Which aluminum intake and carb to use?

-

1969cuda

Reaction score
Ive got a bone stock 1968 318, with the factory 2bbl intake and carb. Ive added a set headers and I’d like to upgrade to an aluminum intake and 4bbl carb. Any recommendations?

Used Edelbrock LD4B (pricey, but worth every penny), Edelbrock AVS2, 650 cfm

Last edited:
600 eddy , Carter 600 afb,Holley 600 dbl pump ...any of those.

Eddy performer or weiand action plus , brand new...or the used vintage ld 4b

The 625 Street Demon should work pretty well also, and they are a bit less expensive than the Eddy's with an electric choke. I do like what I'm hearing about the AVS2 though. 30+ years ago I put an Edelbrock Performer and Holley 1850 on my 318 and with headers, it really picked up the pace. Definitely want to stay with a dual plane on the street IMHO. I don't know enough about the Wieand intakes to say anything other than a friend ran one on his 360 and liked it.

With the 318, you can use virtually any dual plane manifold. The Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap intake is really good, maybe too good for the stock heads and small valve sizes. Find a good used Holley 600 cfm carb.
Don't expect a huge gain though, you can't get really big gains with those stock 318 heads. Your next mod should be a set of 340 or 360 heads and getting rid of those factory low compression dished pistons.

Depending on your timeline and budget, as others have suggested, consider a LD4B intake.

Here’s my upgrade thread:
LD4B installation on a 75 318
Along with the Ld4b, the AVS2 makes a bolt on and go combination with very little else, a Holley 570 street avenger would work well, too. I like the “as the engine can use it” secondary demand of the AVS. Read up on doing a recurve of your distributor and set your tune up accordingly, you will be very surprised at how well your stock 318 responds.

Last edited:
I'm a real fan of the Weiand stealth or action plus intakes. Sorta remind me of the LD4B intakes. A stock cast iron intake is a great intake to run as well.

If buying used I'd stay away from the early eldelbrock torker 340, no low end torque on my engine, I can't wait to switch mine out for a air gap and turn it into a boat anchor!

Edelbrock Performer 318/360. I have one if you're interested. 65'
I'd also recommend this intake manifold I know on my very first 318 I used a Edelbrock 318 streetmaster and it worked pretty well. At the same time I put a 340 grind cam and headers. there's probably a better combination but it's what I used and could find cheap parts at the Swap Meet to do..

Although on the mentioned combination above I did have a holly now that I have a bit more experience with both Holly's and Edelbrock I always highly recommend a 1406 or something Edelbrock. Much more set it and go and less fiddling.

Ive got a bone stock 1968 318, with the factory 2bbl intake and carb. Ive added a set headers and I’d like to upgrade to an aluminum intake and 4bbl carb. Any recommendations?

Remember that you will want to make sure you have the kickdown linkage set up right when you go to a 4bbl and an eddy performer.

OR...

Something like this! ;)

Edelbrock_STR-12.JPG

Now if you could find a pair of 400 AFBs, you could do the dual quad.

Edelbrock Performer and Holley 1850 600 CFM 4 barrel. That's what they were made for. Stock upgrade.

Last edited:
Now if you could find a pair of 400 AFBs, you could do the dual quad.

I'm pretty fucked up right now, and can't remember if this thread is for a 318 or a 360. This is going on my 318 project, bored 0.040 and stroked to 4" to give me a 392 Wedge so I can stomp all over those new chargers and challengers with their 392 HEMI cars.
Going to get a pair of these to go on my offy intake.

The runners are sized for 318 heads, so if I'm gonna port match them to a set of heads to handle the larger displacement I will need to add some material on the outsides of the runners.

Edelbrock 1904 AVS2 Series Dual-Quad Carb, 500 CFM, Manual Choke

Offenhauser 360 Degree Dual-Quad Low-Rise Intake Manifolds 5615

IMG_20181007_1452475[1].jpg
AVS2.jpg

Here's a picture with a 340/360 gasket.

IMG_20180123_233011.jpg

-
Back