Which cam to use?

-
Agreed. There difference in duration is very small and the difference in performance is very minor.
The issue with any cam is clearance and the heads must be checked at the valve for the max lift and potentail problems.

The overall combo should be disclosed for better info on what is and what could be good or better.

1984 360, stock bottom end, KB 107 flat top pistons, J heads, LD 340 intake, 750 carb(don't have yet but looking so I don't know the brand). Shooting for 10:1 compression. Want to be able to sit at a stop light when I need it to but wake up at the strip. If you need anything else let me know.

Thank you.

68 fatback, ethier cam will do very well.

KP, whatcha got?

My response is the #5 reply and I stick to it.

what gears & convertor? what kind of et you going for?

When I think street/strip, I'm picturing .520+lift, 284*+duration.

Ah soon you all will be very tired of me because I have a complete pile of crap I am trying to turn into a good car. Soon I will need help on the total package to try and get the car into the 12's. I have a 68 Barracuda with 3.23 gears but want to change to 3.91 and a 727 trans with a stock 318 converter, so I will probably be buying a new converter so I can get a higher stall and better part. Still dont know what tires I am running, I need 4 new tires so I am trying to find a cheep set for me. I also dont know what I will need to do with the drive line because it is from a A 833 4speed. I dont know if I have to change the length or not. Sorry for the long post I am just in a bind and dont know what to do. I only have $2500 to put it on the track.

Thank you

Brad

you didn't scare anybody off. The cam I'd really like to suggest you look at is the xe285hl. With your combo, have that block decked to zero, you'll have your compression. The hl cams from comp are excellent! Mopar only, high lift, and they will be great on the trck, and fun on the street.

you didn't scare anybody off. The cam I'd really like to suggest you look at is the xe285hl. With your combo, have that block decked to zero, you'll have your compression. The hl cams from comp are excellent! Mopar only, high lift, and they will be great on the trck, and fun on the street.

And that wouldn't be too big? I'm not doubting you I just really have no idea.LOL

It sounds more like a car that will see more street miles then strip time. If I were to build a car for 90% race time it would have a more compression, A solid cam and more gear.

Its not that it will see more street time, I just dont want to pay for race fuel on the times it is on the street. All I need to make is in the 12's to make my wife happy because it is realy her car. once it is going in the 12's I know she will want it to go faster but then I get to start on my car.

Either of those cams could probably get you high 12s but I think I would look for a little more cam then that.

I'm looking for as much info as I can get because I am pretty ignorant when it comes to performance. What size cam should I go for and not be overdoing it?

I dont know a ton about building motors but I would look for something around 240* @.050" and a solid would probably be the way to go.

You can run the single sprigns with the Comp XE268. The Lunati wants duals. The lunatis runs a faster ramp speed and might make more power. But it will cost more with the head mods for dual springs.

would this be a good cam for my aplication?

Mopar Performance #312-P4120233
Purple Shaft Cam & Lifter Kit
Adv. Duration: .292°/292°
Dur. @ .050'': 248°/248°
Lift: .508''/.508''
Centerline: 108°
Basic RPM: 2800-6200 RPM

-
Back