Which style carpet and how does it compare between suppliers?

-
Have them send you some samples. Get what you like. 80/20 looks like original.

With mass back, you can skip sound deadener, carpet lays better, and becomes water proof to the floor pan, if you have the extra $60, it is generally recommended.

I like to the loop, the cut pile looks like house carpet. The loop may wear better, tighter and more spring under your feet. If the Massback is integrated into the carpet, it should lay nice and flat as it is physically heavy. The stock carpet tends to "bow up" over floorboard bumps, off the sound mat.

Go to the SEARCH option above and type in carpet (search titles)... you will get a ton of info. Heres just a couple:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969754171#post1969754171

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=90765

Also- I believe most of the replacement carpets sold in North America are all made by ACC?
And definitely get some samples- they ship em out quickly. Different lots will produce slightly different shades of the color you are looking for.
I put the Mass backing on mine- but there is jute attached to it as well... so not waterproof (see pic). I also used a sound deadner- maybe overkill but quiet and cool inside!

Attachments

• 1amass.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 401
The ACC stuff is good quality. It holds up well under everyday usage. It's not too difficult to install, just have to take time and be systematic.

When you ask the question best, I have to ask what kind of car is it and what are your goals? The 72 and earlier cars used a 100% Nylon loop pile carpet. The books I have say 72 and later use cut pile. I've seen a few of each in the 72 and have seen loop pile in later 4-doors. IMO loop pile wears better than cut pile.

Why the 80/20? It's cheaper to make and less likely to turn you into a static electricity generator. If you've experienced a spark jump from your hand to the dashboard, you know what I'm talking about.

The heel pad changed in 1967. Many merchandisers will try to sell you the ribbed pad instead of the dotted pad for a 1966 car. It's wrong. The '66 Darts used the dotted heel pad. (Rule of thumb match heel pad to the brake pedal.)

With mass back, you can skip sound deadener, carpet lays better, and becomes water proof to the floor pan, if you have the extra $60, it is generally recommended.[/QUOTE]

I will never order that MASS backed carpet again...I have installed many carpets over the years but that was the worst...HUGE PITA.....not worth the extra money . I installed it in my 4 speed Demon on a nice summer day. Right up untill the day I sold that car the carpet never sat right. I think it was that stiff rubber backing they use just wouldn't mould right, give the old 80/20 jute backed carpet anyday.
AL

How does this sound?

1. Put down my own sound deadener.
2. I'll order the 500 series 80/20 loop, nothing special.
3. Let it sit in the sun, or use a heat dish contraption (my wife bought one to use in the mornings when its cold and didn't want to turn on the heater) to soften the carpet
4. Glue or Screw (where appropriate) the high spots of the carpet that don't sit proper to the deadener.

What after market floor consoles are available for a 65 dart gt? Do I need to have any specific provisions in place for one?

How does this sound?

1. Put down my own sound deadener.
2. I'll order the 500 series 80/20 loop, nothing special.
3. Let it sit in the sun, or use a heat dish contraption (my wife bought one to use in the mornings when its cold and didn't want to turn on the heater) to soften the carpet
4. Glue or Screw (where appropriate) the high spots of the carpet that don't sit proper to the deadener.

What after market floor consoles are available for a 65 dart gt? Do I need to have any specific provisions in place for one?

Sounds good. I used jute for backing but you could as well use Acoustamat or something like it.

The carpet comes folded and rolled in the box. It's a good idea to roll it out and just let it sit out for a while.

A hair drier (gun style) is a good heat source, too. You may want to have something like a hammer handle available to poke and prod the carpet into position while the heat is on. Tends to irritate the hands, otherwise.

You can do this. Good luck.

P.S. You can install the 66-76 console if you have all of the parts and can weld the mounts. The other is to get creative and design & build your own. You know something to hold your cell phone, cups/cans of beverages, or provide a home for your sound system and avoid cutting the dash. Your car, your call.

-
Back