Which cam? Hughes? Comp? Lunati?

-

yambra

Reaction score
I'm looking for your thoughts on which cam would be the best route. So I'm looking to get a cam for a low compression 440. I currently have a Performer intake and a 750 Edelbrock carb. I don't have any exhaust yet, but I plan to go with a set of Shumacher headers and a 2 1/2" exhaust. I was originally thinking about going with a Whiplash cam from Hughes because it seems people are getting pretty good results with it. When I talked to the people at Hughes they mentioned another cam they would recommend is their HEH2832BL. Then I read a while back that someone was running a comp XE274H in a low comp 440 running high 12's without being tuned yet. But I also see people saying a lot of good things about the Lunati Voodoo cams. So I was looking at the 268/276 cam.

Here are the different cam specs:

Hughes Whiplash
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh):
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 232/245
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .518/.518
LSA/ICL: 107/
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1800-5200

Hughes HEH2832BL
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh):
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 228/232
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .524/.540
LSA/ICL: 110/
RPM Range: 1800-5400

Comp XE274H
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 274/286
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 230/236
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .488/.491
LSA/ICL: 110/106
RPM Range: 1800-6000

Lunati Voodoo 268/276
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
LSA/ICL: 110/106
RPM Range: 1800-6200

I had this same dilemma this winter. I had a low wear 30 over 440 from a 78 Chrysler. Wanted to go budget mode and not touch the short block as it had almost no wear. Looked at all those cams and crunched numbers many nights. In the long run I realized I was trying to compensate for a low compression motor with a cam and couldn't shake the feeling that I wouldn't be satisfied. The Whiplash really intrigued me. Dunnuck Racing did an eddy headed 9.2:1 440 with a Whiplash that cranked out 491hp, 578lbft!

The Whiplash cams are specifically designed to maximize cylinder pressure in low compression engines while giving them a nice lumy idle. They are really sharp there. I would run the Whiplash.

All those cams are in the ballpark. Hughes would be fine.

One thing, i know Comp. recommends a single or a dual spring. Not sure on the others, but with duals, you'll have to consider guide & seal mods if yours are still stock.

All those cams are in the ballpark. Hughes would be fine.

One thing, i know Comp. recommends a single or a dual spring. Not sure on the others, but with duals, you'll have to consider guide & seal mods if yours are still stock.

For the Hughes cams they suggest a single spring with a damper.

the howards i bought from summit was 129.99 for cam only.

Check Howard's out. Just received, a Howard's hyd roller.(360). Craftmanship,worlds better than the Crower I pulled out. And ,have ran Crowers,for 25 years.

Yup. Probably so. It's not like any of the mentioned cams will make more than 20 HP more than the other.

You guys have a good point. Other than the cam, lifters, and springs, what else am I going to need? I figure intake, water pump, and timing cover gaskets. What am I missing?

I'm biased towards Hughes. I have a HEH2328Al in my street car 360 Dart. I've ran the HTL7680BS and the HTL8087BS in the race cars

I'm biased towards Hughes. I have a HEH2328Al in my street car 360 Dart. I've ran the HTL7680BS and the HTL8087BS in the race cars

I was too...have about 5 hughes cams...but after buying this howards my bias has changed...Howard cuts their own cams...hughes is just a vendor for someone else ..they dont cut their own cams...

205 for a hydraulic cam from hughes...129 for the howards...the math is simple for me..

What about durability - hardening of the surface?

All Howards™ cams are ground at Howards Cams™, not reboxed like some cam companies. All Howards™ cams use the highest-grade race quality cores available. All hydraulic and mechanical flat tappet camshafts are 100% Rockwell checked and Parkerized to ensure the highest quality control standards available anywhere. Howards™ Cams are manufactured on dedicated high precision cam grinding machines. Most Howards™ cams are packaged and shipped in our unique, hard, high impact plastic reusable cases. This ensures that the high quality camshaft that went into the case comes out in the same condition, when delivered, as when it was packed.

from their website for whatever that is worth...

Not to hijack the OP's topic....But has anyone used Howards for a solid roller custom grind, on a supercharged application? Just curious.

All Howards™ cams are ground at Howards Cams™, not reboxed like some cam companies. All Howards™ cams use the highest-grade race quality cores available. All hydraulic and mechanical flat tappet camshafts are 100% Rockwell checked and Parkerized to ensure the highest quality control standards available anywhere. Howards™ Cams are manufactured on dedicated high precision cam grinding machines. Most Howards™ cams are packaged and shipped in our unique, hard, high impact plastic reusable cases. This ensures that the high quality camshaft that went into the case comes out in the same condition, when delivered, as when it was packed.

from their website for whatever that is worth...

Thanks.

Fwiw,just ordered/installed a Howard's hyd roller in my Magnum.(a retro fit la grind. Ground on a real billet,not cast. Also has a cast gear installed on the billet core. Nice stuff.

-
Back