Which K-member to use? Pros/Cons

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
Since things have slowed and jobs are few and far between, I decided to start on my 68 Barracuda. I was going to pull the engine/trans and work on the front suspension. I was wondering which k-member would be better to use, the stock 67-72 type or the 73 up spool type.

Any opinions, thoughts, or pros/cons anyone have on the subject? I already have a spool type sitting on the side so I wouldn't have to purchase either one. The car will be mainly for having fun on ther streets and will be built more for handling. I'll be welding and strengthening whichever I end up using. Also thinking about using Johns (Badart) parts, if the budget permits. Drivetrain will be a sb/auto/8.75 with backbrace. I have a lbp front brake set up so the sbp KH set up will be replaced.

The spool members us a far superior engine mount

I don't know about the Barracudas, but my original 67 has a "one year only" idler arm setup which is more expensive, and poorly mounted.

Another benefit of the spool type is the swaybar mounted through the k-frame instead of on the outside.

I'd use the spool mount. You can use either early or late sway bar types with the late "K", but you might have to drill the mounting holes for the early.

My brother and I used a '73 spool mount K-member in his '71 Dart and my '71 Duster. Amazing how "tight" the engine is bolted down. Doesn't "jiggle" when running. I used polyurethane inserts too.

-
Back