Which intake to use on 408?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We're getting to the portion of my 408 build where I need to decide what intake I'm going to run. I had originally planned on running the Air Gap that's on the car now. Unfortunately, that we would mean removing my car from service for the rest of the summer while we continue the build. I would like to keep the car running so I can continue driving it to cruise nights etc.

I figure since I'm not married to the Air Gap now, there might be a better intake to run on the stroker. It is a street car that is used for shows, cruising and when the stroker is complete, scaring the crap out of unsuspecting passengers.

I'm running a 800 cfm Edelbrock carb, Comp XR292HR-10 cam, Edelbrock heads (just lightly cleaned up) and TTI headers. I was thinking about using an Edelbrock Victor or Super Victor intake. What do you all think is a good intake for this combo?

Get another RPM. Neither the Victor or the SV are really good candidates for what you use the car for. Also if you can find a Weiand X-celerator --don't discount that one if you must have a single plane. J.Rob

Air-gap, it fits your combo better than the Victor or SV. For what its worth, my pump gas stroker has run 10.8's with an Air-gap intake on a similar combo.

Air-gap, it fits your combo better than the Victor or SV. For what its worth, my pump gas stroker has run 10.8's with an Air-gap intake on a similar combo.

Haven't you run a single plane intake on your car & combo before?

Haven't you run a single plane intake on your car & combo before?

Yes, I currently have a Victor on it. The Vic gives a little better MPH, but it lacks in torque (in comparison to the Air-gap). For a more street oriented car, I would go with more torque.

I'm actually going to put my Air-gap back on later this year for a little tuning experiment with my Caltracs.

Edit: Just for clarification, with the Vic intake the car still makes enough torque to pull the front wheels off the ground...so it's not like it would be lethargic. I'm just talking about a few hundredths of a second difference in 60' times.

I would pick up a used intake, swap it on the car to keep it running, and use the air gap for the 408.

That's an idea. I just sold a LD4B Edelbrock about a month ago...

I have some things like pulleys and alternator brackets that I want to get straightened out before the new engine goes in anyway. Guess I'll start gathering other parts on the cheap.

I do that all the time, sell something than need it the next week.

Well, three hours and 150 miles later, I picked up this used Edlebrock Performer for $100 off of Craigslist. It should work for the rest of the summer while I get the stroker motor completed. After I pull the old engine, I'll sell the intake and the 600 cfm Edlebrock carb that's on there now, and hopefully get some of my money back.

20130620_201003_zps1d0db017.jpg

$100.00 you sould be able to sell that when you are done, and get your money out of it with no problem.

-
Back