Which brand header is the best?

-
Word has always been that the Offy was better down low and the Clifford was better on the top end. Offy's work well,I would run it.

This motor is a .30 over bottom end,melling oil pump,with a windage tray.
The head is shaved .100, ported, SI over size valves,340 springs,Erson cam, Clifford headers/intake,Ede 500.I build my own /6 Hi-Po ignition systems.

Thank you for your info.

These are the headers for my slant.

Attachments

• IMGP0113.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 220
Does TTI make headers for /6 engines? Those are nice headers, but I was wondering if there are similar ones with separate outlets in order to make duel exhaust on my car.

Does TTI make headers for /6 engines? Those are nice headers, but I was wondering if there are similar ones with separate outlets in order to make duel exhaust on my car.

hookers are....

Attachments

• Wyotech SL6 (6).JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 132
Now if they/anyone would make a header that will fit the low deck 170 /6 :banghead:

those are nice headers. do they have clearance issues when driving over speed bumps and such?

On Cliffords website they list a 3&3 slant 6 headers if ya want true duals,they are listed for 170 thru 225. I asked hooker about the 3&3 they make and they said that they're not sure if they would work on a 170.

On Cliffords website they list a 3&3 slant 6 headers if ya want true duals,they are listed for 170 thru 225. I asked hooker about the 3&3 they make and they said that they're not sure if they would work on a 170.

That is what I have seen also :glasses7: Thay just hit the water pump or just hit the side of these low short stokers :sad4:
the best we 170/ owners can do is go to a 2 1/4 down pipe and take the potato out of it
I run w.a.g.g.i.n. 6 manifolds :happy1:

Chryco got more torque out of a single exhaust, even on a 273 commando.

:thumblef: I am running 2 2'' to a single 2 1/4'' then back down to a 2'' at the tail pipe like I was advised to and I agree it needs the right amount of back pressure :thumblef:

Yes :glasses7: I remember uncapping my headers just to loss a full second in the 1/8 mile pishta :thumblef:

may or may not hit the water pump....

Attachments

• Wyotech SL6 (60).JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Wyotech SL6 (62).JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 101_4399.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 114
Backpressure ain't the thing. Scavenging is. If you look at the way the slant's exhaust is laid out, it's set up perfect for the firing order. 1-5-3-6-2-4. Every other fire is on the opposite three groups. That's perfect for scavenging. So, if you take 3 into two, you have scavenging from where the two groups of three come together. Lastly, you run the two into one and you have the perfect header for a slant. That is why they respond better with a single exhaust. It's never about backpressure in exhaust systems. Backpressure sucks, I don't give a crap who preaches that it's good. It ain't. Negative pressure or scavenging is what you're looking for and the slant is perfect for it.

THIS right here says it all.

attachment.php

I stand corrected on the /6, like yours my front three go to one and the same with the back three :thumblef:, Looks like your headers would not hit the water pump :cheers:, but the 170/ is 1'' shorter and I think they hit down low somewhere on the block, starter or the chassis
My 360 made better 1/8 mile times with the exhaust hooked up :burnout:
The truck would run a solid 8.30 1/8 some times 8.15, but uncork the headers and it was good to make a 9 second pass.
Thank you for your wisdom on this SS, I may remove my 2'' tail pipe and go 2 1/4'' when I put my new head on :thumblef: I will be picking your brain on a came grind if the day ever comes to take the good head I am running now bone stock.

Well, on small cube engines (like slant, 273 and 318) a good single exhaust with a Y pipe and larger final exhaust pipe seems to work best. When you get to the 340 and 360 and above, duals pay off exponentially.

This was my thoughts too that 3 pipes may not have the pulses to scavenge as well as the 6 in to 1 pipes. Probably make more power with the single collector and split it downstream.

I stand corrected on the /6, like yours my front three go to one and the same with the back three :thumblef:, Looks like your headers would not hit the water pump :cheers:, but the 170/ is 1'' shorter and I think they hit down low somewhere on the block, starter or the chassis
My 360 made better 1/8 mile times with the exhaust hooked up :burnout:
The truck would run a solid 8.30 1/8 some times 8.15, but uncork the headers and it was good to make a 9 second pass.
Thank you for your wisdom on this SS, I may remove my 2'' tail pipe and go 2 1/4'' when I put my new head on :thumblef: I will be picking your brain on a came grind if the day ever comes to take the good head I am running now bone stock.

Must be in the tune because my 360 swinger ran 4/10ths quicker uncapped.

Must be in the tune because my 360 swinger ran 4/10ths quicker uncapped.
I believe you are right Pete, not enough carb cfm's... Look's like another day of stopping and learning something :happy1:

-
Back