Where to buy disc conversion

-

supergirI

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1972 dodge dart swinger and am wondering where is the best/cheapest place i can buy a brake conversion kit online? The cheapest I've found so far is around 400dollars.

I don't know much about cars, but am trying to learn! I am not sure if it's front or rear brakes, but I believe it is front.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you.

You can do it with junk yard parts and a new master cyl for about $150-$200.

$400 is not bad if the kit is complete and uses factory Mopar parts.

Can you post a link to the kit?

You can do it with junk yard parts and a new master cyl for about $150-$200.

$400 is not bad if the kit is complete and uses factory Mopar parts.

Can you post a link to the kit?

I am not sure if all these kits are exactly the same. I just wanna be certain that it is for my car.

http://www.performanceonline.com/19...AR-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-KIT-SWBKS6274-19537/

http://www.resto-modtechnology.com/servlet/the-2131/63-dsh-74-MOPAR-|-CHRYSLER/Detail

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-74-MOP...E-CONVERSION-KIT-/160673112413#ht_2899wt_1185

All the ones you linked to, need additional parts to do the swap at a cost from $100 to ? depending on if you get used ones or new ones and the source. If you want to keep the same bolt pattern so you use your existing wheels, you'll need to get a factory Kelsey Hayes disc setup or an aftermarket kit from Scarebird or similar that uses your existing control arms, spindles, and hubs.

All the ones you linked to, need additional parts to do the swap at a cost from $100 to ? depending on if you get used ones or new ones and the source. If you want to keep the same bolt pattern so you use your existing wheels, you'll need to get a factory Kelsey Hayes disc setup or an aftermarket kit from Scarebird or similar that uses your existing control arms, spindles, and hubs.

I'm assuming I will need to buy both the wheel kit and brackets?
I found it on scarebird

I am considering converting my car to disc after I saw a members Barracuda destroyed by a brake failure. I think that I will need to take my time because I would like to maintain the 5x4 inch bolt pattern. most of the kits have the 5X4.5 inch bolt pattern.

SSBC conversion kit comes drilled for both 5x4 and 5x4 1/2. Easy conversion bolts on exsisting spindles just drill out two holes to a larger diameter [NOTE:must have 10 inch drums to use spindles for this conversion, if 9 inch brakes must use different spindles] in that case go with junk yard parts and a new master cyl. as yy1 says. I purchased my kit due to [A:im impatent B:too lazy to hunt down the parts] plus i had 10 inch drums.

I think Scarebird is the easiest way to do it especially if you buy the rotors already drilled, then buy the 1990 Chevy Celebrity calipers on Rock Auto. I do not know if the rotors will come with bearings, seals, dust caps, etc. Or, if my current bearings will work, I am guessing not. Has anyone done it this way with an early A body car? Link follows:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390323330680?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My post about w2360duster's stuff was for the OP.

You use the existing front hubs on the scarebird set up. You take the drums off of them by cutting the swedge.

I see, the OP has a 1972 car which should have the 5x4.5 inch large pattern, the 1971 car would have the small 5X4 inch pattern, am I correct?

Ok 73 and newer large bolt pattern. I am also looking at options that do not include the master cylinder with the kit. I understand that I can use a 73 or newer a body master cylinder without modifying, but I think an adapter and proportion valve has to be changed. Anyone have info on this with new part numbers?

Don't forget that you need to do hardlines if your car is going from single-pot master cylinder to a tandem, but the 4-hole MC from a '73-'76 should bolt up to the firewall (buddy did it to his '64). Any early-A experts want to chime in?

I just finished my KH small bolt patteren set up for my 68 dart. It aint cheep!
IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I just finished my KH small bolt patteren set up for my 68 dart. It aint cheep!

I noticed you have a 73 pitman arm and a 68 to 72 Idler arm. you will need to change one or the other.

Oldmanmopar.... your were right. I grabbed a late model steering box off the shelf, cleaned it, painted it and as it turns out my 68 box is still on the shelf! F me!

I bought the performance on line kit and it comes with everything you need. It works great.

I used the kit from Master Power. It was pricey, but I found it on eBay using a FABO link. Was able to pick it up for about half of list price. There are deals out there, they just don't fall into your lap, you have to look for them.

I used the SSBC kit on my Barracuda. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but you get all new parts and almost everything you need. I replaced the brake lines while I was at it. The rotors are drilled for both bolt patterns, and you get both sizes of studs with the kit. You need to have the 10" drum spindles.

-
Back