Which rear axle gaskets

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
'68 Dart. The service manual says to install a "rubber asbestos" gasket on the axle housing studs as the first gasket prior to installing the brake support plate. The gaskets that I have are thin steel (look like powder coated???), not rubber asbestos. Fel-Pro #55032 (aka 15-1008). Is this the right gasket to go between the axle housing and the brake plate? Then, the foam gasket goes on after the brake plate, correct??

There are two different gaskets:

1) Foam gasket, felpro # 13800 goes between the housing and the drum backing plate; and
2) Metal gasket, felpro # 55032 goes between the axle flange and drum backing plate.

If you run the green bearings with the o-ring, you can omit the gaskets.

I agree. That's the gasket position and application that I thought also. But here is what is causing my confusion. The shop manual clearly says to put a "rubber asbestos" gasket (which I don't have) between the housing and the brake plate, and to put the foam gasket on after the brake plate. That doesn't make sense to me either, so I guess the shop manual could be wrong.

20220820_114725.jpg

The rubber asbestos gasket was replaced for obvious reasons with the current dark foam gasket and the old white foam gasket was replaced with the modern embossed steel piece. That said, you can still buy the white foam gaskets from a few spots.

'68 Dart. The service manual says to install a "rubber asbestos" gasket on the axle housing studs as the first gasket prior to installing the brake support plate. The gaskets that I have are thin steel (look like powder coated???), not rubber asbestos. Fel-Pro #55032 (aka 15-1008). Is this the right gasket to go between the axle housing and the brake plate? Then, the foam gasket goes on after the brake plate, correct??
Yes, axle housing, then the steel gasket, then backing plate, then foam gasket, then axle shaft assembly with the bearing retainer.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but now I've go one vote for the foam gasket first and one vote for the steel gasket first. Maybe I should have made this a poll.:lol:

I just use black Rtv and make sure both surfaces are clean of dirt and rust and torque it down.

-
Back