• Add a closet in the loft.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I’m in the process of building a shop and am debating on where I should put my 80 gallon Kobalt vertical compressor. The two options I’m considering are…

1. build a small room off the back of the shop (which would require spending a little more for the concrete, lumber and metal needed) or
2. put it up in the loft/mezzanine, then maybe add a closet around it if needed for noise.

Either way, I plan to either add and automatic drain valve, or plumb an air cooler and water trap in between the pump and tank.

So I’m in the process of building a shop and am debating on where I should put my 80 gallon Kobalt vertical compressor. The two options I’m considering are…

1. build a small room off the back of the shop (which would require spending a little more for the concrete, lumber and metal needed) or
2. put it up in the loft/mezzanine, then maybe add a closet around it if needed for noise.

Either way, I plan to either add and automatic drain valve, or plumb an air cooler and water trap in between the pump and tank.

If I had my time back, I would have put mine outside. Easy to do now and, added benefits of not having to listen to the noise drowning out music, conversations, phone calls.

If you put it overhead, remember vibrations will knock dust down every time it kicks in. Dont plan on painting if its overhead.

I piped mine from my Boiler room in my house to my attached garage. Piping acted as a cooler. Had a down pipe to drain condensate and filter in the garage. Easy to maintain there and nice and quite in the shop. My half bath was above, and my wife was always doing laundry. You could barely hear it. I'd install it behind your shop if you can.

Since I had the space I put mine inside it's own little room in my 35'x45' garage. I't's 5.5' x 4' x 7.5' with an insulated exterior door and threshold. The interior walls and ceiling are also insulated. I can only hear it (barely) when there is no other noise. I allowed a little extra room for storage and a makeshift urinal.

CompressorRoomA.jpg

CompressorRoomB.jpg

DartMan, I like what you did. I'm thinking about something similar when I build mine. I'm building a 40 x 40 shop, where about 8' x ??? will be divided off as my "lawnmower shed". I'm thinking of including the compressor in that area, maybe with it's own closet within, and insulated. I especially like the urinal, I'm thinking about that, too. Less need to go back in the house! I'm trying to avoid an extra concrete pad and structure around the compressor to put it outside, not to mention the extra hole or two in the wall to wire and plum it.

I was thinking about doing this but I just bought a super quiet air compressor. You could just level the dirt and use pea gravel or pavers so you don't have to pour concrete.

Shed:

https://www.amazon.com/Patiowell-Outdoor-Storage-Lockable-Backyard/dp/B0BP952Q7N/?tag=fabo03-20

Sound Deadening panels:

https://www.amazon.com/LEIYER-Upgra...e-Quick-Recovery/dp/B0C5J49RL6/?tag=fabo03-20
I did think about putting the compressor out in the enclosed lean-to as well which will be gravel.

Mine has been outside for over 20 years. No regrets on doing it.

They produce heat and need air to compress. If you build a box you are screwing the pooch on both of those.

They produce heat and need air to compress. If you build a box you are screwing the pooch on both of those.
In my situation with the door closed, it gets to about 80-85 degrees only if I'm running the sandblaster. That's a lot cooler than the ambient 95-100 degree temperatures in a typical Missouri summer. The "funnel" has a 1.5" tube running to the outside, so that may be providing enough air for the compressor. No problems in 7 years, so far.
Rick

As stated, when it's outside of the work area you don't have to contend with the noise. I put mine in a closet I added to the end of my shop and plumbed it to a 40 gallon tank that is under a work bench. That was 8 years ago and I've never regretted it.

A 2x4 enclosure with Roxul Sound insulation will knock the noise level down 10db which is a lot. Back in the day we put out shop compressor up on an open mezzanine without an enclosure. That was a big mistake.

Outside, lean to, fan cooled aftercooler, automatic drain, on concrete, bolted to rubber isolators.
I ask, when was the last time you ever had extra space inside you didn't need?

A 2x4 enclosure with Roxul Sound insulation will knock the noise level down 10db which is a lot. Back in the day we put out shop compressor up on an open mezzanine without an enclosure. That was a big mistake.
If I would put it in the mezzanine, it would definitely be in an insulated enclosure. Was the vibration an issue up there?

I was thinking about doing this but I just bought a super quiet air compressor. You could just level the dirt and use pea gravel or pavers so you don't have to pour concrete.

Shed:

https://www.amazon.com/Patiowell-Outdoor-Storage-Lockable-Backyard/dp/B0BP952Q7N/?tag=fabo03-20

Sound Deadening panels:

https://www.amazon.com/LEIYER-Upgra...e-Quick-Recovery/dp/B0C5J49RL6/?tag=fabo03-20
The unknown here is the flammability, maybe no a big deal outdoors, but inside, tear off a piece take a lighter to it first.
It is telling the Amazon listing never mentions any fire rating anywhere.

Think Whitesnake Club fire.

as J-c-c mentioned good vibration dampeners make a nice difference as well. I used some simple ones from Mcmaster Carr on my foot mount vertical tank. They have the same diameter hole as the compressor feet and just bolt right on. Made a nice difference in my small shop.

If I would put it in the mezzanine, it would definitely be in an insulated enclosure. Was the vibration an issue up there?
The sound resonated through the whole shop. By the way, a 10 db drop is perceived as half the sound level.

Drain your tank manually every day. I do not trust the automatic drain valves.

Definitely use rubber isolator pads under the feet when you lag bolt it to the floor. They make a huge difference in noise levels. I cut up an old tire I picked up at the dump and used those for the pads. (The Sawzall had to work getting through those pesky steel belts!!)
As for a hole in the shop wall, don't overthink it. Here's a 1-1/2" drain line I put through my block wall. Some mortar and paint and looks like it was made that way. The drain goes to a 28" deep hole I dug (14"x18") and filled with gravel. It's just to drain a laundry sink I use for washing hands, etc. You can also see one of the compressor feet with a pad under it.
20240126_112128.jpg

Definitely use rubber isolator pads under the feet when you lag bolt it to the floor. They make a huge difference in noise levels. I cut up an old tire I picked up at the dump and used those for the pads. (The Sawzall had to work getting through those pesky steel belts!!)
As for a hole in the shop wall, don't overthink it. Here's a 1-1/2" drain line I put through my block wall. Some mortar and paint and looks like it was made that way. The drain goes to a 28" deep hole I dug (14"x18") and filled with gravel. It's just to drain a laundry sink I use for washing hands, etc. You can also see one of the compressor feet with a pad under it.
View attachment 1716197764
They make some now that bolt through the feet but just sit on the floor so you do not even need to put holes in your concrete and can easily move the compressor if needed. They have nice grip on the bottom so the compressor won't dance. We used them at work to mount some receiver tanks and they have held up well.

Last edited:
The only issue I have unbolted, most vertical compressors are rather top heavy, being in Florida, outdoors a nearby hurricane could blow it over, a direct hit hurricane will blow it over and/or float it away bolted or not.

-
Back