Which A-bodies do big blocks fit best in?

-
My ‘74 Dart Sport tips the scales about 3120 with me in it, all steel and glass hood is the only fiberglass.
My 505'' , 727 , dana 60 , 68 fastback weighed 3270 with a half tank of gas , fullbucket seat /console , 6 point cage , business coupe ...

NONE. They're all a *****.
Take ya at least a day to remove the engine, but a small block comes right out. Headers are a nitemare, no matter what brand. You will be heating and pinging them to fit for days.

Take it from a guy who has raced a 440 Dart for years...Getcha a hot small block.
You'll be one very happy Camper.

View attachment 1716085213

View attachment 1716085214
I have to disagree. I did a 440 in a 74. kept the power steering. Shumacher headers and make my own power steering pump bracket. The cast aluminum valve covers hit the bigger blower motor of th eAC car. I modified a fan motor with a universal squirrel cage. EASY.

My 68 fastback has a low deck 451 stroker with power steering fits just right.

OMJN5853.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

with raised port heads , no blower motor in engine compartment will work in a 68 barracuda ...

???? a day to get the motor out? really? i could get a big block out just as fast as a small block. maybe faster because the bell housing bolts sre so much easier to get to on tbe big block. i used pro parts headers on my demon and didn't have to put any dings in them at all. the 64 valiant i had custom headers made and they were easy as hell to get on and off.
My 440/505 is in the stock location, determined by the factory trans. mount , with victor type heads on it , there is very little room on the pass. side , can just slide you fingurs between the head and fire wall , but the wiring harness cross over there , barely room for it ....
The trans to engine bots are a ***** in a 68 barracuda in my opinion , if doing it over I`d use spacers between the k frame and frame rails , like the factory hemi cars did ...
If doing it over , I`d more likely build a big small block , way more room !!!

And dont even think about changing even a mini starter in it with 2'' headers , w/o taking the drivers side completly loose ...Put a good mini starter in it to start with ,
"dont scrimp on that !! "

And Joe , you cant even get the header bolts off of mine as fast , or the trans. bolts !!

Last edited:
I put a low deck 512 in my '72 Duster. It is a tight fit but if you have the experience and the tools you can make it work. I think '73 and newer would be even easier since you get the better steering linkage.

DSC_3630 (Large).JPG

DSC_4654 (Large).JPG

Here's a picture of my 505" in a 1968 Dart 270. Previous owner did all the work so I don't know how hard it was but looking at everything it looks like it wasn't too bad. Everything is pretty tight but I think I can manage. Headers fit but are real close. Hope they never have to come off. LOL.

s-l1600 (12).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

s-l1600 (14).jpg

-
Back