Which heads wpuld be better?

-

70Swinger

Reaction score
Which heads would be better on my 318 which is going to be street/strip engine. 360 heads or "302" heads? or any others?

Thnx Adam

This answer may very well depend on HP output level sought and/or drag strip time sought. While the 360 head isn't a bad idea, the larger head chamber cc area could cause a big loose of compresion which is the major problem in there use.
Let me (us) ask you, about your intended engine build of the car. tranny and rear ratio included.
Read this post as well pertain to heads as it is devleoping well.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=7480

well i was thinking, i would want my 1/4 mile time around low to mid 12's, so i was thinknig around 400hp, and a fair bit of weight reductions. for the gearing ratio i want 4.56's, and posi, dont really no alot about tranny's lol >_<. any thing else u would like to ask me?

WOW! 4.56's are steep.
You could do it with less gear, depending.
In this case of 12's, the 360 heads will do.

ahah 3.91's better?
wut yr of 360 head should i look for?
and wut all do i have to do to them?
sorry kinda new to all this stuff lol

New to it all? No problem. Lots of good fellas here.

I like the early X, J or O heads with a set of 2.02-1.60 valves.
In stock form, they should be able to run the time. If there in need of work when you get them, a set off stainless steel valves with at least a 3 angle valve seat cut. Some pocket porting should be all thats needed and for surely put you in the 12's with less cam than stock heads.
3.91 should be a lot better for the cruise. 4.30's would be my personal choice. The 4.56 would need a tall tire. Probably around 28 inchs high. And need a lose converter to get max bennifit from the combo.
I think you'll end up with a great looking rake with that set up. (Tall tire)
Build a zero decked engine or close to it to run pump gas with the open chambered head.

wut yrs of 360 heads were X, J, or O. uhh do they make 4.30's for an "741" 8 3/4? might have to run to a junk yard one of these days see if i can find a pair of these heads.

I believe they ran till '74 or 75. The letters are cast next to the spark plug holes. Check E-bay (Not a fav spot) and swap meets for the letter heads. If your lucky enuff to have a wrecking yard with old cars, your probably in luck.
A search at randys ring and pinion, summit or jegs can turn up a list of ratios.
Don't stop me from you running 4.56 gears. It sounded so familuar (sp) I had to look into the MoPar Performance catolog to satify myself. The 318 12 second package in the tips section suggested 4.56's.

ohh yea and i ment to ask wut makes the 360 heads better then the 302's? and wut would be a good cam to go with these heads? ill see wut i can do for gear ratios lol.

302's are small valve, small runner 318 heads that have limited potential in terms of airflow. You could port thme out to 360 size heads and add big valves or start there with a 360 head. Many times I see posts where people have gone through several sets of cracked ones and can not find them uncracked.
There chamber is better though.

ohh, so wut would be a good cam for a street/strip car with 360 heads?
yea thats why i was orginally going to go with 302 heads cuz of more compression, but by the sounds of it 360 heads are better.

thnx for all the help.

A good cam suggestion depends on the weight, gear and tranny being used, and the engines size and comp. ratio. Also if the heads are ported or not. Since were not there yet........
I can recomend a cam like a MoPar Hyd. 292 /.509 lift. It would do the job. Then someone else would give there 2 cents and so on and so on and so on.
You can call someone for a custom grind without paying big money. Scott Brown of straight line performance is a fav I see, Racer Brown is another. Or if a major company is more your style, Comp or Crane can do it for you as well.
You'll just need to know all the above before asking.

I think a 318 is going to need to be spun pretty high to go low 12s in wich case the 4.56s will be needed.

Your welcome. What are the plans? How far in the works are you now?

Why not chunk the 318 and put a 360 in there? A friend of mine has a 72 Duster full interior 360 "J" heads + aluminum intake + 750 Holley + 292/.509 cam + 1 5/8 headers + auto/2500 stall conv.+ 3:91 gears = 12.58 sec. 1/4 mile
Glad to see you chose the right brand...70 Swinger.

