Which converter to buy??

-

JJUSE67GTS

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading the converter in my 67 GTS 383. Who has a good reputation for building a good street/strip converter for reliability and performance?? Going to be pushing 450hp/510ftlbtq thinking 2000/2500 stall 3.73 rear. Some experienced advice would be great.

Ultimate did mine. Works very well. 410 Stroker Pump Gas, Built 904 by me, FRMVB with T Brake and a 180 hit of NOS.

Call and give Lenny your specs. Their customer service is top notch.

You'd be better off with a higher stall I would think. Something around 3000 or 3500. I went with Dynamic on mine. 8" 5500 stall behind a 417 with W2 heads, 28" tire, 4.10 gears. Dynamic will probably talk you into their 9.5" if you call them. That is their popular converter and they claim it is quicker than any other 10" 4000 stall on the market by 2 tenths. I don't know how true that is but it's what they claimed.

You're over in Alberta. Contact Steve at T.C.S. (1-800-960-1177) in Langley B.C. They will custom build you a converter for YOUR APPLICATION. Converters come with a warranty, something you normally don't see with high stalls.
If you go to their website www.tcsproducts.com they have a spec sheet for you to fill out when ordering a high stall. They, like any good converter builder need this information to get you the right converter for your car.

You'd be better off with a higher stall I would think. Something around 3000 or 3500. I went with Dynamic on mine. 8" 5500 stall behind a 417 with W2 heads, 28" tire, 4.10 gears. Dynamic will probably talk you into their 9.5" if you call them. That is their popular converter and they claim it is quicker than any other 10" 4000 stall on the market by 2 tenths. I don't know how true that is but it's what they claimed.

You ordered a Doughnut! Mine is mostly street driven so I went with Ultimates 9.5".

You ordered a Doughnut! Mine is mostly street driven so I went with Ultimates 9.5".

Yes it's a small converter and it's LIGHT! Too, my Dart will mostly be street driven more than track driven. I had ordered the 9.5" initially and then I said screw it, I want the fastest converter I can put in it that will still be ok on the street. Only gonna do this once so figured why not. It's only money right? Lol. Only gonna run a couple hundred rpm higher on the highway over the 9.5", it will be faster in the quarter, it's not going to act any different putting around town than any other high stall converter except when you mash it, trans temps might be a little higher but have a trans oil cooler and a finned cast aluminum deep pan that should take care of that. So I was kinda like why not. I have a buddy who had a Nova that was quite literally the Chevy version of my build. He ran an 8" 5500 stall and he said it acted no different around town than the 3000 stall he had in it. He drove it to the track and back home and no issues all the time. He said the trans oil temps NEVER got hot even in the midst of summer. I've even been told the exact same thing from the converter companies when I talked to them and their experiences with 8" converters on the street. Can't hardly tell the difference between a 10" and an 8" except when you put the pedal down. Here's mine

Yes it's a small converter and it's LIGHT! Too, my Dart will mostly be street driven more than track driven. I had ordered the 9.5" initially and then I said screw it, I want the fastest converter I can put in it that will still be ok on the street. Only gonna do this once so figured why not. It's only money right? Lol. Only gonna run a couple hundred rpm higher on the highway over the 9.5", it will be faster in the quarter, it's not going to act any different putting around town than any other high stall converter except when you mash it, trans temps might be a little higher but have a trans oil cooler and a finned cast aluminum deep pan that should take care of that. So I was kinda like why not. I have a buddy who had a Nova that was quite literally the Chevy version of my build. He ran an 8" 5500 stall and he said it acted no different around town than the 3000 stall he had in it. He drove it to the track and back home and no issues all the time. He said the trans oil temps NEVER got hot even in the midst of summer. I've even been told the exact same thing from the converter companies when I talked to them and their experiences with 8" converters on the street. Can't hardly tell the difference between a 10" and an 8" except when you put the pedal down. Here's mine

I hear ya. I am sure it will kick some serious *** without a doubt!

Thanks for the help guys. I am leaning on the 9" being mostly street driven. I will probably go with TCS and keep the costs down being their in Canada.

-
Back