which carb will work better ?

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
I have a slightly modified 360 v8 that im putting in my 73 scamp.
i have a super thermoquad in a box that needs to be rebuilt. i also been looking at a new street demon, i was wondering what would work best ?

I'm probably gonna get pummeled for this, but the TQ is a fantastic carb for that motor...Super TQ (I assume you mean the CS series) is that much better

I would go with the one that makes the most power....

Quickfuel 750..throw the "thermo-bog" in the trash and Demon carbs suck!!!

im no big carb tech guy.but you cant go wrong with a holley 750.easy to tune,almost out of the box perfect.

Actually it is the reverse there Skews. The non helpful Holley guys came out and here's why.
He asks what carb works best with two choices given. Holley was not among them.

Capt. I do beileve the CS -TQ is the electric choke model @ 800cfm with the small primary.
I don't know about the Demons primary size. Between them, & the description of the engine as being warned over (AKA very vague.) I myself would try the TQ since it is on hand before dropping money on a new carb.

Actually it is the reverse there Skews. The non helpful Holley guys came out and here's why.

Capt. I do beileve the CS -TQ is the electric choke model @ 800cfm with the small primary.
I don't know about the Demons primary size. Between them, & the description of the engine as being warned over (AKA very vague.) I myself would try the TQ since it is on hand before dropping money on a new carb.

I agree, but if you find it runs bad, and don't want to tune it, or put the time in to learn about t-quad's just toss on a 750 holley vacuum secondary it should run fine and be jetted very close right out of the box.

i have a 360 about 10 to 1 compression, balanced rods, pistons & flywheel.
474 lift cam . intake valves were hogged out to 202. and a thermoquad intake manifold.
hope this helps.......also i have a old spread bore duel feed holley laying around

I was going to say....the one that you (or a friend) know how to work on! But EL5DEMON340 kinda said that. How good a carb works out of the box for any particular combination is a crap shoot. I learned on Holleys but I respect how well Thermoquads can be made to run. Just look at many of the small block '71 - '80 Mopars in Stock and Super Stock.

If Thermoquads belonged in trash cans, Chrysler would not have used tens of millions of them. Ford used them, so did GM and International. May have been others. Carter also sold the performance Superquad versions in the aftermarket.

Not to mention all of the Stock Eliminator races won and records set with Thermoquads. You can really tell when total ignorance uses a keyboard.

Also, if the new Demons sucked, they would not be selling so good and they would not have such a good reputation.

Either carburetor will work great, IMO.

Here's the skinny.

If you can afford the new Demon, go for it. They are nice. Get me one too. The plastic body 750 please. lol

If budget is a concern though and you know how to tune or can learn to tune a Thermoquad, they can be fantastic.

That's it in a nutshell.

EL5, good point except, some people that are afraid of a TQ and stick with and learn Holley carbs went through the same learning curve that someone that doesn't understand a Holley and learned the TQ.

6 or 1/2 dozen.

If you find a Holley and it runs bad and you don't want to tune it or learn it, then, Do you now become stupid? Because it is a Holley? Do you become more of an idiot because you decided on getting the TQ to work?

That's what the Holley lovers seem to point to here on the board. Holley or nothing! Is the battle cry. Use a Holley because there great! OOTB perfect!

LMAO! Really?!?!

What ever carb YOU are comfortable working on is more than likely the carb that will work for you and the engine.

I also find it laughable how others say use a Holley and point out a after market modifier of the carb or point to a $800 race Holley. If find it hard to justify an extra 6/700 expense for a few ponies when your in the street or for a daily driver.

Loco & RRR make excellent honest real world points for the major majority of people and there rides/rides expectations.
There's nothing wrong with a Holley, but to just toss a carb you don't want to or never understood without taking the time to learn anything about it just seems like a waste of money time and effort as well as simpleton Chevy minded thinking. The me 2 syndrome.

yea look at all those tq on the drag strip,ever wonder why 8 out of 10 run holleys,just saying

Rumble, you make sense there. Good post. RRR, kudos to you also.

as allways most of you guys want the most power. fine if thats all you want. so if you like the holley fine. but the ones i have worked on need a LOT of work. i like the AFBs. they are very stable, easy to tune / mod. i have seen very few times on the street that max power was really needed. IMHO.

yea look at all those tq on the drag strip,ever wonder why 8 out of 10 run holleys,just saying

Holley probably has the highest production and longest run of any type of carb out there - mainly 4150, 4160 and 4500. Most people can learn how to tune them from books, friends or the internet. LOTS of articles out there. They are pretty simple, have been refined over the years and do work very well. All the TQ people are simply saying that they can be made to run just as fast as a similarly sized Holley if you know how to tune them. But they are more complicated than a Holley and the amount of parts is intimidating to the uneducated. What makes it worse is that most were made for production vehicles with all sorts of mileage and emission regulations that had to be dealt with and the variety of high performance tuning parts isn't there either. But as has been mentioned several times....you can't deny a TQ's potential when the rule restricted small block Stock class Mopars can run well into the 10's and many more are in the 11's weighing between 3,000 and 3,600 lbs. No strokers, no nitrous!

Go with what you are best familiar with. If you don't know how to adjust/tune it, it's not a good option for you...

Use something that you or a close car friend knows how to work on and tune.

RRR and Rumble are great with Thermoquads and can make them run well.

If you like Holleys and know how to tune and work on them, then go with those.

Carburetors are like women, if you don't know what to do with them, then you're just wasting your time....

340 with a thermoquad. it wasn't even set to kill mode on this pass..:)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wID6mdZbs&feature=youtu.be"]ken - YouTube[/ame]

(sigh) Here we go again.
Hating something because you don't understand it, or are afraid of it because you don't understand it, is prejudicial and narrow-minded.
It's been proven again and again that the TQ can not only perform, but WIN.
That being said, being an old Holley guy myself, the Holleys are much easier to understand and therefore, tune.
However, if the OP is a sharp guy and doesn't mind spending a couple hours watching this series of vids I posted:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=308013

he can save himself 400 bucks or more and run as good or better than any other carb out there.
What's he got to lose?
If it doesn't work he can try another brand of carb.
Everyone has a preference and choice when it comes to carbs. They're all good, all have pluses and minuses. It's all in what you know and like; what works for you, the OP.
Try the TQ. You might like it. If not, there are probably lots of guys here who would love to take it off your hands.
Do you have a model no. off the TQ? (found on the left rear base plate bolt pad flat)

Like this:

16054461284_d37b66e96d_z.jpg

Let me know and I can tell you a bit more about it.

He said Superquad. That's only four numbers. 9800S, 9801S, 9810S and 9011S.

Right, but we are going on the assumption that it is a Superquad. It might not be. Number will positive-ID it.

Exactly. Some people incorrectly refer to the real early race only TQs as superquad, but there were only those four numbers. I used to have a pile f them but now I am down to only one or two.

-
Back