Which year or years 360 is best

-
I've seen mold changes over the years but I've found the later ones to be cast more accurately with less iron, but not always with the desired result. I've also heard (again, I think more of a rumor) that the factory in the mid 70s lowered the quality of iron but added thickness to the bore cores so the strength was not affected. I think unless you were worked at the foundry, you won't "know" for sure on much of anything other than they are iron...lol.

Thanks guys. That's all great info.
I'm up in the Detroit area, a northern suburb of Detroit.

One follow on question, is there a difference with the truck 5.9s?

There's plenty of truck 5.9s up here in the U Pull It yards that I can get my hands on. But I don't want to jump on one and not be able to use it.

Thanks again.

block is the same
oil pan and pickup tube are different

Argue it however you want, but they all have their shortcomings one way or another. To me that pretty much levels the playing field. There won't be 100 horsepower difference between what it would take to spilt a block in half from the "best" year to the "worst", so it's really a moot point. Just run what you find.

Argue it however you want, but they all have their shortcomings one way or another. To me that pretty much levels the playing field. There won't be 100 horsepower difference between what it would take to spilt a block in half from the "best" year to the "worst", so it's really a moot point. Just run what you find.

Totally untrue, you haven't seen a poorly poured block yet I take it, where the sections actually didn't even stick. Some a are pretty darn bad.

Thanks guys.

So, it sounds like the best way to go may be a roller block, taking into consideration the quality of the casting.

Have many of you had problems with the magnum heads? I've read quite a bit about them being prone to cracking.

Thanks again.

i would go with as early as possible (ESPECIALLY if you plan on building a 408). the 360 was introduced in 1971 and up until about 73/74, the blocks were very strong and thick. They started using penny saving and weight saving techniques that really compromised the integrity when turning this 35+ year old iron into a high compression long stroke motor. Just my opinion, i have a 71' 360 block thats going to be a 408...someday! haha

I got 2 360 engines with my 68 fish. One is just the short block and the casting says it is a -1 and the date is 6-71 although the 71 looks a lot like a 77 but they had a different casting number in 77. Hopefully the -1 block is still good enough to make a stroker and it is still 4.00 bore!

The factory head Magnum design is fantastic for the CID range of 273-340. They will work well in upgraded form (EQ/RHS) on 360cid.
Just my opinion but I don't think even the upgraded Magnum heads are the wisest choice for a larger-than-factory engine starting from a blank slate. Especially one that will be racing and with a 4" stroke engine. However when budget is an issue they will produce decent results. IMO, once you think they need to be ported, move up to RPMs.

-
Back