Chevy kids
Ford boys
Mopar Men
When Mopar Performance used to be Direct Connection they used to sell a really cool shirt that read: Mr. DC says"Real men drive Mopar". Wish I still had one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
68 Dart 2 dr. ht. 318/auto soon to be 360/4 speed....68 Dart 2 dr sedan 440/auto/4:10's....74 gremlin 360 (Mopar not AMC)/auto/8 1/4 rear w/3:92's (a Mopar in Gremlin's clothing...lol.)

Another possibility is using Magnum heads from a newer 5.9. Running a zero-deck with these heads, I understand, takes advantage of the heart shaped chamber for quench. You'd have to use different pushrods and a magnum intake(mopar makes sinagle and dual plane and edelbrock makes a air gap intake for it) but that's about it. Oh yeah and the valvetrain which doesn't seem very expensive. I'm planning on taking this route with my 360 build. Maybe others who have used this setup can comment further...

-Alex

rumblefish360 said:
Your welcome. What are the plans? How far in the works are you now?

acctually im just in the planning stage lol, see wut kind of advice i get cuz im new to all this so i need al the help i can get, and i want to learn as much i can about it. So that maybe one day i could be the one giving advice for once ahah, i have a while yet. im gonig to need a new case thats for sure they dont sell any gear ratios on summit for a "741" case 8 3/4. I was orginally just going to go with the build up out of mopar muscle magazine but after i read more into it, it doesnt sound all that great. i want a 318 that i can race and be a street cruiser and survive.

Orionsax7 said:
Another possibility is using Magnum heads from a newer 5.9. Running a zero-deck with these heads, I understand, takes advantage of the heart shaped chamber for quench. You'd have to use different pushrods and a magnum intake(mopar makes sinagle and dual plane and edelbrock makes a air gap intake for it) but that's about it. Oh yeah and the valvetrain which doesn't seem very expensive. I'm planning on taking this route with my 360 build. Maybe others who have used this setup can comment further...

-Alex

these magnum heads are they wut alot of ppl refer to as swirl heads? and how big are the valves in this heads? and they will have better compression then the older 360 heads?

Thnx for the help guys i need as much as i can get.

I was orginally just going to go with the build up out of mopar muscle magazine but after i read more into it, it doesnt sound all that great. i want a 318 that i can race and be a street cruiser and survive.
I don't know what build your refering to. The 400 hp 318? It's a doable thing. IMO, a way to help this do double duty is a overdrive tranny. The 904 was given an addition to it's tail section and then called the 500. (A-500)
It is a little harder to install due to the larger rear section. According to those that have done it, a hammer to the rear side of the tunnel clears the way.
these magnum heads are they wut alot of ppl refer to as swirl heads? and how big are the valves in this heads? and they will have better compression then the older 360 heads?
Hum, I do not know for sure if they have the swirl tech built into them. The early 302's have it. The valves in the head are 1.94 or is it 1.92 intake and 1.65 exhaust. They should have a smaller cc chamber, but exactly the cc it has I forget. It should up the ratio easy.

Anybody out there remember the int. valve size and head cc amount?

The thing about Magnum heads are the rocker ratio is a 1.6 instead of a 1.5.
The valve train is held in by puny 5/16 threaded bolts, er studs like a Chevy. They can be upgraded to 3/8.

Read this when you have the time to help clear up some issues about the Magnum head. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=1924

Ahhh, thanks. I was starting to become concerned about my memory.

no problem, i read the forum about that build up and the one they had in "hotrod magazine", and by the sounds of it they dont sound like very healthy build ups.

Ha ha ha I was out looking around and found this. http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_junk/index2.html
I would say that if you performed a sound short block rebuild, then the rest of the copy should be fine. There not really potent as in inducing heavy stress to the internals but then again, beating on a stock engine everyday will show shortcomings.
Weather it's the Comp Magnum 280 cam or the XE268, it should prove itself very nice to drive in the street.

-
Back