which one would you choose the stock cooling system or a aluminum radiator

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Hey group currently i'm running a aluminum radiator 22" with a hp 180 thermostat and I've also installed air conditioning this year. The problem I'm having is when I run the air conditioner the thing will heat up to 195 and stay there for awhile and than slowly go back down to 180 and it will do this while driving down the highway. I'm also running a shroud with that radiator. When I run the car down the highway without the air running it will run right at 170 to 180 and stay there. My question is should I go back to the stock radiator three row with a shroud and install a oem stat and see if it will stay at a constant temp instead of fluctating up and down on the temps. The motor is freshly down it is a 408 strocker so I know that it is all flushed out. I'm wondering if it is the HP thermostat that is opening and closing when it does that fluctating of the temps. What is your guys thoughts.

Pat Faley
67 Barracuda NB
Peoria IL

what fan are you using ?
A thermal clutch fan or electric fan will cause temp changes.

195 with the AC on is NOT a problem. Your cooling system is working well and normal.

Put your fears out of your mind and go out for a drive.

Again......... You have ZERO problems.

As a matter of fact, if it ran 195 all the time you still wouldn't have a problem.

I dont see a problem here. 195 is cool by most standards with a shrouded mechanical fan. I'd be out cruisin right now without a care in the world.

I have seen that it is better for you engine to run 195 then it is 170 degrees in articles in magazines and threads here, You cooling system is doing a perfect job

I'm running a thermal clutch fan I also have two small pusher fans that don't seem to help at all. The radiator is a two row down flow type. Before I installed this radiator I used to run the stock radiator with a 16" pusher fan and when you where stopped at stop lights or backed up traffic the pusher fan would work perfect. I was just curious if I tried first to install a stock thermostat and see if the temp would stay more steady. I know everyone says that running at 195 is perfectly normal but what I don't like is it stays there and keeps wanting to climb than all of a sudden it slowly starts to drop back down to 180. It is a brand new thermostat. The reason why I put the two little pusher fans on was because I couldn't fit my big 16" fan back on there when I installed the condensor coil in front of the radiator.

Your temp should climb a bit and fluctuate as your ac pressures fluctuate.

I bet if you got a wicked, bad *** pusher fan you would maintain your ideal 180 temp but it will take a pretty stout fan to blow across the condenser and even more ideal would be a shrouded fan and something in the 3000 cfm range.

Your temp should climb a bit and fluctuate as your ac pressures fluctuate.

I bet if you got a wicked, bad *** pusher fan you would maintain your ideal 180 temp but it will take a pretty stout fan to blow across the condenser and even more ideal would be a shrouded fan and something in the 3000 cfm range.

Yep, Between the a/c compressor cycles, and the clutch in the fan, temp fluctuation is normal.
Consider also that you are measuring water temperature at the sender location. The average engine temperature { ( 195 plus 180 ) divide by 2 } . You dont have a problem.

-
Back