Which stroker kit for 470" b-engine

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I have been saving my pennies for quite some time now and have enough cash to start ordering large parts for my next engine build. I have decided that I want to do a low deck stroker. I have decided on the 470 for two reasons...... If im wrong with this thinking please correct me. I love being educated!!!!!!

1. the 470 is as big as you can go with internal oiling and not pushing the wrist pin into the oil rings.

2. 470 is about as big as you can go and still stay with stock-ish size heads.

I have a set of performer RPM heads on my current 383. They have just minor touch up work and are basically out of the box stock. I dont want to step up to indy heads or the new victor heads just because that is another 2-3k investment when I think i can reach my hp goals with the rpm head.

I am leaning toward the Muscle Motors kits but am open to other opinions. I am looking to make 550-600hp on pump gas with my eddy heads, performer rpm intake and a solid roller cam. I already have the comp cams pro magnum rockers so valve train is up to the task.

Lets hear your input guys.

According to 440 source you could go to 512 and not have an issue with #1. They claim they can be run with RPM heads.

with the smaller port head and 470" that thing prolly make great torque. rpm heads should be good for your goal with a good bowl job

According to 440 source you could go to 512 and not have an issue with #1. They claim they can be run with RPM heads.

I have heard that 440 source quality has gotten better but i am still not completely sold on them. the 470 kit from muscle motors is 2k.

with the smaller port head and 470" that thing prolly make great torque. rpm heads should be good for your goal with a good bowl job[/QUOTE

thats kinda the goal! I want to build this engine. drive to the track. run mid 10s and drive home. id like to shift it at 6-6200 and let it live forever.

Same thing I want to build Younggun ... Muscle Motors 470 kit will be ordered in a week or so also waiting on Trickflow heads .... still deciding on a solid roller cam ... mock up in avatar .... ..... DTM

1. - incorrect. You can go longer using Chevy rod pin sizes: aka 496/512.
2. - partially correct. The more head you give it, the better it will work. A big motor, with little ports, will make peak torque earlier, and die off earlier.

But with the 84 cc eddy heads I don't think I have enough to support that many cubic inches? Or do I? I don't wanna spend 2k porting my heads.

The volume of the runners is what needs to be looked at, a smaller cubic inch motor doesnt need huge ports to make power, unless you are really going to wind it up, a bigger cubic inch motor can use the larger ports and keep the power in a lower rpm range, all depends on what you want to rev it too, having them ported will help, no doubt, but for 550-600 i think you would be fine with what you have,

Ordered my stroker kit yesterday along with having a solid roller ground......DTM

I called Trickflow today and asked about the Mopar heads and the guy said release will be the end of May or the beginning of June .....

But with the 84 cc eddy heads I don't think I have enough to support that many cubic inches? Or do I? I don't wanna spend 2k porting my heads.

It depends on the result you want. Using the "2cfm/hp" rule of thumb you need about 10% more than the as-cast E Street/RPMs can do unless you want to run a very serious camshaft. One way or another air has to get in and out. If the heads can't flow enough fast enough, you either keep the valve open further and longer, or get a port that can flow what you need in the time you're giving it. The problem IMO is 470 isn't much more than a 440 in terms of how it acts. So a big cam will mean rougher idle, etc.
Can they make it? Yes.
Will you be able to run a shelf grind street roller or street/strip flat tappet cam to do so? Not in my opinion.

If it was me I'd look into a set of CNC RPMs and just sign on the dotted line.

Edit: Seeing IQ is doing the work - have him do the heads too...

It depends on the result you want. Using the "2cfm/hp" rule of thumb you need about 10% more than the as-cast E Street/RPMs can do unless you want to run a very serious camshaft. One way or another air has to get in and out. If the heads can't flow enough fast enough, you either keep the valve open further and longer, or get a port that can flow what you need in the time you're giving it. The problem IMO is 470 isn't much more than a 440 in terms of how it acts. So a big cam will mean rougher idle, etc.
Can they make it? Yes.
Will you be able to run a shelf grind street roller or street/strip flat tappet cam to do so? Not in my opinion.

If it was me I'd look into a set of CNC RPMs and just sign on the dotted line.

