Which Dampener are you guys using?

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Im getting the feeling that my Summit OEM Balancer is past its limit with a 450-480hp 360. The one I have is internally balanced. If I get a new one do I have to re-balance it? Also which are you guys using?

I've been using the Pioneer SFI 872037 on my race 360's for years without any problems. Summit has them for a reasonable price. (Disregard the pic on the Summit site because they used a generic photo for that part.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-872037/?rtype=10

If your engine is definitely internally balanced and the current balancer/damper does not have any counterweight on it, you can simply swap them out.

yours is closer in size to mine...how do I know which ways what?

Engine size doesn't matter. A longer stroke or heavier rods/pistons would simply mean that more weight was added to the crankshaft counterweights to internally balance the rotating assembly. The "neutral" balanced balancer/damper and flexplate should have been left alone.

You could actually use a 318 balancer on your engine if your 360 is internally balanced because 318 are internally balanced also.

As for overall diameter, it doesn't matter as long as it balances out neutral. The actual weight might be different because of the overall size, but it would balance neutral if that's the spplication it's for. But I would prefer to use a diameter close to OEM to help read the timing marks on the timing cover.

so....as long as the motor was internally balanced....and I use a neutral balance dampener...I dont have to change anything because all internal/neutral balancers weigh the same???

Innovators West for pretty much everything serious that I build.

I put one of those Australian dampers on Moparlvr's 340...I'm sure it would be a good choice for your power level...the only problem being that it's a drivers side timing mark deal...
For a $100 it's the cheapest SFI approved damper out there.

so....as long as the motor was internally balanced....and I use a neutral balance dampener...I dont have to change anything because all internal/neutral balancers weigh the same???

Well, yes, they are "balanced" the same - neutral.
The actual overall weight will vary between manufacturers, but that doesn't matter if they are "neutral".

ok now i need to know FORSURE if i need to rebalance or not.

Well, yes, they are "balanced" the same - neutral.
The actual overall weight will vary between manufacturers, but that doesn't matter if they are "neutral".

not what im looking for lol Still want to know if the bottom end needs to be re balanced or not if the motor is already internally balanced.

If the assembly is internally balanced, you need any nuetral harmonic dampener. You do not do anything with you rotating assembly.

No you don't need rebalancing. I like Powerbond, we use them in everything except highend builds.
The SFI runs 165.00 and is black so it's easier to read using a light.
Brian

cool thanks guys! Brian was talking to me about running above 6k so I knew the dampener had to be changed! Not many things left!

i got the pioneer race one from summit highly recomeded by my machinist my 416 is putting out 500 plus hp and torque

what if the weight of the balancer is different...does it then need to be balanced or still no because it is a internal/ neutral balancer ?

what if the weight of the balancer is different...does it then need to be balanced or still no because it is a internal/ neutral balancer ?

The weight of the damper itself is not a factor in this context. As it spins on the crank centerline a neutral balance damper will be neutrally balanced itself. You just choose one that meets your needs regarding budget and quality. I got a 'blem' Super Damper direct from ATI for $200 and I still have no idea where the blemish is that it was rejected for :dontknow:

Look at it this way:

A regular passenger car wheel/tire and a big, heavy 4WD truck wheel/tire are balanced on a machine. The results are the same, which is "neutral" balanced to eliminate vibrations, regardless of what the overall size or weight is.

Fluids are nOt the greatest for cold weather. I used the summit SFI on my 340, motor makes ~425

ah kk, size and weight dont matter as long as neutral balanced for internal. Sorry hard to understand when not speaking in person.

Actually now looking at the summit SFI racing one for 160, but I wont need to re balance if same weight right?
This what I want:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-C4277/

This is what I have: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-163273/?rtype=1

Mine in diam. is: 7.250

and the one I want is :6.610

does this mean the weight is different?

That is the one I have. Only thing is it is hard to see using a timing light but how often do you set the timing? got mine around 34 degrees and forgot about it

-
Back