where to move?

-
well you could keep the place you have , and buy a place in the warmer weather for winter months, . just a thought..

You mentioned ky/tn and outside Nashville. I live in south central Ky, bout 1-1.5 hrs north of Nashville, 30-45 from beech bend race way, bought a 150 acres last spring at $1800 an acre and we need more Mopar ppl in the area!! Lol

Looking at Northeast Alabama near Gadsden, my cousin resides there. Went in 2011 and loved it. My wife hates snow too. Unless we can sit by the fire and watch it fall!

Take a look at a state that doesn't tax your income (your pension). There are a few south that doesn't have a state income tax. It's one of the reasons my brother in law settled on TN when he retired from the Navy.

Take a look at a state that doesn't tax your income (your pension). There are a few south that doesn't have a state income tax. It's one of the reasons my brother in law settled on TN when he retired from the Navy.

But then TN makes up for that by taxing like 8.5-9.5% on everything including groceries... The way to beat that tho is live just south of the ky line so you have no state income tax and can go to ky to do your shopping, ky has 6% sales tax and no tax on groceries.

Don't go south. The roads aren't paved and it is full uneducated rednecks.
Plus there are too may NY tags around here already.
Just poking.
You can come as long as you bring an A body and leave all the ill mannered Yankees up there..

You can go out west without getting into weird Calif or smokin' AZ. The northern half of AZ and New Mexico are much milder than the southern half of those states. Then there's the eastern side of Colorado with everything nearby in Denver if mountain living isn't for you. It's much dryer out here than on your best day anywhere east of the Mississippi. You'll get to see snow atop the mountains each winter so you won't end up "missing" it but you'll never need a shovel, either.

Me, I'm in the Albuquerque area and recently went through your present conundrum. This is where we chose to go.

You can go out west without getting into weird Calif or smokin' AZ. The northern half of AZ and New Mexico are much milder than the southern half of those states. Then there's the eastern side of Colorado with everything nearby in Denver if mountain living isn't for you. It's much dryer out here than on your best day anywhere east of the Mississippi. You'll get to see snow atop the mountains each winter so you won't end up "missing" it but you'll never need a shovel, either.

Me, I'm in the Albuquerque area and recently went through your present conundrum. This is where we chose to go.

this is the "humidity" argument! yes the south ( East Tx, and go East and NE .... gets very humid. I know. getting West gets you away from the terrible humidity, but also those places just mentioned, you will get some cold and snowy weather. varies a lot.

I live here is south west misssouri,.... left Ga in '79 and been here ever since. the southern part of mo. tends to be " southern" influenced, the northern part more "Northern " influenced, locals may argue the point, but its a fact , in general. lived in both areas for decades. weather here varies from yr to yr, but south mo tends to be "fairly" mild winters, ave snow if 17 iches, (this ye 1 inch).... lows might get down into the single didgets a few nights. north MO tends to get quite a bit colder ( too close to Ne and Ia!) ha

south Carolina..... just watch the evening news,... those "politicians" will be saying, " we are not on Kansas Toto"!!!! ha .. it will be quite a bit of a different set of subjects and values looked at from their previous spots!???

Arizona, I can work on my car 365 days a year. If its raining then I work in the garage. Never so cold that you can not hold a wrench

Arizona, I can work on my car 365 days a year. If its raining then I work in the garage. Never so cold that you can not hold a wrench

Every day ? There is a problem somewhere. I would try a different car or different mechanic. :)

Every day ? There is a problem somewhere. I would try a different car or different mechanic. :)

I am the mechanic, for the most part. The car is 100% mechanically sound after 2.5 years of working on it. Now I have stripped her down and am doing body work.

Being disabled, I can only work 2-3 hours a day. Many, many breaks and rest periods.
In June it will be 3 years I have been working on it. Slow but sure wins the race.

Plus on top of the car I have other projects.

In the last few weeks, I :
1. Ground down the stumps from the two palm trees, to below ground level
2. Planted two new palm trees and put a retaining wall around them. (The two new trees are descendants of the two palms I removed)
3. Retrofitted the electric tank-less water heater with a new flow switch, because the factory one was not turning on the heater.
4. Built a circuit to switch and installed annunciator LEDs so we can see the water heater is working without going into the garage.
5. Fell thru the ceiling in the garage, (when the old floor boards broke) while finishing up #5 above. Did some major damage to the left leg.
6. Removed and replaced the floor in the attic
7. Repaired the ceiling in the garage
8. Bought, repaired a new electrical generator (large enough to power at least 2 homes during an outage) Then installed an interface into the electrical panel to hook it up to the house

This is why it takes so long and I need 365 days a year of tolerable weather

perfection is having a home base where??? and then being able , financially and health wise, to cruise around the South and maybe even U S in general, in an RV with a car trailer hooked to the bumper, find a good project to haul home, go to all the good mopar shows and swaps, buy parts like a maniac to haul home, eat all the good foods ya find all along the way, meet all the great people you stumble on to.... the list goes on......

Texas? one thing about it, you will just about every type of weather and everything else there!!!!! ha

this is the "humidity" argument! yes the south ( East Tx, and go East and NE .... gets very humid. I know. getting West gets you away from the terrible humidity, but also those places just mentioned, you will get some cold and snowy weather. varies a lot.

Yes and the argument is totally valid. I'm a born 'n raised Floridian who had been in Alabama the last 9 yrs before moving out here and if you don't think the humidity contributes immensely to feeling better/worse you are hugely mistaken!

