Which Mopar engines breathe well enough to make use of 7000+ RPM?

-
Don't forget anything with a rod to stroke ratio of 1.75 or bigger will like to rev. Even a 440.

Connecting Rod vs. Stroke Analysis: panic Tech Paper No. 1

That's a really interesting article. It doesn't, however, point out the inherent difficulty of revving a large cid motor. A larger motor will have a longer stroke than a small one with the same ratio, which will of course result in higher piston speeds at a given rpm. Combine that with the heavier rotating assembly and the larger motor won't want to rev like the small one.

340! good oiling mods, steal crank, forged slugs, a big cam, big valve/big port head ported, free flowing exhaust and good intake n carb! if that dont spin up high or fast nuff for you then put a D-stroked crank in it,like a 3.00 crank in it and shoot for the moon!! my 340 turned 7500 day in and day out 9+ years never an issue! had a 318 that swing 8000 but 1500 miles on it and bearings were toast!

I vote
360 with light-weight hypers and oiling mods. Mine's been spinning 7000/7200 since year 2000. She's got over 100,000miles on her now.
IMO, for a streeter, there's not much point in camming it for that tho . I mean with 3.55s top of 1.92 second gear maths out to 85 mph in my car.
My 367 has only a 230* cam, so peaks at around 5200, with a broad plateau ending at about 55/5600. I just wring it out cuz it happily goes there.
I solved my problem with a 3.09 low Commando box, a GVod, and splitting gears. She now hits 60@6400 in first-over,65@6900. Well it would if it hooked. As it is, I just hold the gas pedal at whatever gets me 7000 for about 5 seconds and change,lol. What a blast!

But you're right, thru dual full length 3 inch pipes; it sounds insane.

She ain't no powerhouse, but did manage to hit 93 in the Eighth. She was my DD for many years.

The only engines I can think of that came out of the factory that would flow at 7000 were the 426 Hemis and the Max Wedges. 383/400 engines would too with a big cam and headers. 340's needed some porting.

I side stepped the couch once after a 6 pack... :p

Seriously though, what kind of clutch were you running that could take that abuse, with tires that hooked? :eek:
It was a soft lock, with a cintured copper disk.

-
Back