Which Cam do you like?

-

LeeM

Reaction score
I have a '74 Scamp that I just pulled the motor due to the left bank smoking and found that it is either a performance or truck block- 4 bolt main & roller cam mounts- Ok please give me a little slack I'm new to this and classify myself as "dangerous" ... my question: which cam to use?
I want to build just a fun nice sounding driver. I'm not interested in quarter mile times because of the gas mileage ratio with speed. I had the stock heads rebuilt, have an Edelbrock Performer manifold & 600 CFM carb. Everything else is stock: 904, 273 buck gears, manifolds... I plan to mini tub and set the stance low so headers most likely won't work because A Body that I have seen at the shows their collector hangs lower than the sub frame .... so what cam would you use?
Comp cam's Thumper? Crane's 15000??

Thanks for your input!

No small block engine ever came with 4 bolt mains, maybe the 1 year only 340 6pak cars did. Hummm, I forget...

OR it is a race block with 4 bolt mains.

On a basic level, when looking at cams to choose from, base your selection on;

Cruise RPM. As in what you cruise at. The cams duration numbers will tell you when it starts to make power and where it will cruise at.

Then lift based on what your head will flow. Not much sense in getting a .600 lifting cam when your heads quite at .450.

Centerline should be a 110 for a 360, 112 for a 318.

Here's my question, I am in the process of building a 340-40over bore, X-heads with an open plentum intake w/TQ, four speed trans and 4/30 8-3/4 rear. I want to put a roller cam in it, My question is what cam and what size? Thanks.

Thread hi-jacker! Thread HI-jacker.....

You have a lack of inof to really get into this question. I suggest starting your own thread and adding info and target goal and type of useage the car will see.

Sorry, I thought you had answered his question and thought you could answer mine, my bad! .

Loving the Comp Cam Extreme Hi Lift series.
They really make some amazing power.
Oh ya............sound very nice too !!
Here is a clip of my 360:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbaR0CuWG4g"]YouTube - Dart Sport 360 XE275XL Comp Cams Idle[/ame]

If you want sound, there is no better cam than the Comp Thumper. I would use the smallest one based on your info and usage. What puzzle's me is your idea of mileage. If you want mileage than don't use a cam that's going to have the "nice sound" The nice sound comes with a price! So my friend what's your poison; sound or mileage? I also agree with rumble fish: 4-bolt main? Yeah that would be a T/A or race block or something. Take some pictures of it including numbers and such. Somebody here will identify it.

also agree with rumble fish: 4-bolt main? Yeah that would be a T/A or race block or something. Take some pictures of it including numbers and such. Somebody here will identify it.

T/A blocks were 2 bolt mains. Had extra beef so you could add 4 bolt mains.

Thanks, I will look to see what the heads are suppose to flow - the machine shop didn't do allot to them, he said they looked really good-- what ever that means ...

Timmy's Toy, I want it all ! horse power and great mileage... I guess my question was a little premature. I have had high horse power rigs and found the gas mileage stopped me from driving it more... it's always fun for the day trips so now I thinking this build should be a little tamer. I have to replace the cam so I'm just looking at options. My brother-in-law has a Dakota 5.2 mag running stock manifolds to 2.5" with X member into Flowmasters and it sounds good..... again I was just looking for some advise--- off to research what block I have.
Thank you!

the 318 block shares the same casting number as the factory X race block..but they are not the same....it has come up serveral times with owners of 318 blocks thinking they have a 4 bolt main block...

as noted above NO OEM blocks from the factory came with 4 block main...the TA blocks had thickers webs for 4 bolts ...but they too are 2 bolts main...

Timmy's Toy, I want it all ! horse power and great mileage... I guess my question was a little premature. I have had high horse power rigs and found the gas mileage stopped me from driving it more... it's always fun for the day trips so now I thinking this build should be a little tamer. I have to replace the cam so I'm just looking at options. My brother-in-law has a Dakota 5.2 mag running stock manifolds to 2.5" with X member into Flowmasters and it sounds good..... again I was just looking for some advise--- off to research what block I have.
Thank you!

Here's what I know from my days in the 70's. Sig Erson, now Erson Cams, came out with a high lift, short duration cam, based on I believe a 110 or 112 centerline base. The idea behind it was to create torque, which in street cars was what you wanted more than big horsepower. I used them in building a couple of big block Chevy's in the mid-70's and a Jeep CJ5 304 in the 90's. They worked very well. Today's camshafts especially from companies like Comp have expanded that technology to unbelievable results. (computer's dude!) The Comp cam Extreme Series is the latest extension of what Erson started in the 70's. They are an awesome power producing device and as Sport 360 showed, have a tremendous sound. The power curve is as good as you're going to get across the board and it will give you in my opinion the best power versus mileage combo available without a custom grind. If it was me I'd go with the Comp Extreme XE275HL. This again is my opinion, and my opinion and 50 cents won't buy you a Coke in most places! Good luck!

Thanks for the compliments. The exhaust is very simple, Hooker Super Comps with a FlowTech X pipe and the Thrush 2 chamber mufflers and turndowns.

Has a really great sound, it even sets off my neighbors car alarm LOL !! :wav:

Here's what I know from my days in the 70's. Sig Erson, now Erson Cams, came out with a high lift, short duration cam, based on I believe a 110 or 112 centerline base. The idea behind it was to create torque, which in street cars was what you wanted more than big horsepower. I used them in building a couple of big block Chevy's in the mid-70's and a Jeep CJ5 304 in the 90's. They worked very well. Today's camshafts especially from companies like Comp have expanded that technology to unbelievable results. (computer's dude!) The Comp cam Extreme Series is the latest extension of what Erson started in the 70's. They are an awesome power producing device and as Sport 360 showed, have a tremendous sound. The power curve is as good as you're going to get across the board and it will give you in my opinion the best power versus mileage combo available without a custom grind. If it was me I'd go with the Comp Extreme XE275HL. This again is my opinion, and my opinion and 50 cents won't buy you a Coke in most places! Good luck!

Couldn't have said it any better. My co-worker, Tim Banning, is the owner of FHO (For Hemis Only) who has extensive knowledge in Mopar engine building and it was on his recommendation I use this cam. Between his CNC work on the heads and this cam and valvetrain, this 360 really barks !!

If you want sound, there is no better cam than the Comp Thumper. I would use the smallest one based on your info and usage. What puzzle's me is your idea of mileage. If you want mileage than don't use a cam that's going to have the "nice sound" The nice sound comes with a price! So my friend what's your poison; sound or mileage? I also agree with rumble fish: 4-bolt main? Yeah that would be a T/A or race block or something. Take some pictures of it including numbers and such. Somebody here will identify it.

Timmy, when you tossed in the Thumpr, what all did you swap out to add it? Comp cams has a big list of things that need changed. I'm curious how much of this is true, and how much of this is needless upsells. I'm running a 360 magnum. Looking to get that good thump thump.

-
Back