where to move?

-

philllyc

First time restoration guy
Reaction score
Here goes gang. I am a Staten Islander looking to retire outside of lib. Ny.
tired of snow and need more space!
As you, I like working on my cars and aiming south. Any suggestions?

staying east coast? go past the Mason/Dixon line.. my best friend lives in Asheville NC - loves it but wishes he was further down south..

Ya know, we moved to Virginia Beach in 2011. Quickly found the VERY active Tidewater Mopar Club. Rarely had snow...maybe once/twice a year. Northern Virginia is lib, but there are so many active and retired military around Virginia Beach that you find it pretty conservative. The one negative we found is crime; it's awful in Virginia Beach. The oceanfront is cool, especially in the summer!!

We moved back to the north Atlanta area back in September. Love the people here, crime is in check, and property values, although still high, you get more house for your money than Virginia Beach. I do miss the oceanfront though!!

I've moved back and forth between KY and TN 4-5 times. Tried VT and OH but, too cold for me. Even tried NE and SD. I'm settled in in southern TN and staying.

went from NH to Maryland back to NH then to Louisiana then ended up in Arkansas. Love it here, mostly summer type weather, but with 4 seasons still. The winter time is much milder than up north, better roads than Louisiana, can drive here pretty much year round. Also hunting, fishing, golf, off road rock crawling and ATVs.

Louisiana Tennessee Arkansas. All good options. Tax structures? Property costs? I got a year +/-.

Outside Nashville?

best advice I can give people is take an extended vacation down South in the summer. winters will pose NO problem for you. I know people that moved to Fl. because they thought they wanted the coast living. could NOT tolerate the humidity and moved back to Co. ( raised in Wy>) ....

I was raised n s w Ga. and have spnt time in every southern state, tx to fl to va to tn ky ar, live in Missouri for last 30 yrs. all state have their pos and neg I feel. there is maybe NO perfect place to live. if retiring I would investigate health care, property tax structure, cost of R/E. general cost of living. unless you retire wealthy!?? ha

Come to south Mississippi. We don't bite! Well some may but most don't! You would be close to Crusin the coast, mild winters, but hot summers! We do have ac though!

I've seen this too. people that have lived all their lives up North, expect 4 distinct seasons. get far enough South and you miss out on real cold winters and S N O W !!! ha

I know folks that love say , N C, VA because they can drive to the mountains OR the coast in just a few hours.

Well, you can always come to Florida. We live on the west coast, about an hour north of Tampa. It still gets cold in the winter. 32 * this morning. Humid in the summer. Lots of classic car stuff to do. There's 4 cruise nights within a half hour drive. Been here 13 years. Have no interest in moving. Houses are affordable. Taxes are not bad. You should make some trips to wherever you think you want to live.

I stopped bragging about our weather, etc... years ago because it has gotten far too crowded. Nice red brick house across the street from me is for sale though. PM me if you're interested.

Moved from S.W. Wi. to West Coast of Fl. Punta Gorda. Lasted 10 years. Got tired of Snow Birds, hot weather, grumpy old folks and I don't line up at the Golden Coral at 4:00 for the Early Bird Special. 8:30 P.M. is the West Coasts Mid-Night. Moved to Knoxville Tn. Has change of seasons, great people, low cost of living and lot of car people. Check it out. Agree with Barbee, take a extended vacation to where ever you think about relocating to.
Just my .02

Here goes gang. I am a Staten Islander looking to retire outside of lib. Ny.
tired of snow and need more space!
As you, I like working on my cars and aiming south. Any suggestions?

Come out west was 80 degrees yesterday and was working in a t-shirt...........:coffee2:

Arizona, you can have any season you want only a couple of hours in any direction. Its cruising time now too.

Come live by me, it was below zero last night :D

come on down to tennessee , to the appalachian mountains, no income tax, decent property tax, get close to the tn,va,ky, area, no tax on groceries in ky, gas is 1.41 a gallon , small farms at 2 thousand an acre,moonshine in a mason jar, and all the women have long black hair........hanging out from under their arm pits,,lol,,, is a great place to live, moved here from chicago.

come on down to tennessee , to the appalachian mountains, no income tax, decent property tax, get close to the tn,va,ky, area, no tax on groceries in ky, gas is 1.41 a gallon , small farms at 2 thousand an acre,moonshine in a mason jar, and all the women have long black hair........hanging out from under their arm pits,,lol,,, is a great place to live, moved here from chicago.

and yea, if ya got a B Body with a big trunk, you can use it to run "shine"? ha

one thing you will find, is that most all us Southerners are pretty biased toward the South. and that's a good thing too.

As I sit in the garage because it is 1 above zero outside, I am following this thread with great interest. Keep the opinions coming. Thanks.

Born and raised in Iowa, and traveled pretty much every state in the Union.

Moved to the Puget Sound area...mild summers and generally mild winters.....and while it does get it's fair share of rain, at least you don't have to shovel it when it's cold.

Either the mountains or the beaches are only a couple hours away(at most), and there are some great Nat'l parks in the region.

The car scene is strong around here and there's lots of family friendly stuff too.

:violent2::
as barbee6043 said we are biased down here in the south, and if you really want to get along with your neighbors, theres one thing to remember, we dont give a rats *** how you done it in ohio,ny, or anywhere north of the mason/dixon line,,

Arizona, you can have any season you want only a couple of hours in any direction. Its cruising time now too.

I would say this too except for two thing's....The summers are BRUTAL and at least here in the Valley far too many people when the weather is good...like it is now.

-
Back