had them cheaper.
Axle set means there are 4 of them?

Yes, a set is 4 pieces and they do both drums on the rear end.

Nidhögg;1970323483 said:
Hey!
Bolt pattern not important here. Also shouldn't need to use a specialty supplier. Any decent parts store or brake relining shop can supply the parts. If you have specific lining needs, then Porterfield or Rochester Brake and Clutch would be two nationally known places to talk with.

Some incorrect information getting tossed around here.
The original '68 shoes were used for 1 year only. They use the same hardware as used in '67 and earlier. This is true across the line, not just for the 10 x 1.75" brakes. The main difference was using a tab on the shoe's frame.

As mentioned by someone else, in 1969 all the drum brakes started using the bendix II style self adjusters. These look different and rotate the star adjuster in the opposite direction than the early system.

The shoes for the 10 x 1.75" drums up through Feb 1967 were FMS 256. Although not recommended by Chrysler, aftermarket suppliers often interchange them with FMS 151 shoes (used on Fords). Was Chrysler just protecting their exclusive? I dunno. very close match.
March 1968 through the end of the model year, FMS 288 shoes were used. Often earlier, and sometimes later shoes are interchanged.
For the 1969 model year, the 331 shoes are correct and must be used with the new style self adjusters.

The metal frame or backing plate of the shoes will have the FMS number stamped or printed on them.

ref. 1967 Plymouth Service Manual, 1968 Plymouth Service Manual.
Master Technicians Service Confrence booklets;
68-1 Sixty-Eight Service Features
69-1 Sixty-Nine Serving Highlights
69-7 Drum Brake Service Highlights
available on-line at http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm
FMS or FMSI stands for Friction Material Standards Institute

Bolt pattern not important here. Also shouldn't need to use a specialty supplier. Any decent parts store or brake relining shop can supply the parts. If you have specific lining needs, then Porterfield or Rochester Brake and Clutch would be two nationally known places to talk with.

Some incorrect information getting tossed around here.
The original '68 shoes were used for 1 year only. They use the same hardware as used in '67 and earlier. This is true across the line, not just for the 10 x 1.75" brakes. The main difference was using a tab on the shoe's frame.

As mentioned by someone else, in 1969 all the drum brakes started using the bendix II style self adjusters. These look different and rotate the star adjuster in the opposite direction than the early system.

The shoes for the 10 x 1.75" drums up through Feb 1967 were FMS 256. Although not recommended by Chrysler, aftermarket suppliers often interchange them with FMS 151 shoes (used on Fords). Was Chrysler just protecting their exclusive? I dunno. very close match.
March 1968 through the end of the model year, FMS 288 shoes were used. Often earlier, and sometimes later shoes are interchanged.
For the 1969 model year, the 331 shoes are correct and must be used with the new style self adjusters.

The metal frame or backing plate of the shoes will have the FMS number stamped or printed on them.

ref. 1967 Plymouth Service Manual, 1968 Plymouth Service Manual
Master Technicians Service Confernce booklets
68-1 Sixty-Eight Service Features
69-1 Sixty-Nine Serving Highlights
69-7 Drum Brake Service Highlights
http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm
FMS or FMSI stands for Friction Material Standards Institute

This only holds true if you are using original Mopar part numbers. In the aftermarket they added the required holes/hardware to use shoes on multiple years.
I have the same part number 331 aftermarket shoes on my 1968 Barracuda as I do on my 1969 Dart.

Agreed, aftermarket often interchanges 331s for earlier. But the earlier 151, 256, 288 can not be interchanged for the later 331. Of course if you change the adjuster hardware to match, then operationally it doesn't matter. So the OP has a number of options as long as he understands the differences and what matches.

Well, right now I´m more lost than before starting this thread...
But hey, it´s better to learn then to buy wrong parts! :D

I will take apart one of the brakes later this week and check the metal frame/backing plate number.
But once again, I can´t go into a store and talk about this since I live in Sweden, and I am gonna buy new shoes, brake hardware and self-adjuster if it helps with buying a particular set :)

Grassy: PM sent.

Mattax and Oklacarcollecto: Great info, albeit a bit confusing when you don´t know exactly what everything is. Thanks for the help, I will be back with a FMS number :)

Nidhogg,

I responded. If you have any questions , please don't hesitate to ask.

When I bought the Duster for the kids, my experience was with British cars only..i new nothing (some will say I still don't) about these cars. FABO *Really* helped..

Ian.

-
Back