which intake should i use?

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
so i'm installing a new big mutha thumpr in my 360 with worked 302 heads, 727/3000 stall,355s, 72 demon,yes i know it may be a tad too big of a cam, don't care. i have 4 intakes at my disposal, edelbrock streetmaster, ld4b, rpm air gap,holley street dominator with a hvh super sucker 1'' 4 hole spacer, any thoughts on best route to go? i know the streetmaster is out of the question

Street car, street/strip or strip only? Autocross?

Air Gap. It would be about the same as the SD or LD4B. But if you upgrade heads later on, that part won’t have to be upgraded.

If you're gonna stick with the 302 heads on a 360, My vote would be the LD4B or Street Dominator. They'll match the smaller port size on the 302s. Small ports and long 360 stroke means velocity in the ports rather than volume, which lends itself to low speed torque. You're gonna hate that cam in that motor, but "you know that, and don't care". Then why do you care about the manifold? If all you're after is the sound and the looks, put the Air Gap on with the 1" Super Sucker on it. That'll be impressive.

I'd keep the Air Gap and sell all the other intakes and 302 heads and buy a set of SpeedMaster heads when they go on Black Friday sale. The rest of you combo would be much better matched then.

Air Gap and sell the rest including the 302 heads. Roll the money over into a real set of heads.

I thought the 302 heads had the smaller (318) ports , and the 308 castings were the larger ports (340-360)???

Sell the heads and cam, get a set of anything else heads and a cam that’ll compliment the cubes, heads, stall, gear and weight of car. And run the Air Gap. Dabble with the Super sucker afterwards

will not sell 302 heads, theyve been professionally done with bigger valves, just playing around, not too concerned with et at this time, i spent 600 on a bullet custom grind, what a joke. the sd is already port matched to heads and does surprisingly well, air gap produced the most power with the 284/484 i had though. ihave a set of 308s that will hit the shop this winter. also have access to rebuilt xheads for 1000,not sure though, thanks for the input

Doesn't sound like a whole lot of thought is going into this build. Lots of mismatched parts.
Like Crackedback likes to say, "Your parts, your money".

I'm not sure what went wrong with the bullet cam ?
They make great cams that make great power.

Stock 302s flow about 170 cfm, if "worked" and bigger valves- I'll be nice and give you 190. Stock 308s flow around 215, and potentially a lot more.
That cam is listed for 2,500-6,400 rpm, a 360 trying to breathe through those heads would be done by 5K, my guess. That leaves you an operating range of 2,500 rpm... a 3K convertor is right at the bottom of your cam's range, more would be better, like the guys said, that cam will need it. But even a 3,500 stall only leaves you only about a 1,500 rpm range to play in before the heads fall flat.
Those 302s would be great on a smaller motor, but a 360 with that cam? The whole setup is out of whack.
Any of those manifolds, except MAYBE the Streetmaster, would be fine. The Air Gap is probably overkill, since you'll never flow enough to take advantage of it.

maybe that streetmaster port matched and hoggedwith a 2'' open spacer out may surprise me!lol
And not in a good way. The runners in a streetmaster reverse taper from the intake ports to the plenum instead of from the plenum to the intake port.
just my $.02
If you’re dead set on the combination use the LD4B without a port match. Leaving a little bit of a step from the intake into the port will help help reduce low rpm reversion with the 109 LSA. (Actually 107 degree LSA, I didn't bother to look at the specs... Thanks QuickDart360!)

Last edited:
i'm not looking to build a killer combo, like i said, i don't care , just playing around. i get bored very easy and like to change things up, once again, thanks for the input. next plan is to build a 408 with 308s or xheads, with this cam already broken in. Please don't recommend aluminum heads , i'm in my 60s, i'll do it old school.

Well it would appear you want to spend more money to not make as much power.
That's cool keep it old school .

so i'm installing a new big mutha thumpr in my 360 with worked 302 heads, 727/3000 stall,355s, 72 demon,yes i know it may be a tad too big of a cam, don't care. i have 4 intakes at my disposal, edelbrock streetmaster, ld4b, rpm air gap,holley street dominator with a hvh super sucker 1'' 4 hole spacer, any thoughts on best route to go? i know the streetmaster is out of the question
Port match the AirGap and use it.
The cam you picked will be the problem, but you dont care, good luck with that.
Make sure to open a new thread when you swap out the cam.

-
Back