As for cold/snowy weather: here in ABQ, we get about 5 snow events a year. 2 that actually accumulate on the roads with a depth of less than 2 inches and usually gone within a few hours. The arid climate means that if you do have to clear a path to your mailbox, it's like shoveling styrofoam chips. You can do it with a leaf blower!

Completely eliminating any trace of "cold" weather usually means either A) gruelling hot summers or B) lots of humidity and sometimes both.

I am in no way suggesting this is the end-all, be-all as only the person making the decision can assign weighted values to the various components. (Take schools for example. Our kids are grown so, I don't care about schools but someone with 3 little ones would weight that higher.) Just presenting the things that I find appealing from the perspective of someone who actually lives here. Happily!

I like living in MN. Tried dallas during the summer. (lasted 2 months/dry heat my a@@)
fishing all year (ice/boat) hot rods in the spring summer and fall. I would take a blizzard over rain any day. Like living close to family.

Dallas isn't known for "dry heat" and I doubt the OP is interested in moving closer to your family ;)

I like MN, too but that's going to be a tough sell to just about everyone.

Dallas isn't known for "dry heat" and I doubt the OP is interested in moving closer to your family ;)

Tough sell? check out the forcast. nothing but sunshine :toothy10:
8 AM
Fri, Feb 12
4° -14°
sunny
Sunny 5% 72% NNW 13 mph
9 AM
Fri, Feb 12
4° -15°
sunny
Sunny 5% 72% NNW 16 mph
10 AM
Fri, Feb 12
4° -15°
sunny
Sunny 5% 69% NNW 17 mph
11 AM
Fri, Feb 12
5° -14°
sunny
Sunny 0% 65% NNW 17 mph
12 PM
Fri, Feb 12
6° -13°
sunny
Sunny 0% 62% NNW 17 mph
1 PM
Fri, Feb 12
6° -12°
sunny
Sunny 0% 59% NNW 18 mph
2 PM
Fri, Feb 12
7° -12°
sunny
Sunny 0% 57% NNW 17 mph
3 PM
Fri, Feb 12
7° -12°
sunny
Sunny 0% 56% NNW 17 mph
4 PM
Fri, Feb 12
6° -11°
sunny
Sunny 0% 58% NNW 14 mph
5 PM
Fri, Feb 12
4° -11°
sunny
Sunny 5% 60% NNW 11 mph
6 PM
Fri, Feb 12
3° -11°
clear night
Clear 5% 63% NNW 8 mph

I was born in NC , lived there for 55 years , moved to Az. in 2004 , my wife is from Az. Wonderful weather , some time you do not see rain for months , yes it gets hot but it is a dry heat 105 outside shop 90 inside cut on fans and it is very nice . No income tax on S.S. no tax on food , sanded my 65 dodge down to bare metal and the only place it rusts is where I put my hands . In N.C. you have four seasons , snow , ice storms , hurricanes , tornados , and humidity , rain for days . . When my wife moved to N.C. she was told about the humidity , but for the first month it was great but one day we got up she took a shower and we went outside to go somewhere she got about 10 ft. out of the house she stopped raised her arms and said why was she suddenly sweating so much , I looked at her and said that is humidity and welcome to the south ... LOL

ON Wednesday the temp was 82 and they are calling for 85 today .

I knew this would be a fun and wild thread! like said, the OP needs to spend time in the area he thinks he might like. MN in winter! ha and South is summer! ha again! but I bet he gets some good insight when said and done!

I know people that thrive with humidity and others like me that hate it!!! I know people that live in Az and they do not take the extreme well, even with NO humidity!!

its gets fairly humid here off and on. my goal is by next summer to have an "enclosed" garage (vs open shed) complete, with a small 110 window air conditioner. they use SQUAT for power. I cool most of my home with one, and very economical! it will also have a wood burning stove by next winter also.

if the old mopar market got good enough, I would liove to tool around different parts of the country in the winter, and pick up some parts and project cars to flip to cover the cost of travel, (a car tourist sorta),, but as of now, it ain't there! ha

one thing the OP can take out of this discussion, people that like (love) where they live, they can find a lot of reasons why they live there!!!

like the old guy said, he has stayed in a lot of places, BUT only lived in one or two!???? huh!????

Don't move to Texas

Haha, I lived there for a few years back in the eighties. Poisonous snakes (all 4 kinds found in the U.S.) cockroaches, chiggers (red bugs) scorpions... And the heat was almost unbearable with the high (100%) humidity at over 100* in the summer. One winter my pipes all froze and I had to stay with friends. But all that being said, some really great people down there and definitely the BEST BBQ around!!

I grew up in Minnesota, but I take pills for that.

Dry heat???? so is sticking your head in the oven, same difference

Everything has limits. Dry heat won't save you in Death Valley, either which I suspect isn't too dissimilar to Scottsdale. But take the same temperatures you deal with and add Gulf Coast humidity and you'll start to appreciate what you have.

But then TN makes up for that by taxing like 8.5-9.5% on everything including groceries... The way to beat that tho is live just south of the ky line so you have no state income tax and can go to ky to do your shopping, ky has 6% sales tax and no tax on groceries.

You're thinking about it wrong. Tennessee isn't double dipping on it's citizenship. They pay the sales tax, but no income tax. You're still paying income tax and sales tax.

-
Back