Which 360 has the highest / best compression?

-

joesnow

Reaction score
What year 360 has the highest compression? I am thinking a magnum? How about a 90's LA? I know where I can get a '71 360. Any info would be great.
Thanks.

LA engine has 70+ cc heads
Magnums has around 60 cc heads...

depends on where the pistons are in the bore...

I would buy the 71 360 in a heartbeat....

Joe, I'm actually not sure. But, if you look at replacement pistons...as in exact replacement leagal smog slugs, the compresion height is normally listed and you could go from there.

IIRC, the Magnums are reported to be a 9.0-1 engine. Remember the Magnum head has a reduced chamber.

Now, If I had a line on a good running 71 - 360, I'd get it.
If I was rebuild one, (I am) I'd look at the KB-107's, Federal Mougal slugs next.

What year 360 has the highest compression? I am thinking a magnum? How about a 90's LA? I know where I can get a '71 360. Any info would be great.
Thanks.

They never got any higher than 8.5:1. Magnum have a touch more,cloer to 9:1 due to the smaller combustion chambers. But they are also designed to use roller cams and lifters.

the magnum chambers are much better.....

do you get the picture.....71 LA 360 block and newer magnum chambers such as EQ or Indy/rhs heads

If your block date is 10/71 Does that count and a 71 block, or would that be 72?

I have heard as well the the 71 block has thicker cylinder walls as well.

Like I say, That's what I've heard not that I know.

Who cares what the original compression is ???

If you plan to rebuilt it, all the matters is what off the shelf compression pistons are availible for the heads you want to run.

71 and 72 360's had flat tops, no dish, no valve reliefs. My 72 wasn't too far down in the bore, either, but I don't remember exactly how far down. If it is in nice shape, get it!!

The 71 block should have the same core as a 340 block, meaning it'll take a larger overbore, GRAB IT!!!

Thats what mine came out of a Fury III! Except it was a 72, the block is dated as a 71 though, so that's why I wonder if it's still considered a 71 block?

I wasn't looking at rebuilding. I am hoping to find a good runner and looking for the highest compr year. I am thinking the Magnums would be the best as is? Are they about 9-1? Most factory HP for run of the mill ?

-
Back