Which one to buy?

-

voodoo1

Reaction score
Ok so i'm looking at two cars. First is a '65 Barracuda. Runs, drives decent. has a 318 roller block in it. little cam I think, aluminum intake, stock exhaust, auto. Drum, Drum. 8 1/4 rear. Someone mini tubbed it. It looks good. Has new carpet, really good seats and door panels. It was a slant 6 car originally. Body decently straight, floors are really good. No major body problems, but needs paint, windshield, fix gauges lots of tlc. $2500.

#2 1964 Dart convertible GT. Slant 6. Original motor/trans. Really straight car. It has been repainted red, it was originally black. Buckets, has new carpet. Looks to have absolutely no rust, doesn't appear to be ever wrecked. It was a California car. starts, runs really well. Needs brakes, windshield, repaint, tires. Needs a top. Motor for top works great, up and down no prob. $4000.

My dilemma, which to buy. Money, no prob. I can do all work. Which car to have is the prob. Mike

I guess it all depends on what you're going to do with either of them, I am no one to ask when it comes to cars, I love them all. My personal preference is the Dart and only because it was originally black yet with the work it needs at 4000. it would have to be real straight. In the long run, the Dart would be well worth it..

if I had a gun placed against my temple, I would choose the convertible. Then again I do not like 64 to 66 cuda's. But... that vert needs a lot of work... the big thing is... paint! You could get cheap or break the bank on paint. If you aren't prepared for it... then move along. I've seen a few decent verts between 5 and 7k in my area that were done, all /6, none gt but that doesn't matter so much. I think that windshield will cost a pretty penny to get installed. Think it needs a lock wire, gasket and the glass... expect to pay a couple hundred up to 600. I had some crazy quotes.. I'm waiting until I get mine on the road and a fixit ticket to force to me replace my cracked windshield.

I can do the paint, no problem there. Finding a windshield though. How hard is that?

Mike

I will second the Barracuda. Although don't believe I have seen a convertible with no rust even in California, better check it out by the rear floor boards, rockers, and lower fenders real good.

if u cant live with the current windshield, it may be hard to find for a vert,,,

for me that would be mega easy ....Barracuda.

it takes a more flamboyant personality than me to want a vert. i think a lot of ppl get caught up in the allure of a vert till they drive one .....i had one for a short time and i while i was driving i would think "this is not going to work"

so really only you know if you have the personality for it ...if you do then a vert is a cute thing to have but they are higher maintance.

for me CUDA all the way .....a 65 cuda can be made to look like one heck of a street machine.....the dart vert will never have the muscle appeal as the cuda ...its just cuter.

it takes a more flamboyant personality than me to want a vert. i think a lot of ppl get caught up in the allure of a vert till they drive one .....i had one for a short time and i while i was driving i would think "this is not going to work"

so what was so bad about it? nothing better then cruising top down wind in your air and out in the sun..

so what was so bad about it? nothing better then cruising top down wind in your air and out in the sun..

i didnt mean its a bad thing ...its just not for some ppl ...im more a more reserved personality ...i dont like the open feeling of a vert.....and i didnt like my hair blowing all over and i didnt like the higher maintence of a vert ...but thats me.....just sayin if the OP does not have experience with a vert then i would recommend driving one first to see if its for him.

if someone has the personality for it and its worth it to them to maintain it ...then nothing wrong with that .........its a good thing Ma Mopar made for all kinds. :D

It's very much a personal choice. For those of us that LOVE 64-66 Cuda's it's a pretty easy decision.

I am on the fence on this :coffee2: The barracuda does have a V8 and a stronger and better rear
end already :glasses7: But I have to admit I dig the 64 Dart Body style and having a vert will hold a better value being all stock, being repainted spooks me a bit :eek:ops:

With that said if I was going to build a driver/show car the 64 Dart would be cool to have and sounds like you know what to look for in a paint job :D

This would look very nice with a drop top, I would rather have a manual top
on one if I had a vert, in this case less is more :toothy7:
I am still on the fence but 60 % says 64 dart Vert and 40% says go with the little V8 car made by Plymouth :glasses7:

Attachments

• Blydville drive away cancer 024.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Blydville drive away cancer 025.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 396
This has more to do with your personal preferences - the key question is; do you want a convertible? The Barracuda does sound like a good deal that after paint you'd start enjoying right away. If you want a convertible the Dart sounds good. Any 64 thru 66 Dart, Valiant or Barracuda windshield will work but the rubber seal for convert is different and NOT reproduced. Neither choice is bad so you can't go wrong.

While I do like convertibles, I'd go with the Cuda, with the extra cash you keep can really make the Cuda shine.

Ok I did it. Vert! How do I load pics? Easily. Mike
you'll enjoy the convertible.
it sounds like a nice car.
I got my first one just out of high school wayyyyyyy back when and was hooked on drop tops from then on. I now have 2 66 convertibles and have one of them 80% ready to go! can't wait 66 convertible/6 power top and more.

This has more to do with your personal preferences - the key question is; do you want a convertible? The Barracuda does sound like a good deal that after paint you'd start enjoying right away. If you want a convertible the Dart sounds good. Any 64 thru 66 Dart, Valiant or Barracuda windshield will work but the rubber seal for convert is different and NOT reproduced. Neither choice is bad so you can't go wrong.

ahh BUT you can use the hardtop seal if you (umm cheat) I put some black vinyl on the little bit that was exposed so it wasn't a glaring defect/. black paint would have worked too but I had the vinyl laying around. from what I can remember(it's been 10 years since I did that car) it was the top inside that was not as long as the convertible seal. worked fine and didn't leak.

-
Back