Where do you look to find cars for sale?

-

DroVal

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on places to look for A-Bodies for sale other than CL, Ebay, and here. A local car would be best for me, I have no budget for shipping.

forget the ads ...thats too obvious ......i go up and down alleys and in and out of every side street.

i watch cars that i find ...watch for signs that the owner may not be interested in or want to bail on it.

i watched a dart for a couple months ...then i saw the house go up for sale ....decided to make a move on it and found that the owner was getting evicted and i got the car for $300.

around christmas time is a good time to make an offer on a car thats been sitting for a long time with no sign of activity.

farms are good places to look ...often farmers have sooo much land they will just let a car sit in the back 40 till you express interest in it ...and often they see it as your doing them a favor for getting it out of their hair ......

often you get talking with the owners of cars of interest and they spill where they had seen another one like it .....word of mouth.

Ppl have brought cars to my house to see if i want to buy ...they came to know i was an old car buyer through word of mouth from others around.

i have had many many scores with these methods :cheers:...i found a few of mine on CL ....but CL is no fun bcoz there is no hunt

remember when hunting mopars to make sure the wind is to you face so your scent dont carry and the cars will run away scared :D

I found my sons charger thru some friends at our local cruise in local guy lost intrest and wanted to sell it,and the best way is as Ranidart70 says searching alleys,garages,back yards and fields i have found untold treasures that way and while getting excersize by riding my 10 speed!!!

forget the ads ...thats too obvious ......i go up and down alleys and in and out of every side street.

i watch cars that i find ...watch for signs that the owner may not be interested in or want to bail on it.

i watched a dart for a couple months ...then i saw the house go up for sale ....decided to make a move on it and found that the owner was getting evicted and i got the car for $300.

around christmas time is a good time to make an offer on a car thats been sitting for a long time with no sign of activity.

farms are good places to look ...often farmers have sooo much land they will just let a car sit in the back 40 till you express interest in it ...and often they see it as your doing them a favor for getting it out of their hair ......

often you get talking with the owners of cars of interest and they spill where they had seen another one like it .....word of mouth.

Ppl have brought cars to my house to see if i want to buy ...they came to know i was an old car buyer through word of mouth from others around.

i have had many many scores with these methods :cheers:...i found a few of mine on CL ....but CL is no fun bcoz there is no hunt

remember when hunting mopars to make sure the wind is to you face so your scent dont carry and the cars will run away scared :D

X2!!! My cars & trucks were all "yard" finds or someone said "I saw an old car sitting ..." I found my 1968 Coronet R/T original disc brake car when I saw just a little of the nose poking out from behind a barn!!!

I also agree with Rani!! I will typically take a different way every time I go somewhere, and will stop and ask as soon as I see someone out in the yard of a car I'm watching. Then I'll keep in touch and stop every so often, offering information if they're not selling and offering $$ if they're thinking about it!! I usually don't care if I get them or not as I'm watching so many, if they all said yes at the same time I'd be screwed!!LOL!!

Keep your eyes peeled, and train the wife and kids to be spotters on trips about town!! That's my advise,Geof

Arizona is in my opinion and personal experience one the best places to find old cars virtually rust free for CHEAP....and you live there.

Maybe i'll have to make this a weekly thing just to get myself out of the house. Take a drive and pick a different part of town each week. Good suggestion, thanks for that.

Up here in the rust belt, I am just so jealous of your location in Arizona. Don't good cars just grow on trees there?

Not sure if you frequent other non car related forums or not but those can be a good way to score... I posted an add on a hunting website looking for parts for my Lil Red Express and ended up scoring a very nice 1979 Power Wagon barn find with 60,000 original miles for next to nothing... Drive that truck all the time... Love it..

This young lady is wise beyond her years. This is how you find the rare cars that are under the radar.it is so much harded now that when I was tracking down cars in the eightys but the process is the same now only you have too have more drive to find what you seek...

If there is an auction company near you keep an eye out on all estate auctions.
I missed out on a great 1970 A100 truck that went for $1.700

Back roads, binoculars and beer. Not drinking and driving, a beer to have with the farmer as you talk about his collection of "junk"!

Back roads, binoculars and beer. Not drinking and driving, a beer to have with the farmer as you talk about his collection of "junk"!
Don't you know it :D

I climb telephone poles for a living, hard not to glance in yards surrounded by 10 foot walls..anyone want an '82 Avanti 2 with 60k miles? Sorry, no supercharger on this model....All GM drivetrain, good example. Old car trader at the local 7-11 is a nice wish list, see what is available out there country wide.

Lotsa great ideas already!!

If you live in an urban area, get on a bicycle & pedal around....You'll see things you would never see from a car. My .02 cents

-
Back