Which ignition system to use?

-
Had the mopar performance distributor. Nothing but ping and low performance. Then went to fbo distributor and mopar chrome box and wow what a difference! No ping performance everywhere in the operating range of spirited street driving.

i like the idea of a stock recurved dist or a fbo dist set up to your combo and an HEI module set up.. simple and easy to get parts for is stranded somewhere.. also eliminates the ballast and all the wires going to the stock ecu so it cleans things up some..

the fbo/hei is whats going in my d100.. putting a msd RTR dist in the dart only because i got it for a good price and its so easy to tune. i'll always carry an extra module for that dist with me too just in case..

the fbo/hei is whats going in my d100.. i'll always carry an extra module for that dist with me too just in case..
^^^ The above is very good advice for the OP with his engine and planned use, IMHO. Quality, reliable, and a good a spark as you will get.

Had the mopar performance distributor. Nothing but ping and low performance. Then went to fbo distributor and mopar chrome box and wow what a difference! No ping performance everywhere in the operating range of spirited street driving.

Operator error. To much advance.

When I bought my MP dizzy it did the same thing, the 2 very light springs that come with it will do that. Bought a Mallory advance kit, set up my dizzy, no more pinging. Been on the car for 15 years.

Fbo for me. And having said that, a few of my friends have converted to that ignition as well.
Just set up your distributed right

As a curmudgeon electronic engineer, I love relying upon the factory 1966 design that uses points.
Points open , magnetic field collapses and expresses as strong impulse in secondary circuit and fires through distributor position.
No fudging in a processor.
Pick your springs, set your mechanical advance limit, tune your vacuum adv.

I far prefer an ignition system that obeys only the laws of physics.

I'm OK with semiconductors, but really love my Frankenstein age ignition and voltage regulator that permits adjustment, yet provides endless effective fiddling and insight into the beauty and function of the dancing arc in the voltage regulator.

Much rather have things you can take care of, but HAVE to, than be told something is maintenance free, but can't be adjusted or repaired, either.

MSD RTR ....with a Pertronix 0.6 ohm coil no BR...
For me... perfect... easy to tune... just a little expensive
Greetings Juergen

Still haven't made my mind up yet.... But leaning towards FBO's whole set up

If you decide to go MSD, I have a 6A box, MSD coil and MSD rev control box. $175 shipped. You can use it with a stock electronic dist.

I would look online and buy a used Mallory 6 and be done. Not a big fan of the FBO stuff.

MSD is a crap shoot.

Make sure the Mallory box LOOKS like Mallory box and not an MSD and youll be good to go.

If you are still using points and dont think you are giving up HP you either have a low output engine or something is wrong. Most points sytems hit the 350 HP point and thats all they are good for.

Then how about the classic hei?

We not only build and sell one of the best, most reliable, easy to get parts for without having to order anything ignition systems on the planet but also sell the advance modded electronic distributor with it as a set.
OEM caps and rotors fit it, and they are super easy to install and come with the FBO max timing limit plate installed as well as adjustable vacuum advance.

Conversation me about it if you would like.
I'm sure a few that have my ignition system in their cars will chime in here and there if you would like to wait for other opinions.

I'm sure a few that have my ignition system in their cars will chime in here and there if you would like to wait for other opinions.

I'll be the first. I've had TrailBeast's system for maybe almost a year. I absolutely love it. The simplicity makes it great. It's about the best I've seen for the money for a street car, hipo or stock. And I'm not exactly new to MOPAR's by no means.

Russ.

Its good to be lucky.

Really..next time your at the track take a look under the hood of the guys that are serious racers you'll find 9 out of 10 using an MSD system including the professional classes..

Well decided with Greg's classic HEI, just wasn't persuaded to any other brand/style. Greg did a good job describing and explaining his product. So now we'll see.
Thanks for everyone's posts and thoughts

I always use a stock electronic distributor recurved, welded slots to limit my curve. Design2drive.com adapter plate for a stock HEI module and a pertronix coil. Modules can be found at any auto store. I did this on my bone stock 87 Ramcharger and picked up just over 2 mpg over the factory lean burn system. My $.02

I always use a stock electronic distributor recurved, welded slots to limit my curve. Design2drive.com adapter plate for a stock HEI module and a pertronix coil. Modules can be found at any auto store. I did this on my bone stock 87 Ramcharger and picked up just over 2 mpg over the factory lean burn system. My $.02

That's pretty much exactly what our kits are, except we use the FBO limit plate, the Mr. Gasket 925B recurve spring kit and the OEM HEI coil and 8 pin module with weatherpack connected wiring instead of exposed blade connections.
Our kits are also capable of controlling EFI and timing for boost or NOS.
The 4 pin modules that the designed to drive system uses cannot.

-
Back