Which automatic behind 2001 5.9 magnum?

-

vegasanthony

Reaction score
Currently i have the original 46re behind my 360 magnum swap in my 1973 dart
I thought I would be able to control shifts
But without the vss signal it constantly searching for the right gears..
Which tranny could i swap in with overdrive that would work without a computer..
Also i have 411 gears in my rear end
Thanks

46rh 42rh e is electric h is hydraulic. You will need to activate the hydraulics with some switching. Lots of info out there.

Last edited:
Use a Compushift controller. Pricey, but you'll have that much tied up in a new transmission.

Which tranny could i swap in with overdrive that would work without a computer..
You can use a 44RH or 46RH.

FYI, if using holley management, I helped their engineer with the powertrain control on the RE transmissions. You still need to use the kickdown if automatic shifting, however.

Currently i have the original 46re behind my 360 magnum swap in my 1973 dart
I thought I would be able to control shifts
But without the vss signal it constantly searching for the right gears..
Also i have 411 gears in my rear end
Thanks

I use a Stage 2 200R4 from Extreme Automatics and a Precision of New Hampton 3800 stall, 3 carbon disc clutch lock-up converter. It's the best automatic trans I've ever driven. I have it set up to only lock up the converter in 4th gear and have a single switch to unlock it if needed. I only shift into 4th gear on the highway.

I had 4.30's in the rear end and have recently swapped back to 3.91's. The 4.30's were my favorite, but I'm building a super charged 5.9 Magnum based motor which doesn't need any more torque multiplication.

Heart (Medium) (2).png

-
Back