Which Compressor Did They Use?

-

doc540

Reaction score
On the earliest, (mine's a 1961) A Bodies, what compressor did the use on the Slant Six engines?

Was it the dual piston model or a single?

Getting ready to begin engineering add-on air on the '61 Lancer and need all the tech help I can get.

I have the original compressor mounts, but don't know which compressor to use.

Thanks!

Pretty sure the RV2 was still being used that far back.

Hi,,

The RV type twin piston compressors go back to the late 50's. The slant sixes used a smaller displacement version and was labeled RV. V8's used a slightly larger displacement RV-2. By the time the aftermarket rebuilders got into things they are all called RV-2's and both versions got used kind of interchangeably. But, technically your early slant six car would have used the smaller RV at around 9 cubic inches displacement. Both types are physically the same size and will mount in the same brackets. Externally only the data plate on top of one of the cylinder heads will identify the type and these plates are often discarded by rebuilders.

Hi,,

The RV type twin piston compressors go back to the late 50's. The slant sixes used a smaller displacement version and was labeled RV. V8's used a slightly larger displacement RV-2. By the time the aftermarket rebuilders got into things they are all called RV-2's and both versions got used kind of interchangeably. But, technically your early slant six car would have used the smaller RV at around 9 cubic inches displacement. Both types are physically the same size and will mount in the same brackets. Externally only the data plate on top of one of the cylinder heads will identify the type and these plates are often discarded by rebuilders.

Thanks, that's just the info I was looking for.

-
Back