Which Thermostat?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Going to install the LD4B intake manifold and Performer 600 4-bbl carburetor on my stone stock '71 318 Dart GT (auto, 3.23:1 8 3/4" sure-grip, 2 1/4" duals with factory exhaust manifolds) soon.

Stopped by the auto parts store for a couple of things, one of which is a new thermostat. The parts guy said OE part is rated at 195*, but has 180* and 160* available. Which should I use with the combination above? (BTW I also picked up the Fel-Pro 1213 intake manifold gasket set (water crossovers blocked off)).

Any advice/direction is appreciated!

Going to install the LD4B intake manifold and Performer 600 4-bbl carburetor on my stone stock '71 318 Dart GT (auto, 3.23:1 8 3/4" sure-grip, 2 1/4" duals with factory exhaust manifolds) soon.

Stopped by the auto parts store for a couple of things, one of which is a new thermostat. The parts guy said OE part is rated at 195*, but has 180* and 160* available. Which should I use with the combination above? (BTW I also picked up the Fel-Pro 1213 intake manifold gasket set (water crossovers blocked off)).

Any advice/direction is appreciated!

split the differance and run a 180

..if you want to split hairs the 195 should give a little more power, better mileage and less wear.
..some think 195 is too hot.

Quote: (water crossovers blocked off)).

You're talking the exhaust crossover in the middle of the manifold right.

i only used a 180 because they didnt have a 195. IMO..is doesnt matter, my engine acts the same, runs the same, cools the same, and gas mileage to me irrelevant

..........195 is the best..............kim..........
For mileage, performance, and emissions, I agree. For wiring, hoses, and anything plastic under the hood, no. You're more likely to crack a manifold at the higher temps also especially with the current gasoline formula. I kinda like a little more cushion between operating temp and overheat myself, so I use a 180 in everything I own.

In a '71 I would use a 180° thermostat rather than a 195° to control percolation and other fuel-related hassles with today's reformulated gasoline. I would definitely not use a 160° unit, and if fuel headaches weren't an issue (consistently cold ambient temperatures, for example) I'd use a 195°. See recent previous thread here.

(The difference between a 180° and a 195°*thermostat is not enough to adversely affect anything plastic or rubber under the hood that is starting out in good shape, and you're certainly not going to crack a manifold by using a 195°*thermostat.)

-
Back