WHich Chemical can be used for Stripping the Radiator for paint

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
Greetings FABO,

I want to repaint my Radiator but I'm not sure how I should approach stripping it down. I was thinking about using aerosol aircraft stripper but wondered if that might be too corrosive.
Another thought I had was using Easy Off oven cleaner.

Please share your experience.

I should say that this unit was recently painted but I am unhappy with the result and my OCD is kicking in.

6351DED7-3E6E-4E6E-95A5-CEFA24C24F50_zpszgcgvpsr.jpg

D293AB1C-932F-48BB-851A-944B7B7E8341_zps9mrqftpb.jpg

06C271D6-80A3-415E-9288-525183E78C9A_zpszp2k1d6g.jpg

Thanks!

Take it to a radiator shop and have them vat it.......Easy Peasy....
Definitely an option.
I probably should have pointed out in my original post that I'd like to take it from a DIY perspective.

Methylene Chloride......Likley what will be in the A/C stripper....Spray on gel that washes off with water....

Easy Off original will work. The low odor type or store brands aren't nearly as strong/effective.

Methylene Chloride......Likley what will be in the A/C stripper....Spray on gel that washes off with water....

Do you think that the use of this stripper would have any adverse reaction with the copper brass and solder?

A bunch of years ago when I did HVAC we used an alkaline condenser coil cleaner. It was a concentrate that had to be diluted prior to use. This stuff was very corrosive and would eat up the aluminum fins which is what I want to avoid on the Rad. lol

Easy Off original will work. The low odor type or store brands aren't nearly as strong/effective.

Thanks! I'm thinking Easy off would be the safest bet. I like the idea of Aircraft stripper I'm just concerned that it might be too aggressive.

Thanks! I'm thinking Easy off would be the safest bet. I like the idea of Aircraft stripper I'm just concerned that it might be too aggressive.

No...The aircraft stripper will not be corrosive to the metal.....Easy off will be more corrosive...

Well I took a gamble and hit it with easy off. It wasn't as aggressive as I expected, It need two treatments with a 30 min soak.

Tomorrow I straighten the fins, The. prep and paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 207
sorry can't attach more than one from the iPhone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 229
A 69 A body 22" with HD cooling. Nice piece. I need to look for a 944 or 945.
Looks like the oven cleaner worked pretty good. I had some leaks to fix and the shop asked me if I wanted it painted. I said no. I Scotchbrited the tanks and brackets and used John Deere semi gloss black. That stuff comes out of the can in such a fine mist. It worked well. tmm

Attachments

• 416.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 417.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 208
Thanks Mike! And thanks for the tip on the John Deere black.
You Rad looks rad!

That looks SO much better....I can't stand gloss black on a radiator!!

Thought this was funny....Just got my radiator back with shiny new paint :banghead: LOL :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P1020170.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 145
  • P1020171.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 144
The radiator guy told me that was correct rad paint.....Too bad :wack:

I couldn't stand it & just shot over it with some rattle can low sheen black. It looks MUCH better now :D

I thought about polishing the tanks on mine since they are brass.

I use old glycol brake fluid as a cheap paint remover. For valve covers, I cover w/ rags soaked in it and put in a plastic bag for a few days. The paint curls right off. At least it is free and good for a 1st pass.

-
Back