Which conversion kit to buy?

-

Cuda_Carl

Reaction score
Friends who've done this before.... I'm ready to pull the trigger on new parts for my 67 cuda conv driver. This is not going to be a drag car - but it does have a 400hp 340. I want to get an economical power disc conversion set up for the front and retro some tubular control arms. I have the 10" spindles.... Classic Industries has what appears to be the ideal kit MN5002 for about $1000....or maybe the SSBC kit (w/o) control arms and drop spindles for $1100

Thoughts?

That Classic kit is quit complete for that kind of money, the only real advantage I can see is the SSBC kit can come with the 4 and the 4.5 pattern and has 4 piston calipers.
What bolt pattern are you going with?

That Classic kit is quit complete for that kind of money, the only real advantage I can see is the SSBC kit can come with the 4 and the 4.5 pattern and has 4 piston calipers.
What bolt pattern are you going with?

Oh I'm going 4.5... Bigger aluminum wheels ride and look better....

He does. You can buy the brake kit here and add everything but the spindles and UCA's 10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

He sells the spindles and UCA's as well Mopar Reproduction Disc Brake Knuckles for A/B/E Bodies and Mopar Upper Control Arms. Although you could also just buy is ball joint adaptors and keep the small ball joint UCA's you have.

So, its not a full kit per say that you can click one link and order it all, but he has everything you need. I'd just call him and tell him what you're doing, Cass @DoctorDiff knows what you need.

I have a reman'd stocker 73 power disc setup with ebc brakes and ebay stainless hoses and have intense braking power. all you really need are brackets and spindles. parts stores have the rest, and you can use yours as cores. i used an 80's aluminum master cylinder with a mopar performance adapter to the reman'd 73 booster. you can grab the prop valve off a 73+ car.

it wasn't that hard for me to piece it together, much cheaper than any kit, and I'm not that smart.

these a bodies are easy to stop.

I have a reman'd stocker 73 power disc setup with ebc brakes and ebay stainless hoses and have intense braking power. all you really need are brackets and spindles. parts stores have the rest, and you can use yours as cores. i used an 80's aluminum master cylinder with a mopar performance adapter to the reman'd 73 booster. you can grab the prop valve off a 73+ car.

it wasn't that hard for me to piece it together, much cheaper than any kit, and I'm not that smart.

these a bodies are easy to stop.
Ahhh.....you have time to source and it's not 6 degrees there......just not the same living in Vermont with 2 little kids...Seems like the CI kit is the way to go. Nobody has come out and said "Don't buy from them it's crap" which is what I was looking out for. Thanks everybody!

I'm not trying to be a dick, but:
What's the delivered cost of that kit? 1300ish?
What's the delivered cost of a 73 up used kit, with freshly machined rotors, and caliper seals,new pads,and hoses? Maybe $400 tops?
That's a 900 dollar difference.
My net wages after paying taxes, government mandatory pension, mandatory unemployment insurance, and union dues, is about $15/hr.
900/15=60 hours for me. That's a week and a half! Almost 3% of a typical annual years income.
I'm very glad you have it to spend. And no, I'm not jealous, just saying.That would buy my kids a lot of grub.
Up here I can sometimes buy a complete donor car for $300.It might even have a 8.25 in it with a 4.5bc. If not, then for sure a 7.25 with a 4.5bc.

Honest I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't have 60 hours to spend like that. I'm semi-retired now, and those 60 hours, represent for me 2.7 weeks work,5.2% of my annual income. Just saying.
I could spend an hour on the phone and those parts would be ready for pick up,by the time I got there.Maybe I'm blessed that way.
Jus-saying.

Ahhh.....you have time to source and it's not 6 degrees there......just not the same living in Vermont with 2 little kids...Seems like the CI kit is the way to go. Nobody has come out and said "Don't buy from them it's crap" which is what I was looking out for. Thanks everybody!

No one recommended that you actually buy the classic industries kit either. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

To source it yourself all you need is the spindles, caliper brackets, and if you don't want to use ball joint adaptors the 73+ or FMJ UCA's. The calipers, rotors, hoses and bearings should be bought new anyway and the core charge pretty much negates any savings from pulling them yourself. Although there's pretty much nothing that hits the yards even here anymore. But even when there was I had stopped pulling the calipers and other stuff, they rarely looked good enough to bother with.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but;

DANM A/J !!!!! But you did a god job of it.
Here is a twist!

Who are you to degrade & rip HIS choice on where he spends HIS money?

By your math,
My net wages after paying taxes, government mandatory pension, mandatory unemployment insurance, and union dues, is about $15/hr.
900/15=60 hours for me. That's a week and a half! Almost 3% of a typical annual years income.
You need a second job bro!

As a member here loves to state and all so very well it is always a perfectly valid statement;
Pick your parts, pay your price.
Your car your way! Not what someone else thinks or brow beats you into. You can suggest the obvious on cost. But seriously, bring your pay chack into it? Verse his? On how he should spend his money?

WOW! Arrogance-maxumis!

From my own personal experience just a few months ago. Do NOT I mean do NOT buy the SSBC conversion kits!!!! There chinese cheap rotors are junk! 1st set of rotors were anywhere from .007-.012 runout out of the box!!! After another 2weeks of waiting! The second set of "new" Chinese rotors were .006 & .009 runout! They claim that .005 is ok?!?!?! I ended up turning NEW rotors at Lincoln clutch & brake here in lincoln. Solved that problom. Also the holes for the small bolt pattern were not the same dia. Half of the studs supplyed would not press in! Two diffrent style studs & holes were not same dia! Again 10 of the same size wheel studs fixed this issue. So, $900 & change for a disc brake conversion kit needs an additional $70 bucks woth of rotor machining & uniform small bolt pattern studs!!! The rest went ok & brakes work like they should now with no pulsating. They tried to say your spindle's are bent. WTF?!?! Ah iyour rotors were stright & my spindles eere bent id never see it on my dial indicator genius! Id just effect wheel bearings & camber alignment! Again just my personal experience within the last 2 months with SSBC!

-
Back