Which K member?

-
Depends on the year of the car.. 67-72 used the same style mount (biscuit) setup, and 73-76 used a spool mount - to me using a spool mount K is more work than it's worth.. I would swap to the earlier K - be it stock or aftermarket (I went from a slant K member to a QA1 small block based K member)

No do not need to change K member if 67-72 - just need SB to BB swap mounts, mount shims, and a torque strap

Trans-dapt mounts are $60 - still need shims below
Summit fox mustang torque strap for aftermarket K members works after making a 2" longer metal tab to mount to the motor mount tab on the engine($60)
Schumacher mounts are $160, shims $45, and torque strap for stock K is $120
Stock buscuit style K probably get for $50 I'd imagine
QA1 K memeber for stock suspension $587

Spool mount requires cutting and moving the frame mounts to line up with the BB..

OR a motor and mid plate if you like to party LOL

No matter which k-member you use there will be some cutting and possibly some drilling. Some choices will also require welding. In the days before there were k-members available from the dealer (about 1976) people either got the hard to find (today) factory big block parts OR made their own mounts. There are more options today, but I prefer to build copies of the old Direct Connection k-member (uses a 73-76 small block k-member).

So...which would be the easiest way to do this? Can I buy the mounts, shims and torque strap without having to do the cutting or drilling. And where's a good place to get everything from? Thank you everyone for the help.

I would highly recommend using the 73 and newer K. The 72 and older biscuit style leaves much to be desired.

So...which would be the easiest way to do this? Can I buy the mounts, shims and torque strap without having to do the cutting or drilling. And where's a good place to get everything from? Thank you everyone for the help.

No, there will be cutting and possibly drilling with any swap mount...

stock K members require cutting/welding a relief for the oil pump.. Schumacher covers this in the swap motor mounts they sell..

My QA1 came notched for the pump, I just ground the weld flat and repainted the spot.. no cutting or welding required..

Easiest would be to beg Jim lusk to build you one.

I've got one in the shop right now. It's also getting some special internal stiffening for the LCA pin tubes and other reinforcements. Should be done in a few weeks...but won't exactly be cheap...

I would highly recommend an Alterktion lol. Just kidding! ;)

This is the ultimate solution to all of your header/engine/steering/braking/handing/appearance issues. I love my alterKation.

stock K members require cutting/welding a relief for the oil pump.. Schumacher covers this in the swap motor mounts they sell..

My QA1 came notched for the pump, I just ground the weld flat and repainted the spot.. no cutting or welding required..

I'd go QA1 if I wanted to save some money and was willing to put up with torsion bars.

Do the schumacher mounts work with the qa1 k member
For BB/RB swap purposes?

Mild threadjack, apologies.

According to QA1, yes.

Do the schumacher mounts work with the qa1 k member
For BB/RB swap purposes?

Mild threadjack, apologies.
Sure do.. well I have the Trans-Dapt but they are essentially the same.. the QA1 K member is small block based, just need small block to big block swap mounts and shims

Later K Member with Schumacher Swap Kit. Ease of install, serviceable starter with header's still on. Simple, efficient, cost proven.
tpg

I'm working on a 68 barracuda that had a 340 originally and I'm going to a 383. Would the Schumacher mounts work without cutting or drilling?

Later K Member with Schumacher Swap Kit. Ease of install, serviceable starter with header's still on. Simple, efficient, cost proven.
tpg
I like that paintguy...easy, serviceable, cost efficient. Where do I get them from and will they work on a 68 barracuda?

schumaker for 67-72 A body, going from slant k or SB k to BB, $ 159 = 18 shipping, its the biscuit style, make your own torque starp like people have been doing for decades. plin chaim or turnbuckle, like sioad, that part can be pretty darn simple, or if you got plenty of gas in your a**, buy a 67-72 SB v 8 k for $25-50, and change it over! ???/ seems to me.....

When putting a 383 in place of a 340, do I need to change the K member?

I have a set of the SB to BB engine brackets if you're interested. These are new in the box. (These are for the later style K frame though so might not be what the OP needs)

Attachments

• SB-BB.jpg.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 412
-
Back