Which t-56 for 5.7 hemi

-

Justadodgema

Reaction score
Me an my dad have been wanting to restore a demon for a long time so I've been wanting to go ahead and build a 5.7(400-450hp NA) and I'm gonna throw a t-56 behind it while im looking for a good deal on a demon. I see there is a gm, ford, and viper versions but what would have the best gearing. I'm going to get it brand new cause I don't want to finally put a tranny in and find out its blown so a part number would be awesome

You can also try looking for a GM F-Body transmission as they're rated to 450 ft-lbs, I believe. You may need to go through it but I see quite a bit of them on CL for $1-1.5k. They're are differences between that and a Viper or Magnum T56.

I'm using a Viper T56 from a 96 Viper. The 95-96 ones were rated for 600 ft/lbs. But then again it's got Borg-Warner stampings on it instead of Tremec.

Riddler

Just out of cuirosity, why so attached to the T-56? Wouldent an 833 bolt up no sweat with a plethera of ratio's to choose and pair with the pumpkin? Even an OD unit at the cost of strengh? Im honesty just woundering. Other than +2 extra gears? Which is justification enough i guess...

Just out of cuirosity, why so attached to the T-56? Wouldent an 833 bolt up no sweat with a plethera of ratio's to choose and pair with the pumpkin? Even an OD unit at the cost of strengh? Im honesty just woundering. Other than +2 extra gears? Which is justification enough i guess...
Nothing against anything here, I just don't like a one trick pony. My T56 is an 833 1st-4th gear and then its 168mph in 5th at 6000 rpm and 2000rpm at 80 mph in 6th. Any transmission that can be bolted to a 318 can be bolted to a GenIII.

Just out of cuirosity, why so attached to the T-56?

Because you get to have your cake, and eat it, too. The Viper T56 has a double overdrive- with a .50 ratio for 6th gear. That means lazy highway driving while still sporting steep rear end gearing.

I've been quoted and will be pulling the trigger soon on a T56 Magnum. I am not lucky with used parts and don't think I will be ultimately happy with a 5-speed. Which pretty much puts me into a T56 Mag..

You can also try looking for a GM F-Body transmission as they're rated to 450 ft-lbs, I believe. You may need to go through it but I see quite a bit of them on CL for $1-1.5k. They're are differences between that and a Viper or Magnum T56.

I'd like to get a tranny that can hold at least 500 cause depending on the money situation I may go for a little more power. I'd rather just buy new cause I know how that **** goes after my dad buying a nissan engine that had more stripped bolts than I have ever seen. Thank god for helicoils.

Nothing against anything here, I just don't like a one trick pony. My T56 is an 833 1st-4th gear and then its 168mph in 5th at 6000 rpm and 2000rpm at 80 mph in 6th. Any transmission that can be bolted to a 318 can be bolted to a GenIII.

This is one of the main reasons I ended up with a T56. I made a spreadsheet with all the main transmissions options and looked at gear ratios and rpm drops between gears and the 833 was my favorite. The T56 is nearly identical with 2 extra gears as stated. Most of the aftermarket setups (namely TKOs) have super granny first gears and huge rpm drops from first to second which I really didn't care for.

As far as brands, the primary differences between them are the input and output shafts. Ford, GM, and Dodge (Viper) will have different tooth counts for both shafts I believe. The earlier Viper ones also use a standard 833/727 driveshaft yoke I believe, so you can reuse it, which is one of the main reasons I wanted a Viper one since I just bought a new yoke earlier. Later Viper ones use a bigger yoke. The gear ratios are pretty similar between all the brands too. The main difference is in the overdrive gears. All Vipers versions and a few others use a 0.5:1 final overdrive and I think 0.74:1 5 gear. The other option is something like a 0.64:1 6th gear with something like 0.8:1 5th gear.

Hi there! I'm also starting to gather the parts to put a 2010 5.7 hemi in my 68 cuda. A new T56 magnum is in the plans. Is there any advantage in using the GM TUET11009 (with a rm8074 bellhousing) vs the Ford TUET11010 (with a rm6076? bellhousing). Tremec shows the GM as hydraulic clutch and the Ford mechanical. I've searched the posts and it looks like both have been used. Does one fit any better than the other? I am planning for a hydraulic clutch. Was also wondering if anyone fitted a console on their conversion? Any info would be welcome! A local supplier has their prices based on an 80 something cent canadian dollar but it's soon to change. Gotta move my butt on this one!

Hi there! I'm also starting to gather the parts to put a 2010 5.7 hemi in my 68 cuda. A new T56 magnum is in the plans. Is there any advantage in using the GM TUET11009 (with a rm8074 bellhousing) vs the Ford TUET11010 (with a rm6076? bellhousing). Tremec shows the GM as hydraulic clutch and the Ford mechanical. I've searched the posts and it looks like both have been used. Does one fit any better than the other? I am planning for a hydraulic clutch. Was also wondering if anyone fitted a console on their conversion? Any info would be welcome! A local supplier has their prices based on an 80 something cent canadian dollar but it's soon to change. Gotta move my butt on this one!

I'd probably stick with a GM trans if you want to go hydraulic to limit any need to convert stuff. If you know it started that way then you know you can get parts for it. It might not require much effort to convert a Ford unit, but it could also be a hassle as you might have to swap a front plate or bearing retainer or something that you could have just started with to begin with. I'm sure you could make it work either way, but the path of least resistance is nice to try to determine. I went with Viper parts because I knew they would already mate with my other Dodge parts so I didn't have an even more convoluted car like a driveshaft with mismatched yokes or something.

-
Back