Which size exhaust to go with?

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
All headers collect into a 3 inch tube right?

so anything else uses a reducer off the get go, no problem.

will a 3 inch exhaust system from header to the tail pipe fit under an a body without any problems?

specifically I am looking for my 68 dart.

furthermore, with my 360 engine, do I need 3 inch exhaust? will a smaller diameter be better or worse? will a 3 inch system be worse?

there is a reason for the differing sizes, what has everyone else used?

Theres 3 inch systems on the market from Jegs, Sumitt and Pypes. Probably others as well. But they come to mind first.

Anyway.... depending on HP level, a 2-1/2 will handle most engines well and do it quiter. There is an advantage to a 3 inch pipe @ around the 450 HP level. But it is small. It really shines @ 500 HP+, where it will really show.

The biggest issue in exhaust is; mandrel bent pipes, constant diameter in the muffler and if you have the coin to do a "X" pipe system, it would be well worth your time to do so.

It does get tight no matter the car body style.

Well, you can kind of generalize it like;

For the small block

2-1/4 good for stock or minor mods, and headers, maybe a small cam as well.

2-1/2 good for 300 HP to approx 450 HP

3 inch best for 450+ and up

Engines looking to whoop some *** somewhere someplace anytime (And a nice freindly word to the comp. "Is now is good for you to lose?")
Like I said above, around 450 HP there is a gain, but this tube size should be very good to really chase down some real decent times for a street/strip car or track car.
At this size, your looking to maximize power without concern to noise level. Baby's and old ladys will love you for it....if you don't have it coming home at midnight. :rock:

Hows that? Help ya some?

think rumblefish wrote just what i think also! 3" is a very good way of getting to get to know all your neighbours in a not so friendly way ;)

Well, you can kind of generalize it like;

For the small block

2-1/4 good for stock or minor mods, and headers, maybe a small cam as well.

2-1/2 good for 300 HP to approx 450 HP

3 inch best for 405+ and up

Engines looking to whoop some *** somewhere someplace anytime (And a nice freindly word to the comp. "Is now is good for you to lose?")
Like I said above, around 450 HP there is a gain, but this tube size should be very good to really chase down some real decent times for a street/strip car or track car.
At this size, your looking to maximize power without concern to noise level. Baby's and old ladys will love you for it....if you don't have it coming home at midnight. :rock:

Hows that? Help ya some?

you have a way with words my friend. that did help much

You could run 3" to the mufflers and then run 2 1/2 after them. A muffler shop can do it no problem and 2 1/2 will go over the rear axle easier than 3" will. I doubt if you could really tell the difference on the street.

TTI probably makes the hands down most liked system around for a pretty penny--if your going ot go 3" I'd go that route, you'll minimize your headaches trying to get it to fit. Key word is "minimize". I dont think I've read anyone's comments about how a 3" system slipped right in...but that's the system I'm going with.

Had 3 inch on my 69 dart with headers dumped at rear wheels way to loud now 21/2 with turbo mufflers and x pipe perfect muscle car sound! Kevin.

2.5" is plenty for most street cars, cheaper, quiter in most cases and easier to install.

However my last 3 cars all ended up with 3", lol

I believe my car has a 2 and 1/4" right now and I have got complaints from a neighbor when I come home from work, I have bought a 2 and 1/2" and can't wait to put it on.

I believe my car has a 2 and 1/4" right now and I have got complaints from a neighbor when I come home from work, I have bought a 2 and 1/2" and can't wait to put it on.

Nah, what you want is those high buck electrical exhaust cut outs that Summit sells. Then you could now and then, at the right times have NO mufflers on that motor :finga:

But don't go crying here if somebody filps out on you.

If your gonna move back here i can help you build a 2 1/2 system like i put on my charger.

Nah, what you want is those high buck electrical exhaust cut outs that Summit sells. Then you could now and then, at the right times have NO mufflers on that motor :finga:

But don't go crying here if somebody filps out on you.

Yea, would be a lot easier and quicker then uncapping the headers and driving around, like I did once back in high school.

We just got finished installing the TTI 3' all the way around exhaust bolt on kit, with the X pipe. Pics are comming soon. It was our first exhaust system install and other then them sending us the wrong hangers (which they happily traded back) there was no problems at all. The TTI system is built to fit PERFECTLY :finga: It does look a little funny as it sits on jack stands but other then that im very happy with it!

I also installed the complete 3" TTI exhaust which included the headers to the factory style tips on my 74 Dart Sport and love the fit and the sound. The wife actually told me it was a little to quiet for the track though. She says if your going drag racing you got to make more noise than that. It was pricey but excellent fit.

i was planning to go with a 2.5 inch exhaust system with the warlock mufflers that have the cut out to make it a quick straight out exhaust system, I also plan to put in an X pipe.

am not sure yet whether or not I will install new headers or not though, and tail pipes are in some places a legal neccessity so i will need those.

-
Back