Where's the Rocker Pedestal on 1967 440 915 heads

-
Reaction score
My 67 383 needs a set of 440 915 heads, I've read when buying a set:
Measure
from the center of the rocker pedestal, to the deck.

Stock head should be in the 4.13-inch range. If it’s milled more than 0.60, leave it behind.

--- Where is the Center of the Rocker Pedestal, so I know how to measure correctly?

It would be from the center of the rocker shaft, when bolted on. But that will be a tough measurement to take. Surely you can do something easier, such as valve cover rail to cylinder head deck surface. There has to be an acceptable range there. Finding out what it is........

It would be from the center of the rocker shaft, when bolted on. But that will be a tough measurement to take. Surely you can do something easier, such as valve cover rail to cylinder head deck surface. There has to be an acceptable range there. Finding out what it is........
Agree, that would be the measurement to find. Need a FABO member who has a stock set, just sitting on the shelf. TBD Thanks!

The valve cover rail is not a machined surface. I would think the measurement from it would vary widely with different casting dates and numbers. If you set the head, gasket surface down on a surface plate and bolt a rocker shaft on to the end pedestal using one of the center shaft holes, so it hangs off the end of the head, you can then measure from the shaft to the surface table using an inside micrometer.

I have a set, Do you have a picture of the block surface? Has it been milled before? A lot of us can tell by looking...

The valve cover rail is not a machined surface. I would think the measurement from it would vary widely with different casting dates and numbers. If you set the head, gasket surface down on a surface plate and bolt a rocker shaft on to the end pedestal using one of the center shaft holes, so it hangs off the end of the head, you can then measure from the shaft to the surface table using an inside micrometer.

I agree 100%, I was just using that as an example of an easier place to measure from. I know on both big and small block Chevy heads (gasp!) there are dedicated pads on the top side to take a measurement from with a set of calipers between those dedicated pads and the deck surface of the head. I even used to have the nominal measurements committed to memory. I know. Chevy guy. What can I say? That's how I got my start. Anyway, my point in all this rambling is, the Mopar stuff "SHOULD HAVE" similar measuring points. I just don't know "what they are".

I know small block reference points, not big block. I'll try to find if and where big blocks have them.

I have a set, Do you have a picture of the block surface? Has it been milled before? A lot of us can tell by looking...
Yes the block was milled, I believe the previous owner said: .060 I have not torn down motor,yet. I have a source on 915 heads, but he does not want to sell yet. If I do find a set, I'd like to know what I'm buying....

I measure 4.14 + or - .002 of an inch. Heads appear to be unmilled.

915 Measurement 1.JPG
915 Measurement 2.JPG

You could also use a large set of outside calipers to measure that, would have to be dial or digital I would think.

I would think the head bolt bosses would have been "standard" or "uniform"? So measure through the bolt hole with the depth gauge?? Don't know.............

Sorry, they are slated for my 68 383 Formula S. Old burnt oil is the best rust preventative.
Thanks for the picture, my brother has a set, but won't sell..... I'll measure his to get a dry run, when I find a set I'll be more confident in what I'm looking at...

Those are the smaller port heads. Someone had swapped them onto my 68? May have been original but I doubt it. Some guys, would not sell their good heads with a car or motor. Any 68 up heads will run better than what you have. Even if you take a loss in compression. 383 pistons do not sit as far down in the hole as 400's and 440's. Even with 516 heads you should still be pretty quick with a 383 in a 67 Barracuda?

Those are the smaller port heads. Someone had swapped them onto my 68? May have been original but I doubt it. Some guys, would not sell their good heads with a car or motor. Any 68 up heads will run better than what you have. Even if you take a loss in compression. 383 pistons do not sit as far down in the hole as 400's and 440's. Even with 516 heads you should still be pretty quick with a 383 in a 67 Barracuda?
Yes, I was happy to see all the heads that I can put on this 383, even 1971 heads are a big improvement, But, the 67 440 heads are my first interest, TBD. What I want more than anything, is a Tremec 4 spd. automatic.....

I was told that u can measure the deck thickness from the outside row of bolt holes. Should be 1 inch if not 1 inch deduct the measurement u have from 1 inch. I have never did this though. Small block supposed to be the same. Kim

Near the spark plug...chamber...the flat spot, depth check there like the factory.

Could attempt measuring intake port window, the floor/deck.

-
Back