Edit: Seeing IQ is doing the work - have him do the heads too...[/QUOTE

That is the plan!!!!! I am going to get all my parts ahead of time and then drive over to Idaho and make a little mini vacation out of it. This way I can offset the large cost of the build by purchasing parts in stages. Then it will be alot easier to afford the machine work and assembly.

I understand that a 600hp stroker motor with a solid mech. roller cam is going to be pretty damn radical on the street. hell even un practical but I know what its like. Im already driving the car with 4500 stall, 4:10 rear gear and a solid lifter cam. I just want to go faster. The car wont ever see more then 75 miles round trip. I drive it around town and beat on it and I plan to drive it 18 miles each way to the drags and back during the summer. Its not my ride to work or a daily driver. More or less I want a "street legal" drag strip brawler.

IQ is doing a set of RPM's for me as we speak and also having a custom solid roller done up for me. He's talking some serious HP numbers too.

IQ is doing a set of RPM's for me as we speak and also having a custom solid roller done up for me. He's talking some serious HP numbers too.

As I type this I can hear Cody grinding on them right now.

He just finished a set of MP 452 aluminum heads. They are just like the RPM heads but with the straight plugs. These 452 used the stock port window and the stock 2.14/181 valves and flowed,

Lift...........OOTB IN/EX.............Ported IN/EX

.100................70/57....................75/60
.200..............145/112.................153/128
.300..............205/163.................218/172
.400..............245/197.................265/211
.500..............260/217.................295/242
.600..............276/231.................309/264
.700..............281/239.................322/280

So as ported they have a good 650hp potential. Yours of course will flow better than these with the improvements we are making.

That post actually gave me some goosebumps.

So my heads look like this now?

Attachments

• HemiHead_D.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 516
I am also waiting on the Trick Flow CNC Powerport 240 heads

Out of the box airflow results per Trick Flow:

Lift Intake Exhaust
.100" 78 58
.200" 154 130
.300" 230 186
.400" 282 222
.500" 310 243
.600" 326 253
.700" 334 262

I am also waiting on the Trick Flow CNC Powerport 240 heads

Out of the box airflow results per Trick Flow:

Lift Intake Exhaust
.100" 78 58
.200" 154 130
.300" 230 186
.400" 282 222
.500" 310 243
.600" 326 253
.700" 334 262

Those are good flows. The TrickFlow head is cnc ported and comes with 2.19/1.78 valves. We are using the stock 2.14/ 1.81 valves in the 452 heads. We do have ports in the RPM heads with larger valves that are flowing 335cfm @ .600, 350cfm @ .700 and 354cfm @ .750.

......Correction...... TrickFlow exhaust valve...........1.760

Those are good flows. The TrickFlow head is cnc ported and comes with 2.19/1.78 valves. We are using the stock 2.14/ 1.81 valves in the 452 heads. We do have ports in the RPM heads with larger valves that are flowing 335cfm @ .600, 350cfm @ .700 and 354cfm @ .750.

whats it cost to prep a set of used eddy rpm heads to these numbers? or even not that radical just some moderate port work to increase the out of the box numbers.

Those are good flows.......
Trick Flow quoted me "less than" $1900 per pair. I'm hoping that these will be all I ever need on my
470 low-deck stroker street motor that I have under construction. Compression ratio will be 10.09:1.
I'm considering either the largest Comp hydraulic roller (.544 int lift) or a small solid roller in the area
between .570 and .620 lift. Opinions on the camshaft selection will be much appreciated. I
probably won't be going to the race track.

Link: http://www.trickflow.com/pressreleases/powerport240cylinder/

Just talked to Trick Flow again and tried to pre-order a set (paid in full) because I'm afraid that there will be quite
a line. They wouldn't take my money but stated that when they are ready (end of May) there will be "plenty".

whats it cost to prep a set of used eddy rpm heads to these numbers? or even not that radical just some moderate port work to increase the out of the box numbers.

To prep used RPM heads for the low end is $600. For the ported and upper end used RPM's it's $1,200-$1,800. We do not CNC heads, all of our porting is done by hand.

If the TrickFlow heads can deliver what they claim, they are going to be a great deal and Edelbrock will have to step up their game.

To this point in time, no cylinder head has ever tested to their claimed OOTB flows on our flowbench.

-
Back