where is neutral safety switch

-

Scamper

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Need some help, I want to find the nss plug . I do not see it on firewall so I assume its under dash somewhere? Can any one tell me what to look for? 1971 plymouth scamp

Thanks

Why on earth would you want to bypass the NSS?!?!

What trans?

The NSS is on the driver side of the trans. If you are just going to a floor shifter, just install it and let the NSS work as it always has.

Hi Guys Need some help, I want to byass the nss going from column to floor. I do not see it on firewall so I assume its under dash somewhere? Can any one tell me what to look for? 1971 plymouth scamp Thanks
neutral safety switch is on the drivers side of the tranny just above the pan on the 727

I guess I wasn't clear my bad. I have put in another wiring harness up front. I have the nss wire 3 points. My car is a 71 scamp I cannot find where to plug in the middle plug looks kinda like a rounded triangle. I have been told firewall or under dash but I cannot find anything to plug it into. Does anyone have a pic of where to look or what I am looking for? Thanks guys and I agree especially as the track will send me home without it I understand.

is it an auto or manual .....manuals before 70 didnt have an NSS, that started in 70 and up on cars with manual trans ....i dont have any autos but i think auto always had an NSS from the begining

To bypass the NSS you ground one of the pins at the starter relay. Think it is the the Yellow wire at the Starter Relay. Disconnect that wire on the Starter Relay by the battery, make up a small jumper wire to go on that pin and ground it right there on the bolt that holds the relay in place. Done!

I know where it plugs into the trans and the solenoid its the middle plug I need
It is a 318 904 auto car new now its a 408 with 727 auto

The harness for the NSS will have a 3 pin round plug on the trans end and it will come up into the engine bay and connect to the starter relay. The middle pin is grounded @ the trans when it's in park or neutral(brown w/yellow). the outer two wires are for the reverse lights This Bn/Y wire grounds the relay and closes the contacts in the relay only when cranking (Yellow wire from firewall bulkhead/ignition switch only hot when cranking). Do you have any photos of this middle plug or the connection your unsure of? I may be missing your ? altogether.

View attachment 71ValiantA.jpg

View attachment pigtail.jpg

I will take pictures tomorrow but i cant find on firewall or under dash anything that looks like it can plug into

The starter relay is mounted next to the batter on the drivers side fender. If that is what your looking for. Other than that, I cant for the life of me think of what your looking for that has to do with the NSS.

early on that brown wire from the starter relay to neutral safety was ran all by its lonesome diretlt from left inner fender to trans. When the reverse lamp wires were moved from inside to outside, those went through previously unused ports in the far right member of bulkhead connection. The nrown wire still ran all alone and lonely from the starter relay unti it joined the tape harness just below the wiper motor headed for the tran switch. That's as close to a pic I can draw with words. Hope you enjoyed it.
Finding out what transmission and switch you had was like pulling teeth. Nobody enjoys that.

early on that brown wire from the starter relay to neutral safety was ran all by its lonesome diretlt from left inner fender to trans. When the reverse lamp wires were moved from inside to outside, those went through previously unused ports in the far right member of bulkhead connection. The nrown wire still ran all alone and lonely from the starter relay unti it joined the tape harness just below the wiper motor headed for the tran switch. That's as close to a pic I can draw with words. Hope you enjoyed it.
Finding out what transmission and switch you had was like pulling teeth. Nobody enjoys that.

Red, I totally forgot about that connection. Yes, like stated just below the wiper motor on the electrical harness is that connection. Both sides should be there. Mine only was about 2 inches long on both sides, before it got taped back into the harness. That connection only has to do with your reverse lights though. If my 71 Scamp wasnt put away for the winter I would go take a pic of it. Sorry

Thank you I will look after work when its light out. That seems about right on the harness where that boot will plug in I will look again some have said if not on the outside then on the inside of firewall once I find that plug I am laughing. Break in was done today bypassing nss but unable to use key to run. I thank you guys for the help and effort. I will update tomorrow, I have a friend helping and we are both stumped.RedFish that is the plug I am looking for but unable to find so far.

Something else to consider. my NSS wire was broke from being pinched somehow between the trans and body. Not sure if it caught on a body panel lip but it broke just enough of the wire that it no longer made a connection. I rewired from the NSS plug on the trans all the way to the starter relay. Just a thought.

The harness I have has 3 boots to plug in, I just cant find where the nss plug is

you cant take a pic of the connector ? If its kinda round and has 3 small round female in a straight line... that goes on the switch which is on the drivers side of the transmission. the 3 wires would be purple, white, or purple and purple with a white tracer, and brown in between them to the center.

I was reading earlier posts and saw rounded triangle shape connector boot. That isn't NSS. That is ignition module or voltage regular, something up on the firewall.

I know where it plugs in on trans its the plug on the firewall that I cannot find :(

-
Back