Which rear end is best?

-

RDupont01

Reaction score
I am new to Mopar with a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger. Curious on what the best rear end would be. I dont want to spend a ton of money. But what I am looking for is a posi rear end with gears that would be snappy out of the whole but still allow me to cruise at 75 with out pushing the revs to high. I am running 18x8 in the rear with a 45 series tire. Also, wat would be a good tranny with my current 318 and possible bump up to a 360 later, wanting atleast 4 gears possibly 5. Any suggestions? Thanks!

3.55, 742 8 3/4" with clutch pack "SURE GRIP".

I'll agree with that, although a 741 or 489 case would also do. An A-body 8 3/4" is going to cost you some coin though. You might be better off to find a B/C/E body rear and have it narrowed.

How much power are you planning on putting to the rear wheels? An 8.25" will hold up for quite a while under low power, low traction conditions and will almost certainly be cheaper than an 8 3/4".

I am new to Mopar with a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger. Curious on what the best rear end would be. I dont want to spend a ton of money. But what I am looking for is a posi rear end with gears that would be snappy out of the whole but still allow me to cruise at 75 with out pushing the revs to high. I am running 18x8 in the rear with a 45 series tire. Also, wat would be a good tranny with my current 318 and possible bump up to a 360 later, wanting atleast 4 gears possibly 5. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"Best" and "most cost effective" are not necessarily the same thing. "Best" would be a Dana 60 with 3.54 gears. Would it be cost effective? No, but you'd never break the sumbitch.

for a 318 you could even use an 8 1/4 they are not as strong as the 8 3/4 but a LOT cheaper and they came standard in 360 cars as well,
A833 manual 4speed in standard or overdrive

For cheap look at a ford 8.8 under a mustang or explorer, some of the have 3.73 and they have rear disc brakes. Move spring perches on them. Next 8 1/4 , then 8 3/4. It took a long time but I found a complete a body 8 /4 down to the drums, shock plates,e brake cables and perfect 3.23 single for 325. That was a year and a half ago. Keep looking around especially on craigslist.

.................... "Best" would be a Dana 60 with 3.54 gears. ......................

"Best" I'd guess means "best for me."

For me, I'd rather have a rear---If I'm gonna spend money---that I can easily change ratios, so this means a third member type rear.

(Cough gag) Ford 9"

one think to remember is the ford 8.8 has 3.25" axle tube not 3" so some trimming on the perches will need to be done.

The purists will rant 8 3/4 or Dana 60. But what can you get your hands on? A buddy gave me a brand new currie 9+ center section, set of tubes cost me $75. Seriously doubt I would have gotten either a 8 3/4 or Dana housing, brand new for $75 plus the price of getting it put together, which was included inthe fab work $$$ on my car...

go with a 7 1/4 and i know a guy that has one. (me) and he will sell it to you for the cost of shipping.

lol just kidding

OK, so here's a question that maybe deserves its own thread. At what point does it make sense to look at a fabricated rear axle housing like the Moser 875?
At the price A-body 8-3/4 housings are going for, it's almost cost effective to go with a fabricated housing. I was just on the Moser website and priced a new fabricated A-body housing with 35-spline axles, green bearings, and set up for stock Mopar brakes (I've already got B-body 11" drum brakes to use) for $1065.

well that was my thought as well. But I need a dana as I am planning on really big power. (at or over 1000hp eventually) so I decided to build it once and forget it.it will cost a little more now, but not haveing to worry if it brakes and spending more and more $$$ to keep it going is fine by me.

I read somewhere in a mopar tech write up that the 489 center section was the "more sought after" I can't remember all the reasoning behind it but I remember reading that it had the larger yoke on it.

but anyhow...I agree with the others on gears for an all around good gear.

8 3/4 rear end would be a good one to pick up but is not the only option.

your in the right place for all the questions.

Alot of folks here that really know there stuff.

-
Back