where is neutral safety switch

-
I trued to tell you there isn't one. 2 of those wires enter the cabin through the far right member of bulkhead. The brown wire is continuous all the way to the starter relay.
It just 3 wires taped together from below wiper motor going down and not even taped from there up.
There should be a wiring diagram showing which ports of the bulkhead were used. You could crawl under the dash and see where the purple and white are placed.

ok, so where is the nss switch? I am learning so please be patient my friend knows more as he built my motor but I am trying. I will crawl under dash tomorrow and thank you for your patience. The harness I was holding must be the wrong one.

The NSS brown/yellow should not plug into the fire wall it should go to the under hood starter relay. The only wires coming/going through the firewall for the NSS and the starter relay is the yellow wire from the ignition switch cranking position to the relay and the large red battery feed from the relay to the interior.
:worthles:
Not worthless, just struggling to figure out how we can help.
:D

On the transmission case, just behind and below the shifter shaft. That should read NSS

Attachments

• 727resto.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 269
I guess I wasn't clear my bad. I have put in another wiring harness up front. I have the nss wire 3 points. My car is a 71 scamp I cannot find where to plug in the middle plug looks kinda like a rounded triangle. I have been told firewall or under dash but I cannot find anything to plug it into. Does anyone have a pic of where to look or what I am looking for? Thanks guys and I agree especially as the track will send me home without it I understand.

Does it look like it might plug into this. http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/cr100.html

That's the ignition Electronic Control Module (ECM or ignition box), It has nothing to do with the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). It's important to know the difference.

BC
I know what it is But the original poster did say "the middle plug looks kinda like a rounded triangle" and I was just trying to help.

If you know where the 3 wires plug in at the transmission, you already know where the NSS is. That connector on the tran is both NSS and reverse lamp switch all in one switch.
From there you are nolonger seeking NSS. You are sseking a starter relay for the brown wire, and fused 12 volts for the white of purple with white and continuity to the reverse lamps on the solid purple.
I'm starting to think maybe you have the NSS wire harness that belonged with a 78 model car. That harness may infact have a odd connector on both ends. If it does have a connector at the firewall end, you'll need to cut it off and route the 3 wires in the earlier 70s model fashion as I have attempted so hard to detail..

Red Fish I thank you and I will bet that you are correct on what I have as the harness was purchased through one of the local dodge boys and could be incorrect. I will have a good look at it tonight when I get home. Thank You

Over the years, mfgrs would add harness connectors for nothing more than ease of assembly. A good example is the white engine harness connector added in early 70s.
Anyway... pre 70s owners will refer to the 3rd member of the bulkhead connector as the wiper harness connector only because it had no other wires in it. Since it had several unused ports, the mfgrs used 2 of those for the reverse lamp wires starting in 1970 when that switch moved from the shifter inside to the trans outside.
If you should need 2 of the male connectors to attach your reverse lamp wires there, NAPA stores have those. That Packard item number is here somewhere.
All you will need for the brown wire at your starter relay is a common female spade terminal.

Ok I studied the car and harness. I am sure the harness is wrong so I am going to make my own. I will run 1 wire to starter relay. 2 wires to the reverse lamp wires.
I crawled all over under the dash and couldn't find the purple and white wires coming in to connect to. That is the only thing I have to find now is where to connect to the reverse lamp wires.

Without the proper wiring diagram, Here's what I would do... remove the left kick panel, separate the rear harness connector identify the purple to rear lamps. Any small power source up to 12 volts would be needed. I have sat the cars battery in the front floor but that isn't recommended. Apply the power to the purple going forward and take a volt meter or test lamp to the bulkhead connector. You should find the power. That's where your purple goes.
At the fuse box, don't completely remove the fuse that supplies the reverse lamps, but separate it from the top so you can apply power to the exposed end of the fuse.
Now if you can find the power at the bulkhead connector, that's where the white goes.
Diagrams would be easier

-
Back