Which intake? EFI

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
Which intake would be best to use on my 5.7? I intended to keep EFI and it's a truck motor. Do the truck and car intakes swap or do they interfere? How's hood clearance with the intake you recommend?

You cannot swap the car and truck intakes without swapping the front timing cover.

That's what I was thinking... How do the intakes compare though as far as flow is concerned? I prefer the car intake because it looks better, but if it does not preform better I don't have enough of a reason to swap everything

If you look at all the engine ratings for the stock vehicles I don't think there's too much difference. Granted that's factoring in the exhaust manifolds too. I think the car intake would probably make for better hood clearance since you don't have the throttle body on top. I remember seeing some place that sells spacers so you can run the car setup on the truck cover. The main issue was the throttle body hit the truck cover, so you had to raise the intake some to clear, so you might run into clearance issues if you have to raise it up. On a side note, do you make it to any of the Kansas Mopar club stuff? You can take a look at my setup if you get the chance. I'll probably try to make the Topeka club tomorrow if the weather holds. The Kansas City club meets Saturday, so I might make it to that one too.

If you look at all the engine ratings for the stock vehicles I don't think there's too much difference. Granted that's factoring in the exhaust manifolds too. I think the car intake would probably make for better hood clearance since you don't have the throttle body on top. I remember seeing some place that sells spacers so you can run the car setup on the truck cover. The main issue was the throttle body hit the truck cover, so you had to raise the intake some to clear, so you might run into clearance issues if you have to raise it up. On a side note, do you make it to any of the Kansas Mopar club stuff? You can take a look at my setup if you get the chance. I'll probably try to make the Topeka club tomorrow if the weather holds. The Kansas City club meets Saturday, so I might make it to that one too.

Unfortunately with they way everything has lined up lately, I haven't had much free time. I've been trying to make it to one of the meets at Set em up jacks but have been unsuccessful thus far... maybe next month. Tomorrow will be a long day for me, as will Saturday. However, I would love to see the swap up close and personal.

Do you remember where you saw the spacers?

Well, a quick search brought me these http://www.shophemi.com/p-2039-crank-this-performance-2005-2008-57l-hemi-heads-manifold-spacers.aspx. I guess they're not quite what I was thinking they were, but they could possibly work. I think you'd probably need a truck cover and car intake in hand to see how far off things are. I actually still have the car intake I pulled from my engine for the carb conversion. I could let you borrow it to see if you can make it work and if it does we could work out a price. If you want to meet up sometime besides a show shoot me a PM and we could come up with a time and a place.

Wow those spacers are expensive!
I think I'll definitely take you up on that at some point in the near future.

5.7 Hemi on FBBO machined up his own spacers, if memory serves, they need to be 1.5" thick.

Ouch, I didn't think they were that bad. I guess you'd get some more torque with extra runner length, lol.

I still have the program for the spacers and going 1.5 inches tall only raises the tb off the timing cover 1/4 inch. And yes, the extra runner length will help out in the torque department, and another plus is you can hide the nos nozzeles, and have an "air gap" manifold. I would post some pics here but fabo can handle the size of my pics like fbbo.

I don't have much to add but the truck manifold fits under a stock hood on my 75 duster. Never really looked to see by how much though. Also inertia motorsports sells a kit to use the truck timing cover bit you do have to mill it a little. To make the car manifold work. Just a thought.

I didlook into those, but the cost for what it is and what you need to do was too much for me. My total cost for the billet aluminum was 70 bucks, and 6 hours of my time after work on the cnc. I realize most people dont have access to a cnc so there is cost to get them cnc'd but this has worked for me so if someone needs or wants the program send me a pm.

wow, those spacers would be great for a carbed engine too. I have a good machine shop here so sending the program would be great. Did you use some kind of special material? You can send it to me by e-mail, no reason to hide the address: [email protected]

Thanks!!

I'm sorry that I was not more clear on the program thing. My friend and I spent alot of time making the program and I cant just give it away, so if someone wants a copy of it it will have to be purchased. This sounds harsher than I mean it to be, but NO ONE gives out their hard work for nothing, just look at yourself going to work everyday and the paycheck you get for doing the work.

So no real after market options?

How much would you want for a set of spacers?

I'm sorry that I was not more clear on the program thing. My friend and I spent alot of time making the program and I cant just give it away, so if someone wants a copy of it it will have to be purchased. This sounds harsher than I mean it to be, but NO ONE gives out their hard work for nothing, just look at yourself going to work everyday and the paycheck you get for doing the work.
I mighthave you confused with someone else but arnt you on az? If so wanna make me a set and how much?

I would need to talk with my buddy that helped do the programming and setup on the cnc to see what he thinks is a fair price.

I'm from Ca., not AZ.

I dont mind making a few sets but I'm sure there would need to be a minimun, I'll find out and post as soon as I know some info.

So no real after market options?

Technically you can get the Indy Mod Man set up for injection. It has the bosses for injectors cast into the manifold. Indy wants a pretty crazy price to drill them (I think it was like, $500 or more for the base alone with no top plate when drilled as opposed to $400 for an undrilled intake with top plate). You'd then either have to put a fuel injection hood and throttle body on or a carb style throttle body on a standard 4 hole top plate.

Got some costs for the spacers...here we go!!

1. I would need to make 15 sets and no less
2. 25% down
3. 300 bucks per set
4. This is high, and I offer no excuse other than this is what the owner of the place I work at has come up with. He did say if we could get 20 sets done (40 pieces total) the cost would come down.

Not the greatest news but it can be done.....any takers?

With no performance gain with the car intake, count me out. To me, the aesthetics aren't worth 300$

You get more torque with the longer runners and more air volume, so there is a performance gain, but as stated the price is high.

-
Back