Where to put my crank case breather tank

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I am looking for some unique idea's on where to put my Morroso oil breather tank(besides where the sun doesn't shine) LOL

I dont want to vent my crankcase gasses into my air intake so i bought a Morroso crankcase breather tank. Correct me if i am wrong
-mount the tank lower than valve covers so oil does not pool in the lines
-I don't want oil mist on my headers so I should mount the tank behind the
headers
-I am running a line from each valvle cover to the can
-What if I mount in the front wheel well behind the front tire???
-Mount it in front by the bumper?

My valve covers don't have baffles which i need and one of the holes is over a lifter plus I am running HVHP oil Melling oil Pump
-What if I run my lines all the way to the back of the car and mount the can in back so all the S#$T doesn't get all over my car

I have been running nice pushin style oil breathers on each valve cover but I was pushing it at the track the other day and oil pooled up a little in the breathers and dripped on my headers-SMOKIN- A Little Rice Burner asked me If I was ON FIRE -the little BasT$%D Smart \***:protest:

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the breather "system". A lot of guys run them due to excessive oil showing up in the intake runners, and pooling of oil on external surfaces, but there are several things you should be aware of:

Baffling of your valve covers will go a long way toward reducing the mist and oil puddling on your engine. The baffles should be considerably larger than the opening (breather hole) and only leave about 1/4" gap for breathing. This is a must, as anything you do downstream will have little effect if you continue to run non-baffled valve covers.

Next, you need to decide what you want to do with your "remote" breather, which is really nothing more than a remote "accumulator".

Do you want to plumb it to the exhaust (ala race car style) ? The draw back to such configuration is that you can exacerbate oil consumption (oil can be siphoned through the valve covers due to the exhausts "pull" on the hose) and the misting can show on the underside of your car - if ran this way for too long. It's important that you keep an eye on oil level using this configuration.

You can mount it on the fender, fenderwell, radiator bulkhead, or ? However, these units will accumulate oil over time and most of the guys I know just dispose of the oil when it's time for an oil change. Of course, you still need to determine if your system is contributing to any "loss of oil" as you drive it.

Under ideal circumstances, you can mount the unit in such a manner as to permit the accumulated oil to be fed back into the engine, thereby reducing your engines oil misting and consumption. On some cars you can use the fuel pump block off plate by welding in a hose barb to attach a 'return' line from your breather system, which allows you to reclaim any oil bypassing the breathers. Such a system will result in the lowest loss of oil from your engine and keep things clean.

I hope this helps.

Southernman

On some cars you can use the fuel pump block off plate by welding in a hose barb to attach a 'return' line from your breather

Good idea and thanks, this would be easy to do.
I am running M/T valve covers any suggestions on where to get baffles for them? I am pretty handy could I make them if they are expensive?? If the baffles will cut down on the oil mist I can keep my Morroso tank in the engine compartment and mount it on the passenger side radiator bulkhead.
I like the idea of mounting it in the front fenderwell like Porsche did with my old 911 but the Morroso unit LOOKS COOL! PLUS I could have saved $80 dollars and used a BEER CAN if I mounted it where nobody would see it???
(COORS TALL BOY) of course

On some cars you can use the fuel pump block off plate by welding in a hose barb to attach a 'return' line from your breather

Good idea and thanks, this would be easy to do.
I am running M/T valve covers any suggestions on where to get baffles for them? I am pretty handy could I make them if they are expensive?? If the baffles will cut down on the oil mist I can keep my Morroso tank in the engine compartment and mount it on the passenger side radiator bulkhead.
I like the idea of mounting it in the front fenderwell like Porsche did with my old 911 but the Morroso unit LOOKS COOL! PLUS I could have saved $80 dollars and used a BEER CAN if I mounted it where nobody would see it???
(COORS TALL BOY) of course

There should be raised bosses on the underside of the valvecovers. Drill at tap them or use self tapping screws. Cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit and drill the same holes and call it done...

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 180
[/I]There should be raised bosses on the underside of the valvecovers. Drill at tap them or use self tapping screws. Cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit and drill the same holes and call it done...
Thanks for picture and I am going to do this today!!!!
I was worried about excessive blow-by but I pulled out the more problematic breather while the engine was running and rev'd it up , oil was shooting right thru the breather hole and I am figuring this is do to the HVHP oil pump. My roller rockers and springs are getting plenty of oil
With the 8qrt pan and 3 quart accummulator -11 quarts this should help keep my engine cool

-
Back