Where do I look now

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan the man

Reaction score
I expanded my search 400 miles from where I live and nothing but project cars or race cars. I never thought that looking for a rust free dart or duster would be near impossible. It wouldn't have to be number matching, power steering is preferred, manual brakes are okay and I can have ac installed if it needed. A member on here said that he could find anything and that's been several months ago. I don't know

I expanded my search 400 miles from where I live and nothing but project cars or race cars. I never thought that looking for a rust free dart or duster would be near impossible. It wouldn't have to be number matching, power steering is preferred, manual brakes are okay and I can have ac installed if it needed. A member on here said that he could find anything and that's been several months ago. I don't know
Probably not much left of "rust free cars". I say that based on that it's 2023...
Just get anything 75 and earlier

A race car can be converted back to street, without much issue. Depends on the situation of course.

Have you stopped to consider the fact that maybe you're asking for too much?

one problem is that your parameters are too narrow. you specifically stated that you wanted cars from particular years and models within a set budget and precise options.

which, fine, it's your money and you're entitled to want what you want.

this leads to problem #2, and that's when you've been presented with possible leads you've coolly panned each and every one of them for ticky-tacky reasons: i don't like the headliner, it's green, it's too far away i'd have to stay in a hotel, the wheels make me feel funny in my no-no zone.

which leaves us with problem C- you have in your mind that this perfect car you want exists and because you have an amount of money that it should just materialize for you. well, dan, it doesn't. i'm sorry to break it to you cinderella, but your glass slipper doesn't exist.

you need to understand the realities of the situation: rust free cars don't exist (at least not at your price point); the perfect car doesn't exist, you will have to make compromises.

also, i'm gonna be straight up: you lack imagination. you need to think of possibilities instead of particulars. a roll cage can be cut out of a car, a 4spd can become an automatic, AC can be added, a green car should really stay green but you can always paint it if you want.

so where from here? stack more dough and get into a better tier of cars, widen your search area, loosen your parameters on cars and options, accept compromise. or go buy a ford.

As so many have told you Dan, for your price range there is no "perfect" car and your maximum range of travel limits your search. If you could do 400 mies one way, you could do more for a car that meets your needs
Solid boby is priority, faded paint, worn interior, 6 cylinder is not.
I myself would consider a 4 door. Id take a solid 4 door with a slant 6, a all original car all day long over some beat muscle A body
You are more likely to find that car in way better shape for your price range and now at least you'd have a car you could enjoy and take to local shows

When I started a search for another 66 Barracuda about 12 years ago, it took two years to find what I wanted. The one I found was 800 miles away. Before traveling to see it, I paid an inspector who took 70 photos and a video of it driving. After that I made the trip to purchase and arranged travel.

They are out there, but they are not going to jump in your lap. I wish you luck!! I'm anxious to see pictures of what you end up with!!!

Hall of fame motors, Rittman Ohio 44270 has one but it’s not 400 miles from you. Looks done, drive it home condiction.

the dealership looks right out of the 60’s.

The only thing impossible is pleasing you goldilocks.

Post #4 in this thread says it all. There is no point in reading anything else in the thread (even this second sentence).

This is what I did Dan, make a point system

Let's say you want a red car
Then red is 10 points

Orange or black is 8, and everything else is 5

A 360 is 8 points
A 340 is 10 points
A 383 is 7 points
A slant is 5 points

With any of those a 4 speed is 10 point
Auto is 5 points

A demon is 10 points
A 70-72 duster is 8 points
A 73 up duster is 5 points
A dart sport is 5 points

In this list, the dream car is a red 340 demon 4 speed, 40 points
Now the question becomes what will I settle for?

A red 340 auto dart sport at 30 points is just as desirable as a black 383 auto demon

See what I mean ?

It takes the emotional part out

This is what I did Dan, make a point system

Let's say you want a red car
Then red is 10 points

Orange or black is 8, and everything else is 5

A 360 is 8 points
A 340 is 10 points
A 383 is 7 points
A slant is 5 points

With any of those a 4 speed is 10 point
Auto is 5 points

A demon is 10 points
A 70-72 duster is 8 points
A 73 up duster is 5 points
A dart sport is 5 points

In this list, the dream car is a red 340 demon 4 speed, 40 points
Now the question becomes what will I settle for?

A red 340 auto dart sport at 30 points is just as desirable as a black 383 auto demon

See what I mean ?

It takes the emotional part out
Woah. That’s nice and all but it’s about as relevant as the price of tea in China. Your system doesn’t take into account condition/shape and even more imprtantly, available funds! If you only have $5k, even a 20 point car will be out of budget. And that will lead to another thread like this being created.

Your method looks a lot like the swordsman‘s method here:

you guys are talking to a wall. post 4 and 9 are spot on. i look on face book everyday and there are several cars that look nice( i said look nice) in the pics and several are in missouri. i have sent several links, as have a lot of people on here, to him. he is all talk. MOPAR BLAST is coming shortly and i bet he does not even go.

My buddy here in Phoenix has a 68 he’d like to sell. Not a project but a fairly done car.

here are 3 i pulled up in about 3 minutes on fb marketplace, granted there are somethings that he will pick aprt on them. but the 1st 1 is probably less than 1 hr from him. also say a super nice looking(by the pics) 66 impala/caprice, with 396 emblems on the fender, for 16,500, close to him. lets take up a collection to buy the chevy for him and maybe he will go away.

20230702_083521.jpg

20230702_083534.jpg

20230702_083710.jpg

20230702_083713.jpg

20230702_083939.jpg

20230702_083942.jpg

Here, pretty close to you. Took me 15 seconds to find this one.... how you buy is you go give them money and the car is yours
1971 Dodge Dart

My above two posts show if I had between 12-20k to spend, I could own a car in 5 hours.

Has he ever indicated what his budget is? Is it a Mustang/Camaro budget on Mopar desires?

None of us have magic internet connections. Facebook, craigslists and other online places have pulled up some possible cars in a few minutes.

If he truly put the effort (time and money) into finding a car he would have one by now. He is still in dream mode.

G’s! I’m saving my money up for these gems you all have posted up. Nice find fellas.

Dan, your car at your price (what ever that amount was, I forget)
Simply doesn’t exist. And if it did, there would be something not 100% perfect about it in your eyes and you dismiss it. You have already done this time and time again.

You are a broken record!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back