Which would you bid on?

-

moosestang

Reaction score
I'm going to go to this auction in 2 weeks and bid on 1 of these. I honestly like the black with blue interior the best just from a color combination standpoint, but the other 2 have no reserve and one is a manual with the 360 motor. I haven't owned an automatic in 24 years.

Anyone care to guess what these will go for at auction? This is the order they will cross the block. The 2 red cars are from the John F. Melton collection. 42 of the cars are from the same collection.
1965 Plymouth Barracuda
1965 Plymouth Barracuda
1966 Plymouth Barracuda

All three very nice cars I would guess in the 20,000 plus or minus

66 red, get some different wheels first thing.
65 red, it looks great
65 black, don't like it.

Hard to say how much, they are not a hot seller so you may get a deal, but auctions are up and down.

All three very nice cars I would guess in the 20,000 plus or minus
That is what i'm guessing. i've seen a very nice one bid to 18k and not sell due to reserve. I'm sure i will be bidding against these classic car dealers looking to flip it for the most profit possible so they aren't going to go over 20. After they pay the fees it won't be worth it for them.

for me that black one is beautiful... but keeping black nice is a night mare.. really like that though.. the second red one.. 360 with a 4 sped... yes please.. But if you are looking for for a cruiser the first red one looks perfect for that.. not a lot of help :)

66 red, get some different wheels first thing.
65 red, it looks great
65 black, don't like it.

Hard to say how much, they are not a hot seller so you may get a deal, but auctions are up and down.
I'll probably get some 15 inch ralley wheels for it. I guess i'll know more when i go down to look at them. I could end up with 2 and have to find a new wife.

for me that black one is beautiful... but keeping black nice is a night mare.. really like that though.. the second red one.. 360 with a 4 sped... yes please.. But if you are looking for for a cruiser the first red one looks perfect for that.. not a lot of help :)
i'm not looking for power, i have a car for that, but i do prefer a manual. Just looking for a nice sounding classic with the least amount of flaws i guess.

the black one looks pretty tidy. the drums are a turn off, but that's easily rectified. the sway bar is a plus. the radiator cradle looks a little sus, like it may have taken a punch at one time. i'd want to know the rear end and see some undercarriage pics along with the 1/4's, etc.

the AT red one, *shrugs* looks like just a bread and butter 273/2bbl that's pretty nice. nothing that's really wowing me. but in person that might be a different story one way or the other.

the MT car looks a little less polished than the other two. but 360 and 4spd goes a long way on that. i'd want way more details because early 4spd + V8 is just so easy to drift into hackasaurs-rex territory, but visually nothing is throwing red flags or setting off alarms (from the limited pictures).

i'd expect any of these to sell for high teens, low 20's

i like the potential of the black car the most, but the MT red car probably is the better buy. especially if you want a manual transmission. bodywork, chassis and running gear would be the deciding factor for me.

Am I crazy or is this the same 66 only 4 years ago at a dealer in daytona beach? With the exception of the plug wires, ignition module, shift knob and exhaust tips it looks like the same car. The pictures on the auction site of the 66 aren't taken with a very good camera. How many orange 66 barracudas with a 360 and 4 spd can there be?

I will never, ever, buy a black car again. Still have two, down from five at one time, three drivers. By the time I finished washing the third, the first was filthy again. No more.....

None of them are formula S cars. I would check the fender tags on the 65's to see if they are "performance package cars." You would get more for your money. I agree the Black one is my choice. 18K

Emblems on the '65s indicate two barrel cars from the factory. VIN on the '66 is a slant. Without looking at each car carefully to see how any mods were done I wouldn't bid on any of them.

the red 65 is 2 barrel from the factory for sure. The black one is hard to tell as Jim said it doesn't have commando badging but it looks like it might have an anti sway bar. You never can be too sure what happens to these cars over the years. Value is in the eye of the prospective buyer.

I bid on the black one, but was out bid. Would have been almost $24k after fees and shipping. It sold for $19,5. now it's being sold at a dealer in ohio for $29,800, lol! What a racket. Not even going to bother with any of these classic car dealers anymore. 1965 Plymouth Barracuda I will find something within driving distance or just won't buy anything. They didn't even take new pictures!

Last edited:
-
Back