which master cylinder

-

mad dog

Reaction score
hi guys, i need some advice concerning my resto on my 70 Duster 340. it has the 4 piston kelsey hayes disc up front and drum in the rear per factory. can anyone reccomend a master cylinder that would be correct for my car and where to purchase it. im getting confused looking at these brake parts, oh yeah they are manual brakes. any help would be appreciated....thanks RICH

Try RockAuto.com.

This is what they show:
A-1 CARDONE Part # 101326M Reman. w/ Reservoir
Front Disc brakes; Rear Drum brakes; Manual brakes (Only 9 Remaining)
Part $21.99 Core $20.00 $41.99

However, the photo associated with this listing is wrong (probably a generic photo). The correct-looking photo is shown for the power brake MC (see below). The manual and power disc brake MCs are externally identical.

Attachments

• getimage.php.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 376
Yes the picture is correct but what they send you will not be, at least in my case.
The picture shows disc/drum master, what I kept getting (ordering the P# for the disc/Drum master) was the master that had equal front /rear reservoirs or drum/drum. I have a 67 Barracuda with the same as your duster and searched all over for the correct unit, tough find.
Yes they say use it, and it may work but not correct or looks correct. Disc/drum should look just as the picture you see. Small/large reservoirs. They sent me 4 times the wrong one until finally it was admitted they did not have what I wanted. In the end the guy sent the correct one say it was the last re-man he had, for the trouble he said keep the others as It wasn't worth the shipping return. (Can to US) So, I have 3 of the others if you wanna try? The picture above can be power or manual operation and is correct for what you seek as far as I am concerned. but the picture is not what you will get as I found out. Best to ask them.....
Try The right Stuff. They have a good catalogue and are helpful.

Yes the picture is correct but what they send you will not be, at least in my case.
The picture shows disc/drum master, what I kept getting (ordering the P# for the disc/Drum master) was the master that had equal front /rear reservoirs or drum/drum. I have a 67 Barracuda with the same as your duster and searched all over for the correct unit, tough find.
Yes they say use it, and it may work but not correct or looks correct. Disc/drum should look just as the picture you see. Small/large reservoirs. They sent me 4 times the wrong one until finally it was admitted they did not have what I wanted. In the end the guy sent the correct one say it was the last re-man he had, for the trouble he said keep the others as It wasn't worth the shipping return. (Can to US) So, I have 3 of the others if you wanna try? The picture above can be power or manual operation and is correct for what you seek as far as I am concerned. but the picture is not what you will get as I found out. Best to ask them.....
Try The right Stuff. They have a good catalogue and are helpful.

Agreed... This is not what you will get most likely. I suggest this one.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/master-cyli...orts-deep-piston-hole-mc11571p-m?filter_name=

Also I have one the MP masters it is new and unused but the body has been sprayed in Eastwoods stainless steel epoxy (Good thing). $75.00 plus shipping.

gentleman, thank you for the advice. i will follow up on those leads.

Here's the M/C I've been recommending, and using for the last few years,, it 's 15/16 bore, for less pedal effort, and better feel..

Rock Auto has them..

RAYBESTOS Part # MC36406 More Info {Professional Grade; Bore Size=15/16" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=9/16x20 Secondary Outlet Size=1/2x20}
Front Disc Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes;

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...117&cc=1088760

hope it helps..

They say the application is 73-5 a body but don't give much description beyond that for the 36406. The Bendix 11571 claims to be for 73-5 with power brakes. Too bad i don't deliver up near the warehouse anymore. The tech guys were very helpful when I was looking for small bolt disc's and drums that they still make.

They say the application is 73-5 a body but don't give much description beyond that for the 36406. The Bendix 11571 claims to be for 73-5 with power brakes. Too bad i don't deliver up near the warehouse anymore. The tech guys were very helpful when I was looking for small bolt disc's and drums that they still make.

The description I pasted tells all there is to know..

It's for disc/drum, so it doesn't have a residual pressure valve in the disc circuit,, it'll have a larger reservoir for "disc".. the port sizes and thread are mopar,, and the bore size tells what kind of "mechanical advantage" you can expect..

hope it helps..

forgive my dumb questions please but is that 1"bore the size of the hole in the back of the m/c?

forgive my dumb questions please but is that 1"bore the size of the hole in the back of the m/c?

Yes. From the factory, 15/16" was the size used for power brakes. 1-1/16" was the size for manual brakes. But a lot of people who run manual prefer the 15/16 because it doesn't require the massive pedal pressure that the larger one does. 1" would be close enough for either one, really, but the 1" MC they are trying to sell you is probably the drum/drum version with the bolt-on cap.

It might help your search to look under Dart (for some reason, the catalogs are more complete for Dodge than they are for Plymouth -- as you noticed, they don't seem to think that Plymouths ever had disc brakes). B-bodies also used the same MC, but they used several different bore sizes, so you would need to confirm the size.

thanks max, i looked at the raybestos mc 36406, description says 73 and up. will that work for my application, i have manual brakes and mine is a 70

sedanman,thank you for the info, you have been helpful. i think i need to do some home work on this issue and some reading. thanks for all your help

Being manual or power is not important as long as it bolts up and has the right physical dimensions and attributes. Inertia has listed this because it does indeed work for a manual system. You will have to pull the pedal rod out of the present MC and install it in any new one that you get.

The 15/16" is the size of the pistons inside of the MC that you are pushing on with the brake pedal. With a smaller bore diameter, you will get more force at the brakes themselves with the same pedal pressure. It will also require a longer pedal stroke to compensate, but that seems to still be an acceptable amount or pedal travel. (Think of it like a lever, where you can exert more force by moving the lever but have to move the lever further.)

Dr Diff has the aluminum masters in the 15/16 bore size. I put one on my car with the k/h setup and the brakes are better than when it had power brakes.

Hey bob,does it have the notch inside the piston for manual brakes?

Hey bob,does it have the notch inside the piston for manual brakes?

Yep, the manual master has the pushrod recess. It also came with a four bolt to two bolt adapter and a pushrod locking collar, but you will need a adjustable pushrod to get to be at the right pedal height. I think my master was $107.00 with shipping.

I went through this with my 67's. The one normally listed looks nothing like the factory one which uses a center bolt on lid instead of the clip-on that is listed as the replacement. I work in parts and the books in fact they had a couple different ones listed in reman but only one listed for new.

The one I use on mine is the standard one for drum/ drum brakes. Which is identical to the factory disc/drum master in every dimension. I think they give the alt disc/drum type because it has higher fluid capacity, which would be preferred for disc brakes. I have used the other for a couple years now and have had no issues with it.

I ordered the one that MVH told you about from Rock auto and the same # and it works great.

-
Back