White smoke! Blown head gasket?

-

Ron Grubb

Reaction score
It is an unmodified original 1965 273 it sat unstated for 34 years. Got started about a year ago. No smoking on original start up. Has only run for less than an hour since then. It has started to smoke White. My suspicion is blown head gasket. I’m I right/wrong. Other possibilities?

Iv debit with 2 blown head gaskets 1 gad green fluid coming out the tail pipe, one just smoked.

I’d start with a compression test.
If that’s not conclusive, then try a leak down test, and/or a cooling system pressure test.

I’d start with a compression test.
If that’s not conclusive, then try a leak down test, and/or a cooling system pressure test.
Yes sir. If it's white, it's coolant. The factory head gaskets are steel shim but not many have blown. Take there radiator cap off when it's cool enough to do so and look for bubbles in the coolant. Be careful.

It sat for 34 years unstarted and has only run for an hour since that time. Let it run a while. Go get some ice cream in it a few times. Take it to the grocery store some. Put some miles on it where it's actually doing a little work. Don't just condemn it over an hour in 34 years. It's entirely possible it's burning out built up moisture in the exhaust.

I thought white smoke could be oil and blue was fuel ? Years ago I had a Conquest and the seal or seals seemed to have gotten dried out after sitting for quite awhile. I bought a bottle of that No Smoke and it actually worked . I mean if there is no water in the oil would it hurt to give it a try ? I thinks its about $5 and like RustyRatRod said let it run awhile. Good luck to you

White smoke is water. After sitting dormant for so long, I would remove the heads and check for rust. Chances are even the head bolts may have loosened up a little after this much time off. I doubt they are damaged or the block is bad. Just a head gasket. Sadly the new style gaskets which will seal a lot of imperfections also are going to take away from compression. I had to have my cosmetic gaskets for my 273 made to make sure I did not loose anything and I’ve got the 4 bbl motor.
Good luck- keep her running. She deserves to be back on the road. Keep us posted too! Pics help.
Syleng1

Sitting for 34 years, things need to come back and relax will take some time. Maybe add some transmission fluid to the oil and down the cylinders.
Just my opinion. I agree with Rusty.

Shim steel head gasket + lots of years = rust. Gasket has probably rusted through the coolant holes, & coolant is getting into the chambers. The only other thing that produces white smoke is brake fluid. If power brakes, leaking booster seal & leaky [ old ] m/c will make white smoke.

It started putting out white smoke after running awhile... Long enough for the exhaust to heat up? Cause I've seen cars that sat for years wind up with water in the muffler/exhaust.... When the exhaust gets hot you get steam... I've seen it take a couple hours of running to cook the moisture out....

-
Back